Advise on buying portable keyboard for a kid

Posted by: Moira

Advise on buying portable keyboard for a kid - 06/16/01 07:49 AM

Hi -

I'm a non-musical mom researching midrange priced ($200-$500) electronic keyboards/portable pianos for my preteen. He loves the piano (we have a "real" one) and after four years of successful lessons appears to be sticking with it. Considering Roland EM25, Yamaha PSR-GX76 and extremely confused. Any suggestions for something suitable for a talented kid?
Posted by: Diarmuid

Re: Advise on buying portable keyboard for a kid - 06/16/01 02:27 PM

......definately make sure he sticks with the real piano too, but I'd plump for the Yamaha.
Posted by: Tom Fort

Re: Advise on buying portable keyboard for a kid - 01/11/17 08:05 PM

At $500, the Casio PX-160 would be my first choice. After that, you'd look at the Roland FP-30 and the Kawai ES-110 closer to $700.
Posted by: MacMacMac

Re: Advise on buying portable keyboard for a kid - 01/11/17 08:09 PM

You've just responded to a post made 16 years ago. smile
Posted by: Kawai James

Re: Advise on buying portable keyboard for a kid - 01/11/17 09:12 PM

Originally Posted By MacMacMac
You've just responded to a post made 16 years ago. smile

You can't fault the quality of his advice though. wink
Posted by: Tom Fort

Re: Advise on buying portable keyboard for a kid - 01/11/17 09:21 PM

I was browsing the forum on a phone while waiting to pick up one of my daughters and apparently brushed the direction arrow next to the "Posted" column, reversing the threads to be shown in reverse chronological order. I didn't notice as the pinned threads were still at the top...

It is mildly amusing to browse through the threads from 2001and 2002 (long before I found the forum) and see many topics similar to current ones.

While you're here, James, any comment on the new ES-110? I was hoping it might have upgraded the sounds a bit, and was wondering how the action might be different.
Posted by: Kawai James

Re: Advise on buying portable keyboard for a kid - 01/11/17 09:44 PM

Originally Posted By Tom Fort
While you're here, James, any comment on the new ES-110? I was hoping it might have upgraded the sounds a bit, and was wondering how the action might be different.

May I please ask you to raise this query over in the ES110 thread, which I intend to respond to shortly.

Kind regards,
James
x
Posted by: Tim P

Re: Advise on buying portable keyboard for a kid - 01/12/17 03:27 AM

I wonder how the kid is doing, and if he visits this forum. He's about 28 now.
Posted by: Dave Horne

Re: Advise on buying portable keyboard for a kid - 01/12/17 07:06 AM

How does a 16 year old thread resurface?
Posted by: Jasper E.

Re: Advise on buying portable keyboard for a kid - 01/12/17 07:12 AM

and what about a 6-year-old daughter? smile
Posted by: fofig

Re: Advise on buying portable keyboard for a kid - 01/12/17 08:55 AM

My 5.5 year old girl is ok with my PX-150 CASIO. We might pass to an acoustic at some stage. Go for weighted action...