Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#90735 - 07/16/05 08:43 PM Selecting a Church Piano
jbot Offline

Loc: Kentucky
Hi,
This is my first post. Help please! Our church is constructing a new sanctuary which will seat about 600 people. This is much larger than our present sanctuary and we think we will need a new piano. Our present piano is a 35 yr old Baldwin grand (6'5" I think) in need of major work, according to our technician.
I have taken it upon myself to do some research and began this quest by purchasing Larry Fine's "Piano Book" with the latest annual supplement (2005-2006). After reading his works, I have formed some opinions (prejudices maybe?) In any case, I have visited some piano dealers to sample their wares and have been surprised at my limited piano knowledge. Brands I had never heard of (most brands!) sounded GREAT! August Forster had such a "clean" sound, I fell in love!! Schimmel had a richness and warmth that overwhelmed me. Bechstein had such power, I loved it. I know it may surprise many of you but I had never heard any of these brands before my search began. (But, Yamaha, Steinway and Baldwin were all I had heard of!) However, as I looked at the pianos, I began to understand that the church might not be able to afford the pianos which I would include in my "short list". So, now my questions. Give me guidance on how I should proceed for a piano in the $20K-$50K range. OK, if it is very special, I might get the church to spring for $60K-$65K, Maybe?.
One specific question I need answered is, What is the minimum size I should consider and how would a 7' or 8' compare to a 9' in tone, touch and volume?
Please give me all the help you can especially as to brands and size. As you can see, I am not very knowledgeble in this search.
(My "prejudice"? The 9'1" August Forster [after playing the smaller model].) But not sure we can swing the price tag.
Any e-mails are welcome also.

Thanks and Best Wishes,
Jim

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#90736 - 07/16/05 09:21 PM Re: Selecting a Church Piano
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
If you want a piano that is over 9', good quality, and under 50K your choice set is going to be very very small.

If you are willing to have a piano that is 7'6" or thereabouts you will have some real choices.
Grotrian makes a piano that size, and Schimmel has both a 7' and 8'4" model available.

Is the piano going to be used primarily to support a choir and perhaps other instruments? If so, you may not need the booming projection of a full nine footer.

Best,

David F
AKA PianoDad
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#90737 - 07/16/05 09:22 PM Re: Selecting a Church Piano
Loki Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
Whenever i perform in a church i usually play a Yamaha C3 or C5. You can get good deals on them in the 20k-50K range.

The brands that you hadn't heard of are very nice pianos. (Although im not sure a 9' would really be necessary for a sanctuary

For what purposes will this piano be used?

#90738 - 07/16/05 09:31 PM Re: Selecting a Church Piano
jbot Offline

The piano will be used primarily for support of a choir and for congregational singing but will also be used as a solo instrument on some occasions.

#90739 - 07/16/05 10:04 PM Re: Selecting a Church Piano
Niles Duncan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pasadena, CA
I would think that for a 600 seat sanctuary a piano in the 7 foot range would be totally satisfactory.

Niles Duncan
Piano rebuilder, Pasadena, CA
www.pianosource.com

#90740 - 07/16/05 10:06 PM Re: Selecting a Church Piano
Piano*Dad Offline

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
There have been a number of "church piano" threads recently. You might want to do a search for them. The price/size/accompany vs. solo etc issues have all been evaluated.

Here's one on the Grotrian 225 as a church piano:

Grotrian 225--Helpful Opinions

Here's another from a lower budget search

Church Piano Revisited

Best,

David F
AKA PianoDad
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#90741 - 07/16/05 11:46 PM Re: Selecting a Church Piano
jbot Offline

Thanks, Piano Dad. Very intersting and informative discussions.

#90742 - 07/17/05 01:14 AM Re: Selecting a Church Piano
BDB Offline

Loc: Oakland
Without going into specific brands, my experience with pianos in hard, echoing rooms like most church sanctuaries is that mellower pianos sound better in them. There are many good makes, and if I were to go into a piano store, I would look for the one with that sort of tone.

#90743 - 07/17/05 01:47 AM Re: Selecting a Church Piano
jbot Offline

I am interested in specific brands and models. Can you make a suggestion?

#90744 - 07/17/05 02:37 AM Re: Selecting a Church Piano
Loki Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
Yamaha - C7 (7'6 i think) although yamahas do have a tendency to be bright

Kawai - RX6 (7') or RX7 (7'6)
Shigeru Kawai - (the hand made kawais) SK6 (7') and SK7 (7'6)

These are some good pianos to look into that are likely to be in your budget.

#90745 - 07/17/05 03:16 AM Re: Selecting a Church Piano
BDB Offline

Loc: Oakland
No, specific pianos are more important than individual brands. There are very few bad brands on the market these days, as you have already discovered. If your tech can keep you away from the very bad ones, you should be safe with any of them. Just find one with a sound and price you like. You are not likely to go wrong.

If the situation is that the piano almost never plays a significant role performing at the church, start at the lowest end of the price range, and find the cheapest one that you think will be suitable. If it turns out that it is not, or it wears quickly, sell it before it gets to be really bad and just get another. You would be better off going through three $25,000 pianos over a period of time that way instead of being stuck for the same amount of time with one $50,000 piano that you might not like that much better. Start with models about 6 feet. That will provide plenty of sound. Longer length may provide louder and clearer bass, but you may not need that. You have lived with a piano that size so far, and I bet there haven't been complaints.

#90746 - 07/17/05 04:16 AM Re: Selecting a Church Piano
FogVilleLad Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
jbot,

BDB's point about sanctuaries is one to keep in mind. Is your sanctuary carpeted, tiled,...

If it's a non-carpeted room, you'll want to stay away from the bright insturments. Yamaha is probably at the bright end of the tone spectrum. If there's a Charles Walter dealer near enough, you might want to give their 190 (6'3") a listen. It's a quality instrument and a terrific value.

DavidH

#90747 - 07/17/05 07:15 PM Re: Selecting a Church Piano
Roy123 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
I happened to play a Nordiska Master Series grand recently--quite remarkable for the price, I thought. I have no idea how it will hold up, of course.

#90748 - 07/26/05 11:21 PM Re: Selecting a Church Piano
jbot Offline

I spent a wonderful three days, in the last week, examining and playing pianos in the Atlanta area. Many surprises for me. The greatest was how enamored I was with the Bosendorfer sound! What a wonderful instrument. I also discovered why many of the posters on this forum love the Grotrian! Another wonderful instrument. However, these brands are not within the budget constraints of our church. One other fact became quickly evident. Because of price, we must be content with, and confine our search to, an instrument within the 7' - 8' size range. Here were some other surprises. I played a Mason & Hamlin Model BB which had been rebuilt which I loved. It had a wonderful tone and touch. The odd thing was, that I was not similarly impressed with the new model BB's which I played. Another surprise was, a Baldwin 7'6" SF10 model, had a rich, deep, powerful bass and a light action. I had not expected such a wonderful sound and touch and it impressed me very much. I played the 7'6" Shigeru (sp) Kawai and was very impressed but it is out of our price range in the 7'6" model. The Yamaha model C6 (7'6" I think) surprised me with it's mellow tone. I was expecting a very bright tone but was impressed by the value of the piano, in view of the price, tone and touch. There were other surprises too numerous to mention.
Thanks to all who sent e-mails to assist me in my search for a church piano.
If you have helpful comments to my observations or lack thereof, please comment. I always appreciate private comments as well.

#90749 - 07/27/05 12:05 AM Re: Selecting a Church Piano
Steve Ramirez Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: El Cajon, California
The Estonia 273 might be available in your price range. It is said to be a lot of concert piano for the money. One contributor to this forum gave serious consideration to this piano before settling for a Bosie Imperial.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
85 registered (36251, anotherscott, Abby Pianoman, AndrewJCW, 26 invisible), 1031 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76027 Members
42 Forums
157204 Topics
2308841 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Upgrading a Yamaha Silent Series piano
by pianelmo
26 minutes 6 seconds ago
Stuck in method books.
by Chris H.
55 minutes 14 seconds ago
Repeated note legato
by noobpianist90
Today at 02:16 AM
"Y.Becker" # 6839 (pin)
by Maximillyan
Today at 01:54 AM
Why are semi-concert grands so expensive?
by ColinDS
Today at 12:07 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission