Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#334715 - 08/24/06 02:09 PM Piano Purchase
guitarguy3 Offline

Loc: Canada
OK, I'm sort of a hack. My main instrument is guitar, not the piano. However, that being said, my first instrument was the piano and organ. I just bought a house that has the room for a under 7 foot grand. Now, I love piano and my wife is also stoked about reviving her playing. My playing on keyboard has limited lately to my home studio that has Sampled pianos like Halion and Ivory. We have budgeted 20 to 30K (cdn.) for a grand piano. Now that will not buy you much in the Steinway world, or many others for that matter. I have looked at the the budget Steinways, Essex and Boston. I have looked at Yamahas in person and on Ebay, maybe a C5 used. I also played a Mason and Hamlin at a local store, which by the way I really liked, but it would be a little above the aforementioned budget. I am a little hesitant to buy a used piano that I have not played(ie: EBAY). Should I be? I suppose it could be checked out by a local technician who I could find from any local piano store in the area. Anyone with any experience in this? Also, I had never heard of Mason and Hamlin, yet I was pretty impressed by the contruction, playability, and tone of the several I played. Any pointers or help towards my piano purchase would be much appreciated.
Thanks and Cheers
Frank

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#334716 - 08/24/06 02:18 PM Re: Piano Purchase
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
 Quote:
Originally posted by guitarguy3:
I also played a Mason and Hamlin at a local store, which by the way I really liked, but it would be a little above the aforementioned budget.[/b]
Go for it. Many of us here doubled (and occasionally tripled ) our starting budgets while shopping for a grand.

Disclosure: I own an M&H A that I am deliriously happy with, and when I bought it I paid WAY more than what I started out thinking I was willing to spend. I don't regret a penny of it, though. \:\)

#334717 - 08/24/06 04:57 PM Re: Piano Purchase
Derick II Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
 Quote:
Originally posted by guitarguy3:
I am a little hesitant to buy a used piano that I have not played(ie: EBAY). Should I be? I suppose it could be checked out by a local technician who I could find from any local piano store in the area. Anyone with any experience in this?[/b]
Yes, you should be. While a competent tech will be able to determine the condition of the piano, he cannot tell you whether you will like the touch or the tone.

BTW, when buying a piano, setting a "budget" is a nice starting point. Inevitably you will spend more than your budget. [Edit: Just saw Monica already said this. Nevertheless, it doesn't hurt to repeat it!]

Good luck,
Derick

#334718 - 08/24/06 05:49 PM Re: Piano Purchase
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
If you happen to be in the Vancouver B.C. area - and at the expense of sounding self-promoting - you may wish to check out our brand new series of "Premium Steigerman" uprights and grands now coming onto the market.

These are totally newly designed pianos meant to be the very best made anywhere in China today.

Musically they are to challenge any piano presently made in the Orient and to have appeal far beyond its own borders.

Known in Europe as "Wendl&Lung" they have had tremendous success for the last few years with some models already being found among several prestigeous colleges and conservatories there.

Steigerman Premium pianos and grands, made by same manufacturer, are finally out here in North America and, in our opinion, are nothing short of a small sensation.

Sitting right besides our Estonia, Sauter and Grotrian grands, they are holding their own nicely against some of the best pianos we happen to have in our showroom ourselves.

Needless to say, at less than half their price....

Norbert \:o

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
AUGUST FORSTER
by Karl Watson
10/24/14 09:05 AM
Piano lessons: every week or every two weeks?
by Pover
10/24/14 06:34 AM
Anything better than the Yamaha CLP-990 yet?
by pianelmo
10/24/14 04:49 AM
Is A443 banned definitively?
by Olek
10/24/14 04:01 AM
Ritmuller Grand Pianos - Help!
by Mike RSA
10/24/14 03:56 AM
Who's Online
123 registered (ajames, AndresD, anotherscott, aesop, 40 invisible), 1282 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76633 Members
42 Forums
158466 Topics
2327092 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission