Piano World Home Page
Posted By: poppet Is Yamaha's Arius YDP-140 any good? - 08/03/08 04:02 PM
I'm considering buying an Arius YDP-140 and wondered what they are like? After getting to Grade 7 in my teens I am returning to the piano 20 years on, and want something without too many extras buttons, but enough so my children can have some fun on it as well as my having lessons.
Would it be better to go for an Aruis or a second-hand Clavinova? I don't want to spend much more than £550.
Posted By: Copilot Re: Is Yamaha's Arius YDP-140 any good? - 08/03/08 07:35 PM
Poppet use the SEARCH funtion to receive lots of info about the YDP-140 and 160.

The specs HERE .

As an accoustic pianoplayer you will be disappointed with the GHS (Graded Hammer Standard) keyboard action which is to light compared to a real accoustic.

Therefore the YDP-160 is much better in action (GH(E) Graded Hammer Effect) and amplifier but more expensive.
It's not available yet in the UK according to the UK Yamaha Website but already announced HERE .

If you are on a budget: one branch: CASIO
You will find tons of info in this forum about CASIO.

About a used YAMAHA "cabinet style" CLAVINOVA: take at least a CLP-240 for several reasons you'll discover with the 'search' function.

wink
Posted By: crusadar Re: Is Yamaha's Arius YDP-140 any good? - 08/04/08 12:52 PM
You really need to visit the stores and play the Pianos for yourself but in the £550 price range you may be limited to the Arius 140, one of the CASIO range or the KORG SP-250 . Some stores may still have the Roland HP-101e piano in stock and will haggle, recently there have been several HP-101e's going on eBay UK, two never had a bid on them when the auction finished, you could pick up a good used Roland HP-101e for £400.
Posted By: poppet Re: Is Yamaha's Arius YDP-140 any good? - 08/04/08 08:25 PM
Thanks for your advice. I'm going to go along to a shop and have a play. Have a nagging feeling I should spend a bit more and avoid disappointment... I'm intrigued by the Classenti, which might be a good alternative to the Yamaha 160 - and a bit cheaper.
Posted By: Copilot Re: Is Yamaha's Arius YDP-140 any good? - 08/05/08 12:55 AM
Poppet, read THIS about CLASSENTI and make sure you compare it to CASIO's in touch and sound. (Found with the SEARCH functuon of this site)

wink
Posted By: crusadar Re: Is Yamaha's Arius YDP-140 any good? - 08/05/08 05:44 AM
If you are going to spend more take a look at the ROLAND RP-101 .
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums