Better Sounds Via Computer

Posted by: TromboneAl

Better Sounds Via Computer - 08/25/04 07:16 AM

I've got my Yamaha clavinova CLP560 connected to a PC with a soundblaster card. I'd like to get a reasonable Hammond B3 sound, but when I have the computer create the sound, all I get is a wimpy computer-generated voice.

Would a better sound card give a better result?
Posted by: SteveY

Re: Better Sounds Via Computer - 08/25/04 07:31 AM

Get the B4 plug-in from Native Instruments. It's pretty amazing!!!

Or if you want something in a hardware format, you might try the Roland VK8M. It's a table-top MIDI module with drawbars.

I have both. I use the Roland live, and the B4 for recording (if a real Hammond is not available of course).

Both the Roland and the Native Instruments organs use acoustic modeling technology.
Posted by: ryan

Re: Better Sounds Via Computer - 08/25/04 08:26 AM

B4 is awesome. I was using a Nord Electro 2 for studio and live work, but I am going to be transitioning to NI's B4 (with fader pack) and Elektrik Piano. I actually preferred the Electro to anything else I'd played (and I have played them all), but I have to admit that software is getting more stable and the sound quality is starting to catch up with hardware.

I am also replacing my Nord Lead 3 with NI's Pro53 and FM7 (which are both amazing!) and their Absynth (which is a different type of beast). I also may be getting Korg's Legacy Collection for more flavors.

Ryan
Posted by: TromboneAl

Re: Better Sounds Via Computer - 08/26/04 12:45 PM

The B4 plugin looks good, but I'd like something more general, for producing other sounds as well (and cheaper).