Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Ashley Tibbs Clavinova CLP 150 piano sounds - 09/09/03 06:37 PM
I recently bought a new CLP 150 and am very pleased with it.
I'm curious about the sources for the piano sounds. From what I understand, the Grand 1 is a Yamaha Concert grand. Are the other piano voices in Grand 1 (Rock, Mellow, Honky-tonk) different pianos? Also, what kind, or rather size, piano was sampled for Grand 2 and its voices?

Appreciate any resonses.
Posted By: Bill S. Re: Clavinova CLP 150 piano sounds - 09/11/03 11:33 PM
Not sure about the other piano samples, but the Grand Piano 2 was from the same sample of the Grand Piano 1, but was filtered to better cut through a choir.
Posted By: Luke's Dad Re: Clavinova CLP 150 piano sounds - 09/13/03 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Bill S.:
Not sure about the other piano samples, but the Grand Piano 2 was from the same sample of the Grand Piano 1, but was filtered to better cut through a choir.
I don't know for sure about the current model, but in the past, Yamaha's Grand Piano 2 was a mono-sampled instead of stereo sampled. This allows for a player to reach the full polyphony level, instead of having it cut in half by the stereo sample.
Posted By: Ashley Tibbs Re: Clavinova CLP 150 piano sounds - 09/15/03 05:46 PM
Thanks for the information.

I suspected that the Grand 2 voice is a filtered version of the Grand 1 and not another piano. A friend of mine thought that the Grand 2 voice was sampled from a smaller grand, but I guess sampling one concert grand and running it through vaious filters for the other piano voices makes more sense, at least from Yamaha's perspective.

Thanks again,

Ashley
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums