Baldwin Organs

Posted by: nwpiano

Baldwin Organs - 02/14/12 05:58 PM

I am primarily a pianist, but my restored 1929 Clough and Warren 21 stop action reed organ has spured interest in learning how to play a two manual pedal board instrument. As a beginner I cannot justify purchasing a new Rodgers, and the used Rodgers in my area are few and far between. However, I have located several Baldwins, one a 48C, and another a C-720T. I know nothing about Baldwin organs and whether or not either of these would be good candidates for a learner. And, if so what I should have looked at by a tech.

Thanks for your help, and suggestions,
Craig
Posted by: Ken Knapp

Re: Baldwin Organs - 02/14/12 09:47 PM

Give a look at craigslist.org and you may very well find some real bargains on organs - all the way to free. You should be able to get a Baldwin VERY reasonable since they are out of business. Of course that can make repair parts tough.

Having an organ checked by a tech prior to purchasing is a bit different than a piano. If everything works now, it may well be ok for a long time. If things do not work, plan on spending hundreds of dollars to repair. So the lesson probably is to get an organ that needs nothing repaired.