Casio AP-25

Posted by: skyking

Casio AP-25 - 12/23/02 04:59 PM

Looking for comments on the Casio AP-125. I'm new to the field and would appreciate any comments or suggestions about this instrument or comparable instruments in the same price range which I think is about 1200 dollars more or less.
Thanks
Posted by: Liberal

Re: Casio AP-25 - 01/03/03 06:14 PM

I've always felt Casios were good just because of their sounds and effects and things. For a true digital players piano, I wouldn't look at the Casios.

(if I was doing home recording or something I'd choose a casio)

Just my two cents.
Posted by: sleepyinseattle

Re: Casio AP-25 - 01/06/03 12:59 PM

I guess I can be a little more generous with the Casio AP-25. I've had one for about 3 months now and I've gotten to know its abilities and limitations.

As a beginner's piano (possibly a substitute for those shrill but inexpensive Korean uprights), it's quite a bargain at $799 (available at Costco). It's "maximum" polyphony of 64 notes is available only with the Grand Piano 2 voice which is a smaller sound sample (so it uses less memory). You can almost tell the difference in quality with the speakers. You can DEFINITELY tell the difference with headphones.

The sound samples seem just a hair's touch below Yamaha's when heard through headphones. Through the speakers, there is no perceptible difference versus the Yamaha YDP-121. The Grand Piano 1 sounds a bit boxy (but that's the same with any digital that has its speakers pointed downwards). The Piano 1 sample is brighter and is good for jazz.

The graded key weighting is split about down the middle and almost imperceptible unless you have a sensitive touch.

The AP-25 has only two pedals (versus three on the Ap-28 and on the Yamaha YDP-121/YDP-223). The soft pedal can be switched however to sostenuto if you need it. I seldom use the sostenuto.

As an entry-level learning piano, it's probably a better value than the YDP-121 (and it has MIDI in-n-out too). As a performance device, you'll need to spend more than your current budget.