yamaha p-155 or p-140?

Posted by: librrra

yamaha p-155 or p-140? - 04/13/09 11:31 PM

Hello everybody!

I've spent some time on the forum as a lurker looking up the threads and hopefully buying a DP next week. After reading numerous posts I found my ideal model - Yamaha p-155. As I understand the touch is similar to the p-140 which I tried at the store. So here I am, seeking an advice.
Do you think I should order the p-155 right away or wait till they have it in the store to try it out?

I used to play for 7 years but it's been 8 years since then so I'd rather not rank myself.

I've also read about the GHS/GHE keyboard and I'm ashamed to say that I liked the feel of YDP-140 the best (which features the entry-level GHS keyboard). But 1) I want to get the separate stand; 2) optimistically I'll improve my technique in a while.

Thank you for your attention!
Posted by: Gerry Armstrong

Re: yamaha p-155 or p-140? - 04/14/09 03:22 AM

Don't buy anything till you've had a chance to play it first. You wouldn't buy a shirt without trying it on first, and a brand new P155 is a tad more expensive than a new shirt!! laugh

I know how tough it is to wait as I'm (not so!!) patiently waiting for the P155 to become available for me to test so I can buy one too. Trust me, you need to wait and play it to be sure. Take it from an impatient buyer who has twice dropped a load of money by buying something I hadn't played. Impatience can be very expensive.
Posted by: kennychaffin

Re: yamaha p-155 or p-140? - 04/14/09 07:52 AM

Well, you can always return it, right? grin

I agree with Gerry it's gotta be best to try it out first.

I've learned the same lesson a few times.

Re: yamaha p-155 or p-140? - 04/14/09 08:41 AM

It's a bit different here in the UK as far as Returns are concerned. Once you've bought it it's yours. If you don't like it tough.

You can't just return stuff because you don't like it.
Posted by: signa

Re: yamaha p-155 or p-140? - 04/14/09 12:41 PM

the touch or action on either P140 or P155 should be the same, but the difference is the sound mainly. so, i don't see danger of pre-ordering it, as long as you want to.
Posted by: sparx

Re: yamaha p-155 or p-140? - 04/14/09 04:17 PM

The P-155 has 128 note polyphony but perhaps more importantly, it has 4-level AWM Dynamic Stereo Sampling as opposed to 3-level on the P-140 which will make a considerable difference to the expressiveness of the instrument, particularly with reference to the piano sample(s).

Re: yamaha p-155 or p-140? - 04/15/09 05:45 AM

The specs on the sheet are there for everyone to see in black and white.

How it "feels" and "sounds" to me is something I cannot determine until I get a chance to play one so until then I'll reserve judgement, and certainly won't be pre-ordering one.

But I'm very excited about it as it has the same Piano sample as the CLP340. I know it's missing some of the CLP340's features, the key one being the GH3 action with Synthetic Ivory tops but I personally haven't found a huge difference in the feel between the GH and GH3 actions, having played lots of 2xx and 3xx CLP's, 4xx CVP's as well as several go's on P140's.

I wish the 3rd week in May would hurry up and get here so I can get my paws on one!! cry
Posted by: Horwinkle

Re: yamaha p-155 or p-140? - 04/15/09 12:02 PM

That's odd. I find a great deal of difference between GH and GH3.

But I think you still do well with the GH. It's far better than the GHS.

I take it that the new P155 has the GH keyboard?

Re: yamaha p-155 or p-140? - 04/15/09 02:23 PM

Yes the P155 has the GH keyboard. I've only tried a GHS keyboard once (a P85) and it didn't take long to move on. Definitely not for me.

I actually prefer the GH keyboard on the P140 as there is a small but still noticeable bottoming on the CLP3xx series. I checked out a 330, 340 and 380 today and they all had a slight but noticeable thump when playing. I don't remember that from when I last played some CLP 2xx's but that was quite a while ago now. It's nothing like as bad as my FP7 was but it was still there. The GH action on the P140 felt pretty much the same as the GH3 but no thump.

I'll just have to wait and see what a P155 feels like. Hopefully it's like the P140 then I'll have a DP again as I'm missing my silent practice time.