East West Bosendorfer 290 and others

Posted by: stephenc

East West Bosendorfer 290 and others - 06/29/06 09:39 AM

Hi

I've been looking at products such as East Wests Bosendorfer 290, and Akoustic Piano. They really sound great, but i'm not sure exactly how they work. in another thread I mentioned I'd been using soundfont (sf2 files). These files respond very well to my playing on the digital keyboard (i.e touch sensitivity and pedalling), its just like loading new samples to the digital piano.

Do products such as the East West Bosendorfer 290 and Akoustic piano respond like this also? Can I play them 'live' through midi with touch sensitivity and pedalling on my digital.

Thanks for your help!
Posted by: troglodyte

Re: East West Bosendorfer 290 and others - 06/29/06 10:58 AM

I have the EW Bosendorfer 290. In a way you are right, it is like loading new samples into the digital piano. However, for it to work you need to hook up the piano to the computer and run the Bosendorfer there. It requires a huge amount of memory. I have 1G ram and it isn't really enough. It means I have to strip out layers (for example the string resonance layers for pedal down) and shorten the duration of the samples in memory, meaning the computer needs to access the disc for the rest, meaning it will stall if you are unlucky and play many notes at the same time. I have to disable the windows swap file and manually kill off memory consuming processes. Then there is a noticeable delay between the time you press the key and the sound. Despite some serious tweaking I never managed to get it to perform well on my system. In the end I just abandoned it, it was too much work.

Of course, if you only use it to render MIDI files it is another story, it may well be excellent for that, though that is not why I bought it.
Posted by: hv

Re: East West Bosendorfer 290 and others - 06/29/06 12:44 PM

I got the Seven Seas Sampletekk's library not long ago and its amazing. I run with 2 gigs ram myself and prefer the gs3 version. Though I sometimes run NI libs so I picked up that version too.

Howard
Posted by: johnny boy

Re: East West Bosendorfer 290 and others - 06/29/06 03:54 PM

I don't run Bosendrofer 280, but I have Art Vista Virtual Grand Piano (same idea - sampled software piano).

I picked this over Synthogy Ivory for various reasons, one of them being it runs better on slower computers.

I have a laptop with 2 GB memory but only Pentium M 1.6 GHz (it is about 3 years old), and 5400 RPM harddrive. However, I can get it to work with 128 polyphony and with very low latency (I don't feel it).

I play live with it with a MIDI controller via USB cable.