Roland XP-30 question

Posted by: Thresh Star

Roland XP-30 question - 11/16/08 05:12 PM

I recently purchased a Roland XP-30 keyboard. However, I noticed an ongoing annoyance - whenever I hit a note on a stereo sound, it NEVER plays in the center. It might play more in the right channel, then hitting the same note again will send it to the left channel, then kind of in the center, etc. every single time I press the note. Same thing happens for chords as well.

My question is, does anyone have this keyboard who knows how to get a synth sound to stay panned in the center and not switch between left and right channels randomly? The Piano sounds stay stationary WITHOUT random panning, it just seems to happen with any synth pads.

Any ideas?

I checked the manual and it wasn't really clear as to how to edit the sounds in this manner.
Posted by: MonksDream

Re: Roland XP-30 question - 11/25/08 10:00 PM

What you are referring to is called "auto-panning". It's usually done by by setting a "modulator", like the modulation lever or an LFO, to "modulate" a synth parameter, in this case the L/R pan. I'm guessing that the modulator in your case is the velocity of the note, i.e how hard you hit it. Try hitting the note softly then forcefully and see if the pan position changes. If it does then look in the edit page for that synth sound, or "patch" as it's called, for "Velocity -> Pan", or some such. I don't have access to an XP-30 but knowing what's happening will make it easier to turn off.

Good luck!