Bought a Yamaha cp33... now I need help with speakers (studio monitors)

Posted by: james13f

Bought a Yamaha cp33... now I need help with speakers (studio monitors) - 12/24/06 02:23 AM

Well I must say I am very happy that I just bought a Yamaha CP33... An awesome stage piano, the action is just great.

I bought a nice set of headphones but I'm stuck on speakers. I'd like to get a pair under $500 that will make a nice, full sound for the piano.

Wow I'm so glad I have a keyboard again... it's sooooo nice.
Posted by: bachmaniac

Re: Bought a Yamaha cp33... now I need help with speakers (studio monitors) - 12/24/06 09:54 AM

Hello James. I'm glad you are happy with your purchase. Enjoy. Personally, I recently got a pair of Behringer Truth B2031A powered monitors (450 watts total!) to amplify my Kawai CA-X. They are available online for $339 (a matched pair!) or even less if you shop diligently. With the Kawai they sound absolutely gorgeous, have that feel of built-in quality and awesome reserve power that will make you wonder how come they cost so little. I don't see why they wouldn't get along with your CP33... Look into it, they'd give you an amp system that totally licks any OEM equipment that manufacturers (Yamaha, Kawai, Roland) install in their console pianos.
Regards,
Claude
Posted by: Van

Re: Bought a Yamaha cp33... now I need help with speakers (studio monitors) - 12/25/06 08:11 PM

Is it difficult to hook them up to the keyboard?
Posted by: rick2

Re: Bought a Yamaha cp33... now I need help with speakers (studio monitors) - 12/25/06 08:23 PM

Why do you need monitors as opposed to "normal speakers" ?? Couldn't I just run the line out through my receiver/computer and acheive the same effect?
Posted by: bachmaniac

Re: Bought a Yamaha cp33... now I need help with speakers (studio monitors) - 12/26/06 12:41 AM

They are extremely easy to hook up, just a matter of plugging in 4 phone plugs. Any digital piano routed through your stereo system or through computer speakers will sound awful. It's too transient, too instantaneous a type of signal for it to not overload ordinary inputs when you happen to strike loud chords. It will overload and distort in every conceivable way. Also there are issues about the bass, you want it thundering, not boomy, plus you don't want peaks in your response in the 1500-3000Hz range, or else you'll end up with a strident, very poorly-voiced piano. Only quality studio monitors give you the kind of power reserve and linearity you absolutely need. A reasonably-priced pair of such monitors are the Behringer Truth B2031A, which sell for $339 or less, give you 225 pure watts per channel and will put a grin on your face.
Regards, Claude
Posted by: twosharps

Re: Bought a Yamaha cp33... now I need help with speakers (studio monitors) - 12/28/06 12:48 PM

I acquired a pair of KRK Rokit 5's for my P-90. While there may be more powerful speakers (studio monitors) out there, these suit my needs. They sure beat the cheapo 2.1 altec lansing computer speakers previously connected.
They are very easy to connect.
1. Get 2 cables w/ 1/4" phone connectors on each end. One end goes in one of the 1/4" outputs of the piano and the other goes into the back of the speaker. Do the same for the other speaker.
2. Attach the power cords and set the volumes to the "0 dB" point. If the speakers have a HF (high frequency) adjustment, adjust it to taste. Mine are set to "0 dB". Power on the monitors.
3. Power on the keyboard and set the volume low and then gradually increase volume. Viola!

Rick2: Yes, one can just use the line out's to a receiver's AUX input and then on to a pair of speakers, if one has the equipment close to the piano. But if one doesn't, then using a pair of high quality studio monitors will cut down on clutter, as well give a very accurate sound.

To my ears, the Rokit 5's are very good. I auditioned them at the guitar center and they were hooked to a computer with its EQ set flat. They play loud and clean for their smallish size. Guitar center sells them for about $150 a piece ($300 a pair). A pair of cables will raise the price another 20ish $.
I hear that the Behringer Truths are a good monitor too. Audition them if you can (crank them up!) and buy them if you like them!