Yamaha YDP-140 or YDP S31?

Posted by: Terri Moore

Yamaha YDP-140 or YDP S31? - 08/20/09 10:36 AM

Hi there,
I will only buy one of the two: Arius YDP 140, or Arius YDP S31.
Which one shall i go for? They both use GHS, but apparently the S31 feels like a keyboard. Also, does the S31 have the 3 level AWM? I don't think it does... which one sounds better of these two?
Please do not suggest me to other models, I am only limited to these two,
All help appreciated,

Fellow Piano Enthusiast,
Terri
Posted by: _just.jose

Re: Yamaha YDP-140 or YDP S31? - 08/20/09 11:48 AM

Hmm ...
I say you go to the store, yourself- and check it out.
Try some (=
I've tried the YDP-140, but it was quite a while back...
I'm going to try it again, to see if it feels the same- but you should try both of them out.
As far as I can say, they both feel similar- due to the fact that they are both in the Arius series.

As for me, I would choose the YDP-140 because I like the sense of stability in a digital piano, so that's why I prefer cabinets- grands simply won't fit in the house ._.", but I would also choose it because I like the 3-pedal system better. To me, the YDP-140 feels a lot better with the GH as comparison to the S-31, but you should check that out for yourself and decide !
Posted by: Glen R.

Re: Yamaha YDP-140 or YDP S31? - 08/20/09 07:14 PM

Originally Posted By: _just.jose
<snip>
To me, the YDP-140 feels a lot better with the GH as comparison to the S-31, but you should check that out for yourself and decide !

Not sure if it's just a typo above, but according to the specs ( here ), The YDP-140 and YDP-S31 both have Graded Hammer Standard. You need to step up to the YDP-160 to get Graded Hammer.

As for choosing between the 140 and S31, they are identical except for the 140 having 3-level sampling vs. the S31's 1-level.

For what it's worth, I have the 140 and love it. I have never tried the S31.
Posted by: Geoffk

Re: Yamaha YDP-140 or YDP S31? - 08/20/09 10:13 PM

If the S-31 has a 1-level sample and GHS action (like the P-85), than it's going to be barely acceptable. Casios and most serious DPs have multi-level dynamic samples and better actions than GHS.

I'd avoid both of these and try to get a DP with GH/GHE or equivalent action and a multi-level sample. For example a P-140, P-155 or a Casio, Kawai or Roland.
Posted by: The_Linux_Crew

Re: Yamaha YDP-140 or YDP S31? - 08/22/09 10:15 PM

Glen and Geoff are both right. For many people the 140 is perfectly fine. The problem is that some people who should be using a GHE action, namely parents who want to have a practice piano for their children are choosing the entry level 140 when a student should really be practicing with a DP that most closely simulates an acoustic piano. For someone who already knows how to play and wants a cheap DP, the 140 is fine.