I want to buy an organ for my home

Posted by: stringzoffury

I want to buy an organ for my home - 04/28/13 01:15 AM

I plan on playing mostly Bach so I would like something that has a sound imitative of a pipe organ and has a full pedal board. A headphone jack would be nice too. Would it be possible to find something that meets this criteria for under $2000 used?
Posted by: Ken Knapp

Re: I want to buy an organ for my home - 04/30/13 04:34 PM

I am not sure what is out there, but I think it is possible. MY first preference is a vintage Hammond Console (A, B, C, RT). If you need AGO pedals then the RT series or the D series would be suitable in the Hammonds.

Now, as far as other brands, the companies I would recommend are Allen and Rodgers. Both have pretty good reputations and seem to provide good support for their older organs. Look on craigslist and eBay. Often used models can be had cheap.
Posted by: Ken Knapp

Re: I want to buy an organ for my home - 04/30/13 07:19 PM

Here you go...

http://allentown.craigslist.org/msg/3750261355.html
Posted by: red-rose

Re: I want to buy an organ for my home - 06/07/13 01:33 PM

yes, I'll second the Craigslist suggestion. Often organs like that are so large and no one knows what they are worth, so people just want you to come and get them for free if you will take it off their hands! I don't know about the headphone jack. (I've never looked.)
Posted by: red-rose

Re: I want to buy an organ for my home - 06/07/13 01:34 PM

oh, and if you are a member of a church, that is a place to start. A friend of mine who is the music director for a Catholic archdiocese says that a surprisingly large part of his job is dealing with people who are trying to get rid of old electric organs! laugh