Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#251399 - 07/31/04 11:08 AM Yamaha vs. Kawai
Hannibal Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia - Cologne, G...
Today my piano got tuned (oh gosh it's so lovely again) and I had an interesting talk with my technician about different piano brands.
Somehow we started talking about the differences of Kawai and Yamaha and I asked him about his preferences. Surprisingly he said that he would always prefer the Yamaha over the Kawai. He pointed out that this statement was solely based on the quality of their products. He used to work for a Kawai dealer a few years ago and said that after a few years you could literally throw them away.

What's your opinion on that? Has the quality of Kawai improved in recent years?

RG TL

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#251400 - 07/31/04 11:49 AM Re: Yamaha vs. Kawai
Eric F Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: La Quinta, CA
Your tuner's malice can be explained by stupidity. What he stated in not true. I don't sell either Kawai or Yamaha, but the facts are the facts. They are both well made, dependable piano lines that are used by restraunts, hotels, sound stages, universities, and millions of families around the world. Any tech who tells you that after a few years, Kawai's need to be 'thrown away' should be himself discarded in the trash heap where he belongs.

#251401 - 07/31/04 01:06 PM Re: Yamaha vs. Kawai
Jeff Bauer Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I have found over the years that people are pretty passionate about their opinions on pianos. It's a personal thing. Teachers and Tuners, especially, tend to over do it with their love for or against a certain brand.

People tend to exxagerate their opinions with such hefty statements as "It needs to be thrown away in a few years". Take it with a grain of salt (and a lime chased with a shot of Jose Cuervo).

Yamaha | Schimmel | Bösendorfer | Knabe | Seiler | Restored Steinway

BauerHouse Productions

#251402 - 07/31/04 01:30 PM Re: Yamaha vs. Kawai
skbpen Offline

Unfortunately even some technicians fall into the brand bashing because of one reason or the other. It is sad because there are a lot of great brands of pianos available today. Kawai and Yamaha happen to be two.
The differences are minor though very significant. Namely the Kawai action - ABS/Carbon fiber is more durable and consistant than the traditional wood. Kawai almost always sounds warmer than a Yamaha, which is prefered in the home. And the players I've had on Kawai preferred the feel as it didn't "get away from them."

#251403 - 07/31/04 02:24 PM Re: Yamaha vs. Kawai
Stevester Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
Kawai makes a nice piano, maybe you should throw your current tech away. It sounds to me like he could be grinding an axe against a former employer.

I like Kawai.

anon

#251404 - 08/01/04 07:24 AM Re: Yamaha vs. Kawai
cps Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
I have a bias towards Yamaha, but I'm not stupid enough to say that Kawais are crap and need to be thrown away after a couple of years! I've worked for a Yamaha dealer for about 6 years, so am very comfortable with the product. I usually don't get along with Kawais as well, but I've certainly tuned plenty of very nice Kawais. Uprights and grands. That ABS action has been the cause of many problems I've come across in Kawais though, and I wouldn't say a timber action isn't "durable". They both have their good points, and bad points. Another matter of personal choice me thinks.

Greg

#251405 - 08/01/04 01:11 PM Re: Yamaha vs. Kawai
cnoblejr Offline

Loc: lake Forest, IL
I played a Yamaha C7 several times and a bunch of Kawai grands & also their premium Shigeru brand. I ended up buying a 9'2 Bosie (280) wich was a bit more money (although less than the 9' concert versions of those -- because mine was "used" at Orchestra Hall)

I thought all were very well made & had a great sound & the touch is wonderful. FWIW, my tech/tuner says that both brands are extremely well made & very easy to tune & keep up.

To me the difference between Kawai, Yamaha & the European pianos is that (in the tenor & bass) the latter seem to "open up" more with increased volume and have a bit richer sound. Not saying that is better, just different.

See the "Bluthner vs Estonia vs others" posts. Lots of excellent comments that helped me a lot.

Bottom line: The K & Y pianos (if boughtfrom a reputable dealer) are first class.

Cheers,

Carl

#251406 - 08/02/04 04:22 AM Re: Yamaha vs. Kawai
Hannibal Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia - Cologne, G...
My tech is quite passionate and sure enough his remark was exaggerated.
Still I was surprised to hear such a negative comment since the general attitude on this board seems to be in favour of Kawai - at least tonally.
However it's been at least 10-15 years since he worked for the Kawai dealer and according to him they were problematic most of the time whereas the Yamahas he worked with were trouble free.
Therefor I enquired whether Kawais have improved in the last years.

BTW he made the 'throwing away remark' about Kawais in institutional environments. The Kawai was finished after 4-5 years. The university also had a Yamaha grand which was heavily abused. For instance they poured nails on the soundboard during Jazz sessions to create special sound effects and still it seemed to be indestructible. A bit of tuning was all the piano needed.

RG TL

#251407 - 08/02/04 04:55 AM Re: Yamaha vs. Kawai
kenny Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hannibal:
. . . they poured nails on the soundboard during Jazz sessions to create special sound effects . . .[/b]
Oh Man!

#251408 - 08/11/04 08:47 AM Re: Yamaha vs. Kawai
DougC Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I'm not sure what or which Kawai your tech was talking about but I'm almost positive he has to have more of a personal reason for the dislike of a Kawai.

I grew playing in a Southern Baptist Church locally here in Atlanta. The first time I sat down to play the Kawai 5'4" grand, I knew that this was my dream piano. Like everyone always has a dream house or a dream car....Kawai was my dream piano. I loved the clarity, the touch, the tone, etc. There wasn't anything about the Kawai I didn't love. Anyway, this was about 22 yrs ago that I played the church piano. The church as all most Southern Baptist churchs constantly had gospel singings with various professional southern gospel quartets and groups coming in. This piano was played by not so well pianists and some that could actually make this Kawai get up and walk up and down the aisles of the church. It was pampered by some piano players, and then abused and beaten by others. This piano still sounds as good today as it did 22 yrs ago. The church has it tuned regularly every 3 months. The keys are still perfectly aligned visually and as I said the tone quality is as it was the first time I ever played it.

Kawai in my opinion is right up there with Yamaha. I prefer the Kawai's tone over the Yamaha. However, when I purchased my used KG-2 a couple of months ago, I had them voice and lighten the touch for me. It's perfect for my taste and style of playing. But both are beautiful well made instruments. The touch and feel on both are adequate in my opinion. But to say that Kawai should be thrown away after a few years....well, he needs to get a reality check.

#251409 - 08/11/04 10:49 AM Re: Yamaha vs. Kawai
Schiedmayer Offline

Loc: france
("the french guy") My Schiedmayer-kawai is 12 years old and i had no trouble with it. Kawai pianos sound warmer than yamaha's which have a lighter action. It's great for recitals ! The Kawai action is "louder" and make our fongers work well !! Kawai at home, Yamaha for recitals ?

#251410 - 08/11/04 11:13 AM Re: Yamaha vs. Kawai
pianojuggler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hannibal,

Your Kawai is a piece of junk. You should throw it away immediately. Just haul the beast out to the curb on trash day. Please send me a private message and let me know your exact address and what day they come to collect your trash.

This message also applies to any Kawai owners in the Northwet corner of the U.S. as well.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
129 registered (accordeur, anotherscott, 42 invisible), 1427 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74217 Members
42 Forums
153533 Topics
2249978 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"Love More" Chris Brown and Nicki Minaj - Piano Cover
by Zach Evans
04/17/14 08:41 PM
Sheet music for Philip Glass's etudes?
by Eldridge
04/17/14 07:57 PM
Charles Walters piano
by Colleen05
04/17/14 07:05 PM
Why 88 keys?
by gsmonks
04/17/14 03:01 PM
Casio AP range advice please
by thamajor7
04/17/14 01:38 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission