Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#182813 - 12/02/05 11:11 PM Kawai GM-10 Any one have opinions?
Captain D Offline

Today I was in a piano store looking at a Kawai K50 upright and I was distracted by a Kawai GM-10 baby grand. I liked the touch very much and the sound was quite agreeable to me also. A bit of voicing to soften the mid range and clean up the treble a bit (not much) and it would be very much to my liking. The dealer offered what seems to be a good price for it but I am worried about it because it is made in Indonesia.

Has anyone any experienc with the GM 10? Does it hold it's tune and keep its action over the years?

Also I would appreciate any information about the quality of Kawai Indonesian pianos. I was not aware that they started making grand pianos in Indonesia.

Thanks

CD

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#182814 - 12/02/05 11:31 PM Re: Kawai GM-10 Any one have opinions?
oct19 Offline

CD,

I was seriously considering a GM-10 in my piano search. In the end, I opted to stretch into an RX-2. However, I learned quite abit about the GM-10.

There are two versions of the GM-10. They are the GM-10K and the GM-10LE. The pianos are structurally identical. However, the GM-10K is assembled in Indonesia and the GM-10LE is assembled in Japan.

Some folks I spoke too felt the GM-10LE's sounded a bit better from the factory and may receive better attention at the factory. I never determined whether this was sales pitch to opt for the LE or reality. To me, they sounded very similar and any difference could likely be removed with proper setup and regulation.

If the assembly in Indonesia is a concern for you (as it was for me) you may want to look into the GM-10LE.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

#182815 - 12/17/05 08:18 PM Re: Kawai GM-10 Any one have opinions?
mbs6 Offline

oct19 and I went back and forth over a series of emails on the GM-10. I almost pulled the trigger on a GM-10K until I realized that another dealer had the Japanese built GM-10LE. I've now had the GM-10LE in my home for about a month.

Tonally, this piano is quite good for such a small grand. That being said, it definitely is a SMALL grand and as such there are tonal limitations, especially on the keys to the left of middle C. The piano seems to be holding its tune very well. We're approaching the time of our free tuning and it seems like only a few keys are marginally out of tune. There are a few keys which make a bit of a ringing sound and I'm hoping the technician can correct this.

I really like the action/touch of the piano. In this regard, it is definitely superior to many vertical pianos I've played.

In short, this piano sounds like a decent quality vertical, but has the action and touch of a grand. In my opinion it is also a lot prettier than any vertical I've seen and adds great atmosphere to the room \:\)

If I had the money and space, I would look at an RX-2. If an entry level grand is suitable for your needs, I think it would be hard to do better than the GM-10.

Finally, I should mention that my understanding is that Kawai is coming out with a GM-12 (built in Japan) to replace the GM-10LE. Only the GM-10K (Indonesian) will continue to be built. You may want to ask the dealer about this.

#182816 - 12/22/05 06:42 AM Re: Kawai GM-10 Any one have opinions?
ett Offline

Loc: johnston
Is the GM10LE still being produced? I was told that the GM10K is replacing the GM10LE?

How do I begin to make a decision on a smaller (4-11 to 5-3) grand piano. Currently considering Kawai and Yamaha.

#182817 - 12/22/05 10:46 PM Re: Kawai GM-10 Any one have opinions?
KawaiDon Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
ett,

The GM-10 LE is no longer being made. It was replaced by the almost identical GM-10 K, which is made in Kawai's factory in Indonesia.

The GM-12 is only just becoming available. It will most likely be a little higher priced than the GM-10LE, as it has the new Millennium-III carbon composite action.

We just prepped the GM-10K to be shown at NAMM next month, and it was a very nice piano with a surprisingly warm sound. The GM-12 will naturally have the benefit of more experienced workers in Japanese production, but the GM-10 actually gets considerably more time in final regulation and tuning - specifically because the factory workers there are still on a learning curve.

The GM-10K construction in Indonesia, by the way, is being managed by one of Kawai's MPA's (our top concert technicians who build the Shigeru Kawai pianos), and he was formerly in charge of Shigeru Kawai making in Japan. Quite a change (and challenge) for him, but he is an exceptionally quality oriented man.

#182818 - 12/23/05 07:30 PM Re: Kawai GM-10 Any one have opinions?
velopresto Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
From a service standpoint, they are very reliable pianos. Honestly, I'm hard-pressed to tell the difference between the LE and the K.

It has, to my ear, the fullest sound of any petite grand that of recent manufacture. It is far more tunable than its competition, that's for sure! But if you can stretch a little and get the RX1, you won't regret it.

If dealer or warranty issues are a concern, I'll add that Kawai is the most responsive company that I do contract work for. They are very interested in good relationships with customers and techs. Warranty situations are dealt with promptly and efficiently.

Buy the one that sings to you from a dealer that you can trust!
Serving most of the greater SF Bay Area
http://dstahlpiano.net

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
168 registered (accordeur, airdis, A Guy, 50 invisible), 1865 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75579 Members
42 Forums
156266 Topics
2294893 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sheet Music Retainers
by MargaretUK
07/29/14 05:20 PM
piano contest
by wkurashima
07/29/14 04:47 PM
piano contest Clavinova
by wkurashima
07/29/14 04:39 PM
Proper chunking method
by Edtek
07/29/14 03:10 PM
Lamp for Piano
by DancerJ
07/29/14 03:08 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission