Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
149 registered (ajames, 36251, accordeur, Alegretto, 46 invisible), 1693 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#102346 - 11/07/06 01:26 AM Steinway 1098 used is it a bargain or a name?
painoparent Offline

Loc: MD
It this piano a good piano for a family (3 kids). I found a 1977 not played for $6,900. It is more then I wanted to spend but it sounded nice and I thought we could resell later if we moved up to a grand. Help I am overwelmed. My daughter seems gifted on a piano and we thought this might be it?

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#102347 - 11/07/06 02:01 AM Re: Steinway 1098 used is it a bargain or a name?
pianistical Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
Steinway uprights are not spoken much about on this forum. Most forum members consider them not to be that good value for the money. I have also understood that some of them can be hard to service and that they may be difficult to tune.
Then, of course, Steinway is always Steinway, and they are not really bad instruments. I played a really nice Steinway upright once. I don´t think that the 70s is their best era. Also, I understand that restoring an upright is usually not as profitable as restoring a grand in terms of the increased value of the piano, even if it is a good brand.

I would suggest that you try to find a slightly used piano from good makers like Grotrian, Förster, Sauter, Seiler or Mason & Hamlin, but maybe those would be above your budget. Otherwise you could try to find a slightly used Schimmel, Yamaha or Kawai.

For $6900 you may be able to get a new Bohemia, which I found to be a very nice piano for the price.

1913 Blüthner model 6
1929 Blüthner model 9.
1955 Steingraeber upright.

#102348 - 11/07/06 08:46 AM Re: Steinway 1098 used is it a bargain or a name?
painoparent Offline

Loc: MD
Any recommendations for Yamahas? The other makes you memtioned I have not seen but I will search. I saw a Yamaha in the paper for 2,900. It is a U1 should I look for a U5 instead? Thks

#102349 - 11/07/06 09:35 AM Re: Steinway 1098 used is it a bargain or a name?
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
i've found the 1098s to be excellent practice pianos.. i was always impressed that the 1098s i played were so stable and sturdy... (practice rooms in a conservatory in spite of being played for 10 hours a day) there are many good practice pianso including the Yamaha U3 (i suppose a U5 is better) and my fave the Charles Walter vertical (check it out definitely) and others.

you have just enough money to purchase an excellent piano if you choose wisely. the 1098 might have been in an institutional setting and be quite worn in spite of what it said. a good way to check to see is an almost 30 yr. old piano has seemed some use is to look at the hammers and see how grooved they are. i myself would try and find the excellent Charles Walter.. the action on those pianos is very similar to finer grands.

it seems the going rate for used 1098s is 7000 no matter the condition.

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#102350 - 11/22/06 09:26 PM Re: Steinway 1098 used is it a bargain or a name?
adtunes Offline

Steinways are never bargains, but they do hold their re-sale value. We bought a used (1976) Steinway 1098 for $7,500 a few years ago (3 kids). It had been reconditioned and sounded and played great. It was more than I wanted to spend for an upright, but it sounded so much warmer and fuller than the Yamaha U-series, Petrof and Charles Walter. Also, our 30-year old 1098 looked no different than a brand-new one that was going for $21K. We love it and have been very happy with it.

#102351 - 11/23/06 10:10 AM Re: Steinway 1098 used is it a bargain or a name?
terminaldegree Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
You'll need to get out there, see and play lots of used pianos first. At that price you can be shopping really good used uprights and good quality new ones (in larger sizes).

Personally (as you can see others disagree with me) I'm not a fan of the model 1098. It's too small, and the sound quality isn't that great (most of my experience has been with new ones). The 70's weren't really considered a good vintage for Steinways, either. The K52 is a wholly different animal (in a good way). Some techs don't like to tune them. True, it may be easier to resell a used Steinway than another brand.

I would strongly suggest you get your hands on a copy of Larry Fine's "The Piano Book" along with the annual pricing supplement if you haven't done so already. It will have some good information about different makers' instruments, some good buying advice on shopping for used pianos, and some myth-busting regarding what you may hear from piano salesmen. Some people (especially here) go a little overboard scrutinizing his piano "rankings" and "tiers" though.

The Yamaha U-series uprights are their best upright models. Generally, the higher the number, the larger the piano. The 48" U1 is a very popular and durable piano. U3 and U5 are the same size (52") with slightly different features and cabinetry. It's impossible to say what's in good condition/is a good deal based on something listed in the paper. It is my experience that the price and condition of many used pianos is often overstated by the seller.
Casio px-200, Bechstein A190 #192939 @ home
Steinway A #585209, B #416809 @ work
Schimmel 130T #339100, on loan

#102352 - 11/23/06 12:30 PM Re: Steinway 1098 used is it a bargain or a name?
ryan.greene Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH
Just go with whatever feels and sounds best to you. You should consider the steinway, but before you buy it you must play other pianos to get an idea of what else is in your market. Every piano (even if they are the same brand and model) has a different character, so be sure to play all of them. I'd be sure to play the Charles Walter uprights as well as the Yamaha U series as others have mentioned.

Also, always take time to play the most expensive piano in the store, it'll be fun and also allows you to guage what kind of piano you will be aiming for.

#102353 - 11/23/06 02:02 PM Re: Steinway 1098 used is it a bargain or a name?
BruceD Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
 Quote:
Originally posted by ryan.greene:
[...] You should consider the steinway, [/b]
I would agree with this only [/b] if you have the piano thoroughly inspected and "approved" by an independent piano technician. Considering the piano on name and sound alone - particularly a piano of this vintage - does not seem to me to be a good move.

This may now be "water under the bridge", too, since this post was started a few weeks ago.

What's the current status of your search, painoparent (sic!)?

Regards,
Regards,

#102354 - 11/23/06 02:03 PM Re: Steinway 1098 used is it a bargain or a name?
BruceD Online   content

Quote:
I would agree with this only [/b] if you have the piano thoroughly inspected and "approved" by an independent piano technician. Considering the piano on name and sound alone - particularly a piano of this vintage - does not seem to me to be a good move.

This may now be "water under the bridge", too, since this post was started a few weeks ago.

Regards,
Regards,

#102355 - 11/23/06 02:03 PM Re: Steinway 1098 used is it a bargain or a name?
BruceD Online   content

Quote:

Regards,
Regards,

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Single note with a "harsh sound"
by i1lsia
12/19/14 12:23 PM
Schaff Bros baby grand piano $300
by Paul678
12/19/14 11:24 AM
What to Practice, Given My Goal
by st23
12/19/14 09:11 AM
Roland V Combo VR-09 Question
by contented
12/19/14 09:11 AM
Rachmoninoff Piano Concertos
by RED SHIFT1
12/19/14 08:48 AM
Forum Stats
77354 Members
42 Forums
159985 Topics
2349425 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission