Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#272534 - 01/12/02 06:46 PM Nordiska piano
George Offline

Hello. I am in need of some advice from fellow musicians regarding the purchase of a new piano. Our Kimball Baby Grand has passed on after long service. I have sampled many units (Samick, Yamaha, etc...). Of them all, I was most impressed with the sound of a (dare I say it) Nordiska. Ahh. When compared to many other entry levels, I found this unit pleasing to the ear and at a good price. My concern is, will this last. Careful inspection of the unit found solid construction but I read a rather nasty thread about Nordiska at this web site regarding construction. Has anyone had the opportunity to review them? I did look at the "PIANO BOOK" and Mr. Fine said that it was "playable" and this would coincide with my experience. What is known about Geneva International (the importer)? How reliable are they to keep their 10-year warranty? What/where do they put foam in the piano? I can't believe that to be common practice. Please help.

[ January 12, 2002: Message edited by: George ]

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#272535 - 01/12/02 07:53 PM Re: Nordiska piano
Hank Drake Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Preemptive disclaimer: I am a Nordiska dealer.

We have been very pleased with the Nordiska pianos we have carried (we have only carried the grands). They have arrived at our dealership reasonably well prepped--far better than two other Chinese brands we have carried. They typically need tuning, a moderate amount of voicing, and a bit of regulation--standard dealer stuff. I feel they offer an excellent value in an entry level piano. Geneva International, Nordiska's American Importer, also carries Petrof and Pleyel pianos. They are very pleasant and reliable to deal with.

We have installed various player systems on a number of units, and have never found evidence of foamcore used in the keybed or in other parts of the piano. In fact, when the thread you mentioned came to my attention, I asked our player system installer to hang onto the segment of the keybed which was removed--it was multiply hardwood, not foamcore.

In the end, however, the salesperson's opinion means little. It's YOUR opinion which counts, and I recommend that you let your fingers and ears be the judge.

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell

#272536 - 01/12/02 07:54 PM Re: Nordiska piano
Rich Galassini Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
I have not had a good experience with Nordiska. Speaking as a dealer, I ordered several - based on examination and recommendation from the rep. - but they have been service problems in the field.

My fault, I guess. I sold them to people that actually play.
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
www.cunninghampiano.com

#272537 - 01/12/02 07:55 PM Re: Nordiska piano
Rich Galassini Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Full Disclosure:

I have not ordered a Nordiska in 2001 or 2002.
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
www.cunninghampiano.com

#272538 - 01/12/02 08:10 PM Re: Nordiska piano
George Offline

Thank you Hank and Rich. I must say that I was pleased with the sound and action. I have been looking for a replacement for our Kimball for almost one year now. I think with the Nordiska I may have found a replacement that even my wife is willing to play.
Rich: Can you please tell me what type of field problems there were? I do play quit a bit (enough to use up a Kimball at least) and I wonder if I will have problems down the line. TIA

[ January 12, 2002: Message edited by: George ]

#272539 - 01/14/02 05:52 PM Re: Nordiska piano
Jolly Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana
I had a chance to play 4 Nordiska pianos yesterday. They have a sound unlike any other Asian piano that I have heard. Build quality was excellent for a Chinese piano, action was good in its' price range (although the store said thorough prep was mandatory), pedals were good. Got a chance to play a 5', 5'5" and two 6'1".

Believe it or not, I'm seriously considering this piano. I've been offered a killer deal on a 5'5". I'm looking at it as an alternative to a used grand, which is almost nonexistent in my area.

Long term durability is my main concern, just as it is yours. \:\)

Oh, and another thing - I talked to my tech about the piano. He's been in the business since 1956 and worked on 'em all. His opinion on the Nordiska was the same as both Hank's and Rich's. What do I mean? He said the pianos 2-3 years ago were extremely erratic and plagued with lots of field gremlins. He said that the Nordiskas he had worked on in the last 18 months or so had taken a quantum leap up on the quality scale. Much more consistent, no disastrous problems - but the same things Hank said - mandatory, thorough dealer prep is needed to bring the piano out of its' shell.

Hope this helps.
\:\)

[ January 14, 2002: Message edited by: Jolly ]

Over 1,000,000 posts where pianists discuss everything. And nothing.

#272540 - 01/14/02 07:24 PM Re: Nordiska piano
George Offline

JollY:
Thanks for the reply. This really helps with my decision. I also called Geneva Int'l and the seemed friendly and courteous. I think they will stand by the warranty. I have called several PTG members and all said about the same. One even stated that it is likely that these will become more popular because of their sound and appeared to be relatively trouble free instruments. I'm glad I'm not the only one who found the sound better than expected. Best regards.

#272541 - 03/21/08 07:23 PM Re: Nordiska piano
Hairwide Offline

For what it's worth at this late stage I just wanted to say I own a Nordiska and it is superb. I've had a U1 in the past and I've been ensconced in a place with a Steinway for many months and although it's not quite as good as the Steinway it's certainly up there. I love my Nordiska and would recommend them to anyone. I got here through google, thought this might be useful to someone else who did also. Ciao.

#272542 - 08/20/08 05:16 PM Re: Nordiska piano
ConnieL. Offline

Thank you so much for your replies. This has been very helpful.
Best wishes

#272543 - 08/20/08 07:10 PM Re: Nordiska piano
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: torrance, CA
What???

#272544 - 08/20/08 07:57 PM Re: Nordiska piano
Starting Over Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
!!!

#272545 - 08/20/08 08:30 PM Re: Nordiska piano
Rank Piano Amateur Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm with Turandot and Starting Over. As my daughter would say, Ancient thread alert!

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
SF Symphony pianist at Steingraeber recital / reception
by master88er
6 minutes 5 seconds ago
Ferdinand "???" Piano from Vienna?
by TheloniousPunk
Today at 02:20 PM
Anything better than a Yamaha CLP-990 yet?
by pianelmo
Today at 01:40 PM
Uneven piano keys
by shah
Today at 08:57 AM
Forster vs August Forster
by eazydyonizy
Today at 03:43 AM
Who's Online
138 registered (bennevis, anotherscott, beet31425, 39 invisible), 1636 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76623 Members
42 Forums
158443 Topics
2326846 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission