computer + what? for writing music

Posted by: iris

computer + what? for writing music - 03/02/03 01:31 PM

Please can you help? I direct a choir which means a lot of work writing arrangements, sight-reading examples, etc......
I use PErsonal COmposer for writing and printing out the music I use but would really like to get an instrument I can link up with my computer easily to input the music and to help with the arrangements. Price IS a factor and the sound/touch as a performing piano is not so important.
I am totally confused by the amazing number of different appliances there are.
All advice or information on where to find a simple and clear explanation of the differences would be welcome, too
Thankyou
Iris
Posted by: SteveY

Re: computer + what? for writing music - 03/02/03 08:14 PM

Hello Iris.
If you really don't care about the sound or feel of the keyboard, then just about any MIDI keyboard will do. Getting the notes into your computer is not something that a $5000 keyboard will do better than a $1000 keyboard. You might want to look at the used market as there are some decent sounding keyboards available for significant discounts. They're not state-of-the-art, but it doesn't sound like you're asking for that.
Posted by: iris

Re: computer + what? for writing music - 03/07/03 11:00 AM

Thank you for your reply and advice, Steve..........I see you have a Steinway. Green with envy!
I shall look at the 2nd hand but there is not a huge market here in SW France.
Iris