Piano World Home Page
Posted By: mauvee CLP 170 vs. CLP 990 - 10/11/04 09:32 AM
Hi.

Can someone explain the difference between the CLP 170 and CLP 990?

I am looking for a DP with excellent 'action' and voice. No bells 'n whistles needed. Just the best piano sound and action available. I certainly appreciate your advice.

Best,
Mauvee
Posted By: Lightnin Re: CLP 170 vs. CLP 990 - 10/11/04 11:24 AM
The www.yamaha.com web site has the specifications of all of their models.

The CLP990 description is not with the others now, because it says it is discontinued, but it is seen here

Most better models have 3 samples per key volume (soft, medium, loud), and 50 banks of samples (roughly one sample set for each 2 keys).

The CLP990 seems unique in that it has 5 sample steps per volume, and 88 sample sets, one for each key. I didnt even know they did that.

To really know all details, you can download the user manuals for any of these at their Service/Support menu, then Manual Library at the left side. Then you do a search for the model number, like CLP170
Posted By: signa Re: CLP 170 vs. CLP 990 - 10/11/04 02:19 PM
CLP170 is the latest and best model of CLP series, which should be the one you are looking for.
Posted By: nan Re: CLP 170 vs. CLP 990 - 10/11/04 02:31 PM
Mauvee, That's the decision I had to make after much piano shopping. I bought the CLP 990 and have been very happy with it. The dealer offered the CLP990 or 170 at the same price -- 3200 -- so price was not the issue between the two. I really wanted a wooden keyboard and that's what the CLP 990 offers. The 170 does have advantages over the 990 in that it is a newer model with newer samples. Maybe someone can explain all the technical differences. The 170 is very good. Is the 990 better? The dealer thought so but it was a higher end digital with more capabilities that someone like me who isn't technical doesn't really understand. I would probably have been just as happy with the 170. Sometimes the 990 keyboard does seem a little stiff to me (and I think maybe the 170 would have been better!)but then this is probably helping to strengthen my fingers. Also the pedals seem a little too high on the 990 but I put a book under my foot and it's fine now. The 990 is also harder to move around. Try them both out -- I think they are both excellent choices!
Posted By: signa Re: CLP 170 vs. CLP 990 - 10/11/04 05:41 PM
one advantege of CLP170 is its GH3 keyboard, which has more advanced graded hammer key action than the regular GH keyboard as the rest models. for advanced pianists, such GH3 keyboard could make a lot of difference.
Posted By: mch412 Re: CLP 170 vs. CLP 990 - 10/11/04 06:12 PM
The CLP170 has what Yamaha calls the instrument active field control. This allows the instrument to actually control the speakers based on where the instrument is positioned in your room. If you have an oportunity to play a 170 side by side with a 990, I think you will find there is a tremendous difference in sound quality.
Posted By: JimM Re: CLP 170 vs. CLP 990 - 10/11/04 07:59 PM
I have a CVP900 with the "natural" keyboard. The wooden keys are the least of the action difference - the hammer simulation mechanism is also totally different. Ask your dealer to show you the model that Yamaha hands out. Whether you like the feel better or not is up to you, like all "religious" issues you just have to see for yourself!
Posted By: Nunatax Re: CLP 170 vs. CLP 990 - 10/12/04 05:58 PM
I chose the 990 over the 170 a little more than a year ago. A 50% discount on the 990 was one reason, its touch was another. Though many people don't agree, I really feel that wooden keys make a tremendous difference (in a positive way). I'd love to compare the 170's touch to that of the 175's, it would be the ultimate test smile
Like has been said : the 170's sound is superior to the 990's, you'll certainly notice that when playing without headphones. I do recall though that the 170's first or second octave above middle C sounded a little shrill, something that has been confirmed by other people, this may get on your nerves.
Posted By: nan Re: CLP 170 vs. CLP 990 - 10/13/04 01:15 PM
Nunatax, I agree that the wooden keyboard on the 990 is better than the 170 which is why I bought it(the 990). What I noticed in the first few months was that sometimes I wished for a lighter keyboard -- but then have realized that over time my skills are improving. I definitely do think my fingers have gotten stronger and this helps me to do much better on the acoustic grand my teacher has. Now both the acousic and my 990 are easier to play on and my accuracy has improved considerably. (I've had it about six months.) So yes do compare models as much as possible but also realize that whatever you have been playing on and your skill level may determine what you like in the store. And possibly you may need the better keyboard -- which will help to improve your skills over time.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums