Roland FP-8 repair

Posted by: HardAl8

Roland FP-8 repair - 02/04/02 09:09 PM

I just picked up a Roland FP-8 keybaord, but it has a couple of stuck keys. Where can I get manuals to repair it myself? How do I get parts for such an old machine? Roland's website doesn't list it.
Posted by: G Husky

Re: Roland FP-8 repair - 03/27/14 04:58 PM

I also have a FP 8.Have you found anybody with parts,or diagrams for it.I would like to get a repair manual for it.If I can't find one,I will have to sell it.Please share any info you may have about it...Thanks..Gene H
Posted by: GLR

Re: Roland FP-8 repair - 03/27/14 05:10 PM

Hey Gene. Welcome to PW. That question was posted 12 years ago. You'll likely not get an answer from him/her. Hopefully someone here can help you though.
Posted by: lolatu

Re: Roland FP-8 repair - 03/27/14 08:12 PM

I can't help with specifics of the FP-8, but there are probably some screws along the back and on the bottom (along the sides of the bottom, not the ones holding the keyboard assembly down) which will allow you to open the case and have a look. This post might be useful.

It would be nice if digital piano manufacturers made their products more repair-friendly. While they're designed to not need servicing, parts obviously do wear out and fail after a few years.

They should make

- repair instructions widely available
- the pianos themselves easy to disassemble without tens of screws and a minefield of fragile connectors
- the parts accessible and easy to replace (desoldering and soldering in microswitches is risky and not easy)
- parts available with cheap delivery via an eBay or Amazon distributor (I ordered some switches costing pennies from Roland and the handling was 4.79 - they're probably not overcharging, but just don't have the economies of scale or efficiency that other distributors can achieve)
Posted by: krzyzowski

Re: Roland FP-8 repair - 03/28/14 11:14 AM

I own 2 FP-8's. They are very well built and have one of the best actions ever. However the weighted key levers eventually crack off from plastic age. They are available individually or as a set from Roland Parts: $300 for the set.
I use the boards for gigs, so if you pound on them, they break. In the short term I have used the low hammers as replacements. AFAIK, the hammers cannot be repaired. Other then that, the electronics are bulletproof except for dirty contacts and some leaky caps.
I have heard Roland has helped some on broken actions, but haven't tried. Log into Roland Parts Tech Support and email them with any questions. Full Compass also sells the hammers: $8. The sharps are different from the white keys; however the rest are the same.