Yamaha p85, YDP-S30, or casio Ap200

Posted by: redmen1220

Yamaha p85, YDP-S30, or casio Ap200 - 11/09/08 10:24 PM

Hello, im mike
Im 14 and I have always wanted to play piano. I am interested in playing it mostly for fun, but also for learning. I have played flute for 6 years and I think that it would benefit me to learn piano. I want a digital no more than $800 and (from online research) have found a few that I really want to try out. I will only use this piano at home so I want it to resemble a normal piano (in my mom's fancy living room :p ).

Yamaha p85 - The cheapest of the three and it appears to be "tried and true"

Yamaha YDP-S30 - I have heard good things about this as well. I'm disappointed with the stand, though

casio Ap200 - Best look of the three, but have not seen any reviews or reccomendations.

I want a piano that sounds like a grand. Different sounds are ok but I don't really care for them. In this price range (500-800), what digital pianos should I look at.

Thanks \:\)
Posted by: signa

Re: Yamaha p85, YDP-S30, or casio Ap200 - 11/09/08 11:37 PM

P85 and YDP-S30 share some common features, including GHS action. but the half-pedal function on YDP-S30 is not continuous one but only 3-step. maybe it's not that important for you now since you are just a beginner and won't use any pedal any time soon. so, between the 2, i would choose P85.

don't know anything about Casio AP200, but someone might comment on it soon.

Re: Yamaha p85, YDP-S30, or casio Ap200 - 11/10/08 08:36 AM

Hmm, thats weird that the p85 is cheaper but still has better features. Does anyone know anything about the Casio Ap200? Its not GHS, its scaled. It looks good, but does anyone have any experience with the sound or feel?
Posted by: Always Wanted to Play Piano

Re: Yamaha p85, YDP-S30, or casio Ap200 - 11/10/08 11:25 AM

I've had my Ap-200 up and running for a couple weeks now. Initial thoughts:

Pros - Solid feel. Three metal pedals, and from my uninformed experience, seems to support half-pedaling. Feel is superior, to my touch, to the GHS (although I preferred the sound on the Yamaha's).

Cons - Wimpy sound, FWIW. As mom3gram pointed out, you have to have good eyes to see what settings you're configuring.

I'm very happy with mine so far. We opted for a sturdier stand because we've got some young piano players, and felt like we needed something to withstand the abuse it will suffer over the years.
Posted by: Vincent L.

Re: Yamaha p85, YDP-S30, or casio Ap200 - 11/10/08 03:52 PM

Another option is the Casio PX-720 that comes with everything for $650+tax from Costco. That is if you still can find one - they are all gone from the Costco near where I leave.

Re: Yamaha p85, YDP-S30, or casio Ap200 - 11/10/08 06:34 PM

Sadly there is no Costco nearby in south Illinois. Does anyone else know of any (favorably cabinet) DPs up to $800?