how to performe live?

Posted by: chrisland

how to performe live? - 11/16/04 05:15 PM

hi, i want to start playing in a band the next couple of months! can anyone give me some help, because im just playing with one keyboard but want to use some racksynths and change them from song to song. how can i control the whole thing? (sorry, about such a trivial question, but ive never done sth like that before)
thanks christopher
Posted by: Bob

Re: how to performe live? - 11/18/04 08:47 PM

The answer is Midi. If your keyboard has midi jacks, you can control rack syths from that. Many more powerful synths have programable presets that you can toggle though with a console switch or a foot switch. (as long as the singer doesn't change the song list on you). Take a trip to Guitar Center, or Sam Ash, and spend an afternoon in the keyboard dept and learn how it's done and what you need to do it.

Back when I was in bands, midi wasn't available and I had a Piano, String machine, Organ, and two analog synths placed around me in a "u" shape. Fiddling with Moog control knobs during and after songs made life interesting. Those were the days.
Posted by: Lightnin

Re: how to performe live? - 11/18/04 09:02 PM

Christopher, two good forums which are full of people using synths on stage are:

Keyboard Music Player

and

Harmony Central