Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#308009 - 04/23/03 05:40 PM Introduction
cathys Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia
Well it seems I have a lot in common with some of the newer members here and I've been lurking for about the last week or so and decided I should introduce myself so I don't feel too odd when asking questions. It's gets kind of scary in here sometimes. Anyway just started my piano search but hopefully mine will only be over the next few months and not years like Shannon.
Anyway took lessons as a kid and have the old piano from my parents a pre 1960 Baldwin Acrosonic. In the past lets just say several years I've played around on it from time to time but suddenly have rediscovered my love of it. My 8 yr old started taking lessons at the beginning of the year and suddenly I found myself back in lessons too. I really need(want) to get something nicer. Same dilemna as most, I'm looking in the $10,000 range and wondering whether to get a nice upright or try to stretch my budget to a grand. I don't think I'll be able to get a grand I'll be happy with on my budget so I'm leaning more toward an upright. Just started looking and playing and getting a feel for what I like and trying not to be in rush; although its hard with my old standby, of course waiting for the finances to be right helps with the patience. As I get farther into my search I'm sure I'll have lots of questions and I have already learned a lot just from lurking here.
By the way KB my husband & I took a trip to Finger pianos and I think it must have been your dad that showed me around to some Schimmels and a couple different Kemble pianos that I played (or mutilated) some music on. He was very nice and helpful.

Cathy

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#308010 - 04/23/03 05:57 PM Re: Introduction
Jim Volk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
Hi Cathy! Welcome to the lion's den (take sides with no one, and you may come out unscratched).

I also grew up pounding on an old faithful Acrosonic...the thing is, if only it had been a finer instrument, I think I would have started serious piano lessons much earlier. The piano has held up very well, but the tone was always overly bright and not too pleasant.

Anyway, my advice is, try find a good used grand. Here in NE Florida, your budget could find you a very nice KG-2, less than 20 years old (though I suppose average prices may be higher in your neck of the woods).

And that's assuming you buy from a piano store. There's no telling what kind of fantastic deal you may get on a fine used grand if you buy privately. The more time you take, the better your chances of finding something you'll be very satisfied with.

Good Luck!

-Jimbo

#308011 - 04/23/03 06:01 PM Re: Introduction
Lawrence Offline

Loc: Colorado Springs
Cathys, welcome aboard. I've been lurking here for everal months and have learned a lot. I also look in the rec piano newsgroup, but that has too much spam. I also live in Colorado (The Springs) and am looking for a grand. I haven't been to Finger or Joe Woods yet, just Wells and Onofrio, plus the couple of dealers here. If you don't have it yet, The Piano Book by Larry Fine is a must. I think it's a fascinating book and it's your only source of unbiased (relatively) ratings of various pianos. There are no Consumer Reports rating of pianos. If your budget is maxed out at $10,000, then you can only afford an economy grade grand piano. You're at the very low end of what you can purchase new. If you go with a vertical then you can get a high quality upright. Go shopping and play all you can. I'm in the process of narrowing down from many brands: Yamaha, Kawai, Petrof, Estonia, Schulze Pollmann, Schimmel, Pramberger, Boston, Charles Walter, Baldwin, and used Steinways and Mason & Hamlins. It's time consuming, but a lot of fun. Start by reading The Piano Book, then start asking questions.

Lawrence

#308012 - 04/23/03 06:01 PM Re: Introduction
Jolly Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana
Hi Cathy,

Most of us don't really have fangs and claws (except when necessary ;\) )

10K will buy a Korean grand of decent size, or a small Japanese.

It will also buy a very nice vertical.

Welcome to the board. \:\)

Over 1,000,000 posts where pianists discuss everything. And nothing.

#308013 - 04/23/03 06:08 PM Re: Introduction
cathys Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks for the welcome. I did buy Larry Fine's book yesterday (got tired of waiting for it to get back to the library). Very informative so far.

