i wish this forum would become more active

Posted by: apple*

i wish this forum would become more active - 01/30/12 06:42 AM

I have been playing on many organs recently.. mostly for the budget minded churches... old smaller pipe organs, Allens and Rodgers..

now i am researching high end digital organs just out of curiosity.

wow.. a lot of bang for the buck.

getting ready to take real organ lessons with a real master. I quit my long term piano oriented Sunday church job to find a more organ oriented one. Someone has to keep the tradition alive in the Catholic church.. enough of the sugary 80's music already.

Just rambling and what have you been doing lately?
Posted by: mrenaud

Re: i wish this forum would become more active - 01/30/12 01:22 PM

My most recent action has been to quit all my organ jobs... While I do love playing the organ, having a full-time job during the week *and* work on weekends as well (yes, playing the organ in church is work) didn't work out and I was on the verge of not enjoying it anymore, so I knew it was time to quit. However, I plan on buying an electronic organ to play at home whenever I want, at my leasure, without obligations. I've been looking at the Viscount Unico 400 which looks very intriguing.

Been practicing a bit of Bach lately, the Trio Sonata in C major, BWV 529. Not easy but totally worth it.
Posted by: Sam S

Re: i wish this forum would become more active - 02/09/12 08:50 AM

Yes, this forum is very quiet. I've always wanted to take organ lessons and get some sort of instrument to play at home but never really had the time to devote to it.

My piano teacher is an organist so I could shift from piano to organ without changing teachers!

But when, that's the question. I am about a year and a half away from retirement, so I would have more time (I hope) after I retire. I am still progressing on the piano though, and I don't think I have reached a ceiling in my technique.

How good a pianist do I need to be to start organ lessons?

How much of the technique will transfer?

Will my piano playing suffer if I take up the organ too?

Just some questions I have pondered from time to time...

Sam