Yamaha DGX 500

Posted by: Seven

Yamaha DGX 500 - 01/20/10 02:14 PM

So I've been offered the Yamaha DGX 500 relatively cheap and I wondered if it's any good. I am looking for a practice DP and was looking at the Yamaha p85 and the Casio px-130. How does the DGX 500 compare to these? Is it worth looking into?

All replies are very appreciated.
Posted by: ChrisA

Re: Yamaha DGX 500 - 01/20/10 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Seven
How does the DGX 500 compare to these? Is it worth looking into?

The "500" lacks weighted keys. The PX130 and P85 both have hammer action weighted keys.
Posted by: snazzyplayer

Re: Yamaha DGX 500 - 01/20/10 02:33 PM

Howdy Seven,

You can check out user reviews of the DGX-500 on Harmony Central.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Keyboard+And+MIDI/product/Yamaha/DGX-500/10/1

If you like having lots of extra sounds, along with a decent lightly weighted action keyboard, and a pretty good piano sound, the DGX is a good buy...just make sure of it's condition (all keys work, buttons are in good shape). try to find out it's history...were there little kids banging on it, was it in a smoking environment.

I'd go with the P-85 as opposed to the Casio PX-130...I have two P-85's and they are fine reliable instruments, with a nice weighted GHS graded hammer action, very good piano sounds, layering ability (piano and strings for example), and effects (reverb)...make sure you get the optional stand.

Snazzy
Posted by: Seven

Re: Yamaha DGX 500 - 01/20/10 02:37 PM

Oh it doesn't have weighted keys? I must've confused it with another Yamaha line then.

The annoying thing about buying instruments in Europe is that they're so expensive over here. In the states you can get a piano for almost half the price that we have to pay. ;/
Posted by: galaxy4t

Re: Yamaha DGX 500 - 01/20/10 04:17 PM

Steven,
DGX 500 has unweighted synth keys. Has good sounds, however if you want more than just the standard voices most DP's come with, look into the YPG 635/DGX630 to pick up weighted keys, but it is Yamaha's cheapest action (GHS). Some on this forum like the Yahama P-85, but I think the piano sample is limited as it is just a single layer. It sounds OK but there are better alternatives. It depends on your budget however and what you are looking for. Contrary to other opinions, I don't think the Casio PX130 is that bad. You just have to realize it is built to a price and has some flaws that might annoy you if you are expecting extremely high quality. It's good enough for a first piano.