#308014 - 04/23/03 06:21 PM Re: Introduction
Mathilde Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois, USA
Well, FWIW, back in 1978, when my husband and I were contemplating buying a piano, it came down to "how many times are we going to have to move this thing?", since he was still in college, and all our moving was done by recruiting various "helpers" and loading stuff into the back of a pickup truck. Obviously an upright was going to be easier to bribe people with pizza and pop to move than a baby grand. \:D

Also, "will it fit in Married Student Housing?" was a big factor, too. \:D

#308015 - 04/23/03 09:41 PM Re: Introduction
Steve Miller Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Yorba Linda, CA
Hello Cathy - and welcome.

Has anyone else noticed just how many Forumites started out on Acrosonics? They must have sold a billion of 'em. They now seem to be universally disliked, but they just keep going and going....

Ask lots of questions, play lots of pianos. The whole process is a ton of fun if you allow it to be.

Good hunting!

#308016 - 04/24/03 02:08 AM Re: Introduction
Chopstix Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Welcome Cathy!

I've been a member here for several months, and have learned a great deal about pianos. There are many, many knowledgeable people here.

There are also fights that break out. Sometimes they're amusing, sometimes just annoying.

I also started out on a Baldwin Acrosonic, back in the early 1960s.

#308017 - 04/24/03 09:01 AM Re: Introduction
bcarey Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Cathys,

Just adding my welcome to the list. These folks will be a tremendous help to you during your search.

Really, no one here bites, they are just very opinionated at times, especially in the coffee room. ;\)

#308018 - 04/24/03 01:46 PM Re: Introduction
cathys Offline
500 Post Club Member

Yes I've taken a look in the coffee room and it definitely looks more wild & wooly there.
I didn't realize the Acrosonic was so common. My parents bought theirs from my dad's uncle (he bought it back in the very late 50's and all his older kids took lessons and us younger kids banged on it). When I moved out I had to leave it behind but after about 10 yrs they relented and got rid of; I mean gave it to me. Since then its made a cross country move from California to Colorado. It's physically held up but the tone is really grating and the action is so different from the gal that is giving us lessons that even when I think I have a piece down I run into problems playing it for her on her piano. Even after we have the new one I'll have to hang on to it for sentimental reasons:)

#308019 - 04/24/03 02:47 PM Re: Introduction
Dan Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hi Cathy,

Welcome to the forum. CF is a great place to shop. And a recent trip to Joe Woods I made also makes me believe Joe is another great place to shop.

You'll have to add Sunday, May 18th at 3:30 to your events calendar. That's when I'm hosting a piano party for folks in the Colorado area. My daughter is also 8 and taking piano lessons, and I'm sure she'd get along well with your kiddo.

If you think you might be able to make it, shoot me an e-mail (use the link above) and I'll put you on my list of people needing maps. KB thinks he'll come, as do Ryan, Michael V and Janine (all regular or occasional forum posters). My teacher is also planning on coming. It would be great to add another to the gathering.

Again, welcome to the madhouse!

Regards,
Dan

#308020 - 04/24/03 03:44 PM Re: Introduction
cathys Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks for the invitation Dan. The only thing I know that may be going on that weekend is my son's baseball playoffs - not sure what time; but I'll talk with my husband and shoot you an email. It would be really nice to meet some people in the area here that might be able to share there experience.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Advice? First digital piano for family--already own a GP
by SCD
10/20/14 07:58 PM
Help with my DGX-650 and Synthesia!
by Jtreimer
10/20/14 07:21 PM
Piano tuning career prospects 2014
by Morrisos
10/20/14 06:56 PM
Ack! My piano is diseased!
by TwoSnowflakes
10/20/14 06:34 PM
Painting Piano Keys
by imustlearn
10/20/14 06:00 PM
Who's Online
128 registered (anotherscott, accordeur, anamnesis, Alkanaut, 88 Fingers Jeff, 37 invisible), 1468 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158391 Topics
2325843 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission