Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#237839 - 04/11/06 03:30 PM Kohler and Campbell HBK 161 is Hazelton HB 161
tootallll Offline

Loc: Tierra Verde, Florida
Just for your information...the mystery is over...I Spoke with a representitive of SMC and inquired about my recent purchase of a Kohler Campbell model HBK 161. She indicated it was the same piano as Hazelton HB 161...

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#237840 - 04/11/06 05:24 PM Re: Kohler and Campbell HBK 161 is Hazelton HB 161
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I'll bet a complete list of different brands that are actually the same would be an eye opener. The makers just glue on the name of choice on the plate and stencil the name on the key cover - and it becomes whatever brand you want. Sure, there are some changes such as hammer quality but the major parts are basically the same. It's called economy of scale.

#237841 - 04/11/06 05:31 PM Re: Kohler and Campbell HBK 161 is Hazelton HB 161
mamma2my3sons Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Midwest of the great USA
Thanks for letting us know. Think its disengenuous & misleading of Samick. Essentially they are substituting pianos of different specs & price points to the unaware public.

In any event, sorry T not to rain on your parade. Glad you & your wife like the piano. Truely that is the most important point.

#237842 - 04/11/06 05:33 PM Re: Kohler and Campbell HBK 161 is Hazelton HB 161
Steve Cohen Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bob:
I'll bet a complete list of different brands that are actually the same would be an eye opener. The makers just glue on the name of choice on the plate and stencil the name on the key cover - and it becomes whatever brand you want. Sure, there are some changes such as hammer quality but the major parts are basically the same. It's called economy of scale. [/b]
This is not true with most of SMC's lines. Knabe, Sohmer, J. Pramberger, JP Pramberger, Remington and K&C (Hazelton is a K&C line) all use scale designs unique to each line.

While stencilig was once widespread, it is not as common today, with the possble exception of Chinese production where stenciling is much more common.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#237843 - 04/11/06 05:48 PM Re: Kohler and Campbell HBK 161 is Hazelton HB 161
mamma2my3sons Offline
500 Post Club Member

Steve said:

Quote:
K&C (Hazelton is a K&C line)
[/b] If that is accurate, things have changed. K&C was not previously a "stencil"piano--nor did it have a "line". According to Larry fine 2005-2006: Hazelton is Samicks[/b] most inexpensive piano line made to "compete with the Chinese pianos of other makers".

Thus Hazelton is roughly on par with Conover Cable, actual Samick branded, & Remington all of which are entry level w/ laminated soundboards & are(were) priced (by both MSRP & Larry Fines) considerably less than Samick's Kohler Campbell brand. I'm very disappointed in Samick!

#237844 - 04/11/06 06:18 PM Re: Kohler and Campbell HBK 161 is Hazelton HB 161
JRoss1461 Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Mamma,what does Fine list the Hazelton 5 3 at ? Its not even close to a KCG product,and I think 8300 is full retail or over.

#237845 - 04/11/06 06:19 PM Re: Kohler and Campbell HBK 161 is Hazelton HB 161
tootallll Offline

Just call me "unaware"... This has been an excellent learning experience and I am very thankful for everyone's input. I have learned much about how to select and purchase a piano over the last week albiet after the fact.

I cannot pull my wife away from the Hazelton, she loves our new piano and practices for hours each day. I am satisfied with the new Hazelton, it meets our needs at this point, though I am a bit disapointed that I did not research more before we purchased. I always have learned the hard way...lesson learned. Now I have about 3-4 years of research before our trade up...I'm think'n $20-30,000 range...any suggestions? heehee

#237846 - 04/11/06 06:23 PM Re: Kohler and Campbell HBK 161 is Hazelton HB 161
tootallll Offline

I've searched internet prices and they are as low as $6,600 for a Hazelton HB161
http://www.pianosfrompartyanimals.com/pianos.php?Name=HB-161

Real classy internet ad eh?

#237847 - 04/11/06 06:42 PM Re: Kohler and Campbell HBK 161 is Hazelton HB 161
Cy Shuster, RPT Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
Did they tell you when it was manufactured?

--Cy--
www.facebook.com/shusterpiano
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Registered Piano Technician
Dampp-Chaser Certified Installer
PianoDisc Certified Service Technician

#237848 - 04/11/06 06:46 PM Re: Kohler and Campbell HBK 161 is Hazelton HB 161
tootallll Offline

didn't ask...she did say it was a new model and of course manufatured in Indonesia. So, I asked, "If it is the same piano as the Hazelton HB161 then it must have the same specs?", her reply was "yes".
The SMC rep's name was Jane, and can be reached @ 1-800-592-9393 ex 148

#237849 - 04/11/06 07:57 PM Re: Kohler and Campbell HBK 161 is Hazelton HB 161
tootallll Offline

Somewhat ironically, I just received my 2005-2006 annual supplement to "The Piano Book" in the mail today.

In the begining of the chapter titled "Model and Pricing Guide" Fine states: "Some marginal, local, "stencil" brands are omitted." Hazelton is not in the book. I guess this is one Kohler and Campbell that will not be in the next supplement.

#237850 - 04/11/06 09:43 PM Re: Kohler and Campbell HBK 161 is Hazelton HB 161
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
tootallll, this may have been a case where ignorance is bliss. On the one hand you have cleared up the mystery. On the other hand, you have just discovered that your piano is identical to one selling cheaper, and that had you known that, you might have bought from "pianos from party animals" :rolleyes: instead. You sort of have two options: One is to be thankful you found a piano you (and your wife) loves, and which you were after all happy and willing to pay the purchase price for; the second is to go back to the dealer, explain what you have learned here and from Samick, and tell him that if you are buying a Hazelton you want to pay the Hazelton price, and see if he will refund any of your money. The snag, of course, is what if the dealer says no and you've raised your blood pressure for nothing?

Personally, I think your current attitude ("oh well, we love the piano") is probably the healthiest.

#237851 - 04/11/06 10:19 PM Re: Kohler and Campbell HBK 161 is Hazelton HB 161
tootallll Offline

Sorry Monica...too late I already sent him an email. I did not ask for a rebate of the price difference but stated that I was disappointed about what I had learned and that quite frankly I was bewildered as to why a Steinway distributor would sell such an inferior product. I also said I felt somewhat taken advantage of because he was aware that my wife and I knew NOTHING about pianos. Perhaps I should ask for rebate?

#237852 - 04/11/06 10:24 PM Re: Kohler and Campbell HBK 161 is Hazelton HB 161
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
I'm tempted to say "why not?" The best outcome is that if you make a big enough fuss and threaten to return the piano, maybe the dealer WOULD give you some money back. The difference between what the Hazelton sells for and $8300 is not insignificant.

However, there is an emotional factor at work here: You ARE happy with the piano. But what if you asked for some money back and the dealer says no? Would the resulting anger diminish your enjoyment of the piano and make you feel resentful? I would hate for that to happen.

So I guess I would recommmend that you press the issue with the dealer only if you can honestly say it won't bother you if it doesn't get anywhere.

#237853 - 04/11/06 10:29 PM Re: Kohler and Campbell HBK 161 is Hazelton HB 161
tootallll Offline

I am not going to press the issue...just chalk it up to another one of my expensive life lessons that I knew but ignored...caveat emptor!!!

#237854 - 04/11/06 11:10 PM Re: Kohler and Campbell HBK 161 is Hazelton HB 161
mamma2my3sons Offline
500 Post Club Member

tootal, I'm so sorry. I understand your anger however try not to let it ruin things. Samick does not make an inferior piano. I'm sure yours is very nice. Its worth more than the one you saw on line since yours is from a reputable local dealer and has a beautiful mahogany finish--that is always extra-$500+ Plus you have the new slow close fallboard.
I'm sorry we opened this can of worms.

Jross, don't have Fines list for Hazelton-however its my understanding its the same piano as their Samick & CC--the 5'3" in mahogany lists for $10,190

#237855 - 04/12/06 01:35 PM Re: Kohler and Campbell HBK 161 is Hazelton HB 161
tootallll Offline

One last comment and it is water under the bridge, upon close inspection using Fine's buying tips, the workmanship seems to be at least favorable.

The strings on three keys had slight crowding around neighboring tuning pins. The tuninng pin holes were centered properly. The strings are coiled neatly around the tuning pin and are at even heights above the plate. The string coils are hand wound and contain no coil locks. Hammers are aligned properly. Agraffes are used on the tenor and bass strings. There are no rattling bass strings. The strings contact the bridge and bridge pin in the proper spot. The bridges are made out of solid wood...the tenor and bass string bridge looked to to be maple, while the other strings bridge looked like oak.

The sound board is 1/4" laminated wood.(I followed the woodgrain lines from the top of the soundboard down the cut edge to verify and the woodgrains do not match) There appeared to be a good crown on the sound board. Tone and pitch are beyond my evaluating ability at this time. Larry Fine does not totaly spurn a laminated soundboard as long as it sounds ok.

All in all by Fine's standards this piano if anything is at least well consructed...now if I could just learn to play it! \:D

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Taking the hammers with you to do voicing.. ?
by InfiniteClouds
09/30/14 08:19 PM
Pop instrumental
by Michael Forbes
09/30/14 08:05 PM
How do you charge a fellow technician?
by chernobieff
09/30/14 06:28 PM
Question for the moderator...
by Emmery
09/30/14 05:57 PM
Rare Time Signatures
by caters
09/30/14 02:59 PM
Who's Online
126 registered (accordeur, aesop, adrpiano, 36251, 33 invisible), 1390 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76383 Members
42 Forums
157898 Topics
2318968 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission