Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#171130 - 04/02/05 07:45 AM my second hand new piano. yamaha U3M
LinHo1980 Offline

Loc: Malaysia
Hi everyone out there,

Many thanks for those who has contributed and made this forum a great place to share informaton.

After many month of hunting, i have finally put a deposit payment on a secondhand yahama U3M from a reputable local (malaysia) dealer who has been around for decades.

The piano serial number is M3378857, a 1981 model. The price tag is USD$3000. The piano's in good conditon, with very little work required. The piano is not used extensively.

What do you guys think? I'll need to finalise the payment soon. =) appreciate any feedbacks

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#171131 - 04/02/05 07:52 AM Re: my second hand new piano. yamaha U3M
ilikemozart Offline

Loc: USA
LinHo1980,
Sounds nice! \:\)

-Ilikemozart

#171132 - 04/02/05 08:05 AM Re: my second hand new piano. yamaha U3M
Christopher P. Smith Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Timonium, MD
Great price if it is indeed is good condition. If it were in excellent condition, you would probably be looking @ a price in the $4000 range.

Hope you enjoy!
Serving Central Pennsylvania and the Greater Baltimore Area

#171133 - 04/02/05 06:09 PM Re: my second hand new piano. yamaha U3M
victor kam Offline

Where are you located in Malaysia, LinHo?
Yamaha CS (8ft 3in)#1198650, Ari Isaac Goldpoint hammers on WNG shanks and Profundo S bass strings.
Yamaha UX 2499771; Casio PX-3 keyboard

#171134 - 04/02/05 08:14 PM Re: my second hand new piano. yamaha U3M
LinHo1980 Offline

Hi victor! believe it or not, i think i saw your photo on Star newspaper last week. =) USM, music.

I got it from Euphony Musical, in Ikano Powercentre. According to them, they only import A-class piano.

I'm from ss18 in Subang jaya.

#171135 - 04/03/05 06:47 PM Re: my second hand new piano. yamaha U3M
victor kam Offline

Lin Ho,
Oh man, how did you recognise my name in there??? Btw, i was out on papers again last week, Penang Heritage Trust fund raising. I am one of the singers in there. \:\)
I visited Euphony Musical few weeks ago. They have two grands there......
Yamaha CS (8ft 3in)#1198650, Ari Isaac Goldpoint hammers on WNG shanks and Profundo S bass strings.

#171136 - 04/03/05 07:54 PM Re: my second hand new piano. yamaha U3M
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Man! Two photos in national news paper in one week! We have a celebrity in out midst!

So, LinHo, have you finalized your purchase? When will it be delivered?

#171137 - 04/03/05 11:05 PM Re: my second hand new piano. yamaha U3M
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Congrats to your 'new' piano!! \:\)

Please note that there *are* price differences between different parts of the world - what the same piano would cost here [perhaps more?] may not be relevant to your situation.

Your piano originated from South East Asia
[we call them "grey-market" in North America] and obvioulsy didn't need to be brought to a different continent first.

Hope you enjoy your chosen instrument!

norbert \:\)

#171138 - 04/04/05 05:36 AM Re: my second hand new piano. yamaha U3M
jon-nyc Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: the left bank -- of the east r...
Congratulations on the new piano!

#171139 - 04/04/05 08:59 PM Re: my second hand new piano. yamaha U3M
LinHo1980 Offline

Thanks guys! This is a great site. Will keep logging on frequently to check out the latest news and topics \:\)

Victor,
Hah. I've paid a litt more attention to anything to do with music ever since i started piano shopping. How could i have missed a quarter page picture on a newspaper? :p

Ha..you're a celebritiny Victor!

Axtermus,

The piano was delivered yesterday. Had to take leave from work and wait eagerly at home. Nearly pulled all my hair out! :p

Spent hours playing after the delivery! There are 2 keys that started to generate this buzzing noise when played at "ff-fff". Subsequently, even when i play softer, the buzzing noise remains. Any ideas what would be the problem?

The tuner is scheduled to visit some time this week. Should get it sorted out. I'm cautiously optimistic. 95% satisfied at the moment. \:\)

#171140 - 04/04/05 09:11 PM Re: my second hand new piano. yamaha U3M
AnnieTan4 Offline

Not to worry too much. Your piano is not tuned yet after the moving. I think your tuner will be able to fix it. Like mine! Do play more to find out if there's any other "problems" so u can pin-point to the tuner.

#171141 - 04/04/05 10:09 PM Re: my second hand new piano. yamaha U3M
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member

LinHo,

Congratulations on your new piano![/b]

AnnieTan4,

You've got a new piano too? Your profile has yet to reflect that. ;\)

Got a question for your guys in Malaysia -- do you see prices of NEW pianos publically advertised (in newspapers, on TV/radio, on websites)? When you visit piano stores, are FIXED prices clearly posted on all new pianos? (Or do you have to ask for a price and negotiate a lot?)

How about Singapore, if you're familiar with the piano scene in Singapore.

Just want to get a better sense of how things are done over in your part of the world.

Thanks.

#171142 - 04/05/05 12:10 AM Re: my second hand new piano. yamaha U3M
Jay Offline

Loc: AUD
Ax,
new pianos depending on the brands, if they are the established ones, I believe the prices are fixed. For e.g. some week ago, I saw a new Ritmuller 130 on offer in the local paper for USD 2,900.00. I called them and ask if the price is neg. They said yes, and able to give another 5% on the price. Some clearance stock thing! Yamaha is one of a popular brand here. Long ago I did some price bargain, ended up getting nothing. You won't get another few bucks off even if you're very keen to buy it.
When I bought my Petrof 131 for USD 7,900.00 (between a Yamaha U1, Indonesia USD 5,000) I thought I can get more discount from a dealer in Malacca (1 hr drive from Kuala Lumpur). Everything was cheaper in Malacca than in Kuala Lumpur i.e. property, food & etc. So I thought it will be the same for piano. It turns out to be not. I ended up buying from the principal because of their long business involvement in the piano industry.

The dealer (in Malacca) mentioned that (I donít know how true, but sounds okay to me):-
(1) if they sell below selling price and if the principal finds out they might loose their dealership rights in future. He said he doesn't mind giving me some piano accessories for free i.e. music books, additional tunings, piano covers & etc to act as further discount.
(2) The principal was trying to avoid any price war against dealer(s) within the same state or outside the state. Malaysia is small. It takes only 4 hours from KL to Singapore.
(3) According to the dealer, sales of pianos here, almost 75% are commission sales. Dealer who gives the most commission will get the deal. So to survice, they cannot give more discount. Otherwise, there is no profits.

But what surprises me was the money referrals get ranges from 5%-30% of the selling price. Wow almost 1/2 of my salary in less than few hours. ( Maybe I should quit my job and move to the referral business. NO overhead & NO risk & NO after sales service, after all the dealer will be handling it :rolleyes: , I believe.). I am 35 yrs old now and picking up piano lesson for leisure. Maybe I should work hard and hope to become a teacher one day ;\) .

I donít know about Singapore. Many donky years back, I visited a Steinway dealer in Singapore. Not to buy one but to check out some Kawais. The prices were FIRM.
Regards

#171143 - 04/05/05 12:17 AM Re: my second hand new piano. yamaha U3M
victor kam Offline

Prices are posted on top of the pianos for the most part....up to you to bargain.

#171144 - 04/05/05 02:22 AM Re: my second hand new piano. yamaha U3M
LinHo1980 Offline

For secondhand pianos, prices are posted on top of the pianos too. But they serve merely as an indicator of the order of the price. The same model manufactures from rougly the same year may have very different "Price Tags".

E.g. I've seen the price of a Kawai BL-61 from
RM8000 (that's around USD2,000) from a private seller
to RM 6000-RM8000 from secondhand dealers.

My understanding from Yamaha dealer is that Malaysia importer incurr 10-15% import tax on pianos (while singapore's import tax on piano is 5%). Most imported pianos are of B,C,D grade. Dealers can still make profit because labour cost is low in Malaysia.

My impression of the local market is that it's full of deceptions. Many phoney dealers would offer attractive deals like full 100% trade in value after 5 years, with no intention of staying in business for that long.

So to answer your question Axtremus, No, we don't usually have piano prices advertised on TV. On newspaper however, it's a daily affair to receive Ads that carries the headline "Offer, clearence, good conditioned painos going from RM2,000 (that's USD 500)."

And when you do pay them a visit, they'll show you the so called USD 500 piano in the worst possible light, and try to push a sale on other C/D class reconditoned pianos. (personally, i think they over charge by a fair margin). And there's no guarantee that you're getting what it's worth.

THe more that one knows, the harder it is to get a secondhand piano in Kuala Lumpur. =)

#171145 - 04/13/05 07:31 AM Re: my second hand new piano. yamaha U3M
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Just caught up with this thread.
Thanks guys! \:\)

#171146 - 04/26/05 11:04 PM Re: my second hand new piano. yamaha U3M
AnnieTan4 Offline

Axtremus,

I've got my new second hand piano in end-March. It's Victor 50" with a "His Master's Voice" logo inside. It's definitely not a well-known brand. Imported from Japan. USD1570. Initially, I was a bit skeptical myself too. I scolded myself for putting down the money so fast. Now I like my piano the more I play it. It has beautiful tone...I'll post a picture when I've got a digital..

c'ya.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
81 registered (anotherscott, AndrewJCW, 36251, Baudelaire, barmassimo, bennevis, 19 invisible), 1162 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75569 Members
42 Forums
156245 Topics
2294645 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Gustav Lutz?
by MartaG
07/29/14 06:37 AM
Can anyone help me identify Bach's music in this soundtrack?
by WellTemperedPizza
07/29/14 05:30 AM
Will a Damp-Chaser fill in the cracks in a sound-board?
by Paul678
07/29/14 12:36 AM
The Mason & Hamlin Tension Resonator: Help or Hype???
by Paul678
07/29/14 12:06 AM
What piano do i have?
by allana
07/28/14 11:43 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission