Help in Brand/Model Decision

Posted by: SteveInMI

Help in Brand/Model Decision - 03/15/03 02:28 PM

Hello Everyone!

Hoping someone, or even a few of you, would make some recommendations as to brand/model purchase. We run a company that will be utilizing a digital piano for wedding use (both ceremony and reception). I would also like the opportunity to use it personally, though I am still in the beginning stages of playing. Could you recommend a product that would not only fulfill our needs for ceremony and cocktail music at weddings, but also be a unit that would allow for much growth potential as I hopefully advance my artistic interest. An ideal unit would provide for a good dollar to value ratio. I have been impressed with the Clavinova's, but don't know much about other brands. Some enlightening would be appreciated. Thank you all!
Posted by: SteveY

Re: Help in Brand/Model Decision - 03/15/03 03:01 PM

I'd imagine that a portable model would be useful for your needs. If so, I'd recommend a Roland RD700 (or RD150 if your budget is low). You'll also need a stand, sustain pedal, cables and an amplifier. Your dealer should be able to help you with those things.

Yamaha, Korg and Kurzweil also ofter similar products. In the end it's all personal preference.

Re: Help in Brand/Model Decision - 03/15/03 07:20 PM

Steve:
THanks for your input. What if I wanted something all-inclusive.... meaning speakers, amp, etc.. is self-contained?

Thank you again!
Posted by: SteveY

Re: Help in Brand/Model Decision - 03/15/03 08:59 PM

There are plenty of products that are "all in one", but none that I'd recommend for a wedding/reception. I don't think you'll be able to get the portability and volume you'll need.
Posted by: iyi bir piano

Re: Help in Brand/Model Decision - 03/27/03 08:02 PM

Roland make some really good digital pianos they also have atractive cabinetry, they are not as heavy as other brands; I think you also need something presentable besides just reliable, check with you local Roland dealer for something in the HP series.
Posted by: Luke's Dad

Re: Help in Brand/Model Decision - 03/28/03 10:00 PM

Try the Roland KR series. Great sound and touch (will be important for the musician that's hired to play), easy to use (see above), and the KR5 and KR7 have some beautiful cabinets in a variety of elegant finishes

The Clavinovas are very good, but in a side by side comparison, I think you'll prefer the Roland.

You should also try Technics and Kawai.

Re: Help in Brand/Model Decision - 03/29/03 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Luke's Dad:
Try the Roland KR series. Great sound and touch (will be important for the musician that's hired to play), easy to use (see above), and the KR5 and KR7 have some beautiful cabinets in a variety of elegant finishes

The Clavinovas are very good, but in a side by side comparison, I think you'll prefer the Roland.

You should also try Technics and Kawai.[/b]

Re: Help in Brand/Model Decision - 03/29/03 11:00 AM

Thank you very much for your reply .. I appreciate any and all insight in making this decision.
Posted by: BC

Re: Help in Brand/Model Decision - 03/30/03 07:05 PM

i personally own a Kawai CP170. I love it. If i were you i would wait till the new models of Kawai come out the CP175. They will have a CD burner on them. And that can be very good in your line of work. If you dont want a CD burner then you may beable to get a very good deal if a dealer has an old model still in stock. I chose the Kawai because it has a very very good feel and the very best piano sound available. Good luck.

BC