Digital Piano Went Out Of Tune???

Posted by: zky

Digital Piano Went Out Of Tune??? - 01/03/10 01:16 PM

Hi, I'm new to this forum.

My one month old Yamaha Clavinova started to sound funny overnight, like it suddenly went grossly out of tune. confused frown

I'm going to call the service centre but meanwhile, has any digital piano owners ever encountered this problem too? Any idea what could be the problem or the cause?

Thanks for sharing.
Posted by: Vid_w

Re: Digital Piano Went Out Of Tune??? - 01/03/10 01:24 PM

Maybe you accidentally selected a different temperament?
Posted by: Salvador

Re: Digital Piano Went Out Of Tune??? - 01/03/10 01:28 PM

Did you check if the sound settings changed? Maybe its default settings have been changed... For example, the Roland V-Piano has an option to make it sound out of tune on purpose (to mimic the style of bands like The Fray, etc.)
Posted by: ChrisA

Re: Digital Piano Went Out Of Tune??? - 01/03/10 01:33 PM

The first thing to check is that you have not accidentally pushed the "transpose" button and simply shifted the entire keyboard over a few semi-tones.

There is also a "tunning" setting that adjusts the tune to A=440 or whatever standard you want. You may have messed with that too.

Also the DP can be set to other not-equal, historic temperaments that would sound out of tune to anyone born in the 20th century.

Odd voltage spikes or other glitches (or the cat walking on the controls) could have altered these settings even if you did not.

But Is it just a change in timbre with maybe some large harmonic overtones added or has the pitch shifted? In other words does it still sound like a clear piano tone or is there some "fuzz"

If it is fuzz and but not pitch shift then you've got audio section problems
Posted by: Melodialworks Music

Re: Digital Piano Went Out Of Tune??? - 01/03/10 01:47 PM

You could also try a factory reset. Check the manual for how to do this.
Posted by: Glenn NK

Re: Digital Piano Went Out Of Tune??? - 01/03/10 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Melodialworks Music
You could also try a factory reset. Check the manual for how to do this.

Factory Reset - first and most important step.

I've never heard of a DP going out of tune (one of the reasons we buy them is because they don't). Even a change in temperament shouldn't sound out of tune.

Does the Clavinova have a stretch adjustment that has been pushed too far?

Glenn
Posted by: Kawai James

Re: Digital Piano Went Out Of Tune??? - 01/03/10 11:00 PM

zky, as others have suggested, try performing a factory reset by holding down the top-most key while turning the power off and on.

Kind regards,
James
x
Posted by: zky

Re: Digital Piano Went Out Of Tune??? - 01/06/10 12:47 AM

Thanks all for sharing! I tried the factory reset and it worked! My clavinova sounded awful then, now it is back to normal after the reset.

Suspected that my boy caused it, cos I saw him messing with the buttons earlier that day. smile

Cheers,
zky