? Regarding Yamaha Clavinova CLP-500

Posted by: Key Notes

? Regarding Yamaha Clavinova CLP-500 - 02/29/08 12:44 PM

Last night I found a Yamaha Clavinova CLP-500 listed for sale on craigslist.com. The owner purchased it in 1992 in perfect condition and claimed that it still is. They are asking for $750.

I have a coule of questions and needed all of your experts' advice on whether this is a good price and more importantly is there any big major differences in terms of quality, features, etc. between the ones made in 1992 versus the newer ones today.

Thanks in advance for any informations you can provide.

Key Notes \:\)

Re: ? Regarding Yamaha Clavinova CLP-500 - 02/29/08 03:31 PM

Guest1013,

Thank you very much for your wonderful advice. I also did had doubt about the age of the piano and would've also only offered $300. You definitely made some great points which I also agree, especially regarding all of the newer features and capabilities of the newer models. I've been looking into them also and will continued to do so.

Thank you once again and have a suuper great day!
\:\)
Posted by: polostrings

Re: ? Regarding Yamaha Clavinova CLP-500 - 02/29/08 06:42 PM

We had a 1997 CLP-555. Loved it till it broke down last December. It needed a new mother board, which Yamaha stopped making. So we were unable to have in repaired for a while, the repair man was trying to get the parts elsewhere. In the process , ended up with an acoustic, so it won't happen to us again. I would probably avoid the old digitals. But it is a good place to start:-)
Posted by: BB Player

Re: ? Regarding Yamaha Clavinova CLP-500 - 02/29/08 06:57 PM

Key Notes,

polostrings makes an excellent point with respect to older digitals: that of parts availability. Most repair facilities and/or repairmen are at best able to replace at the board level and these are frequently not available in older pianos. Also, $300-$400 more puts you in range of a new digital with weighted keys (Roland FP4, Kawai MP3, others) that will surely have more features, better sound and a warranty.

Re: ? Regarding Yamaha Clavinova CLP-500 - 02/29/08 10:57 PM

Thanks polostrings and Greg! Definitely great points regarding age and repairs of older dps.

I did have doubt when I learned of its age and was just going to offer $300 to see what they'll say, but thought that I should get advice from the experts first.

Since I'm a complete beginner, I know that I have a lot to learn yet so Yeaah for this fantastic forum! Still in the process of reading and researching and feeling very exited and inspired by all of these wonderfully positive posts and informations.

Thanks again.

Key Notes \:\)