Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
143 registered (Alexander Borro, accordeur, Achilleas, anamnesis, ajames, 40 invisible), 1773 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#29193 - 01/24/08 12:05 AM Should I buy Perzina?
jcfenfen Offline

Loc: California
There is a piano store closing down and they are having a sale. The Perzina Mahagony Grand G187 is selling for about 14,000, is it a good deal? Or should I buy Yamaha C2? Which one has a better quality? Does anyone have experience with a Perzina piano? It's a less known German piano made in China but the parts are pretty good.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#29194 - 01/24/08 12:52 AM Re: Should I buy Perzina?
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: torrance, CA
Lots of stuff on Perzina here, pro and con. Just hit the search button and enter Perzina. You'll have great fun, but while information about verticals in plentiful, there isn't much on the grands.

BTW, is the shop that's closing the Piano City location that got nailed by the runaway truck?

#29195 - 01/24/08 02:17 AM Re: Should I buy Perzina?
jcfenfen Offline

No, it's Larrick in Sacramento.

I did some search on Perzina in this forum, but not too many about Grand piano, mostly uprights. I am not familiar with this brand, and many people have cautioned about Chinese pianos, so I am just wondering what should I watch out for if I am going to buy it?

#29196 - 01/24/08 02:42 AM Re: Should I buy Perzina?
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

A lot of the dealers who sell Perzina do not stock the grands, only the verticals. That's why you don't find much about them. 187cm is a lot of piano for $14k, but honestly, this price sounds more like a standard discount than a once-in-a-lifetime liquidation price.

Perzina is no more a 'German' piano than I am the Queen of England, but that's irrelevant. Chinese grands that compare in size and price with Perzina 187 and have achieved a greater degree of popularity in this forum are the Hailun (or Steigerman Premium) 178 and the Nordiska K. Brodmann is a Chinese maker with a 187 grand, but that model would be more expensive.

It's understandable to be cautious about Chinese pianos, especially at your level of spending. It would be good for you to compare the Perzina, the Hailun, the Nordiska, or any others you find against the Kawai RX2. The Kawai is a little shorter (178cm) and a little pricier, but would be a good benchmark for comparison.

#29197 - 01/24/08 03:21 AM Re: Should I buy Perzina?
jcfenfen Offline

Thank you so much Turandot for the great and prompt advice, really appreciate it.

One thing I am concerned is that when I played the Perzina in the showroom, one of the key was loose. That kind of weakens my confidence in this brand because it's a new piano, how can it get loose so early. What I like about Perzina is that the sound is very rich and also the way they make cabinet is very detailed.

Can you give me some tips or things to watch out for when purchasing a grand piano? Thank you so much

#29198 - 01/24/08 03:54 AM Re: Should I buy Perzina?
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
I played one of these grands a few months ago and thought it was very nice for the size/price, esp. sound, but at the time I didn't know too much about the brand.

I went back to the store this last week and they had sold it (although many other grands were still on the floor) and were waiting for backorders for more. However, they had in the meantime replaced their entire assortment of Kawai uprights with Perzina uprights and said that they would from now on be only selling Perzina and Bosendorfer grands new.

#29199 - 01/24/08 10:17 AM Re: Should I buy Perzina?
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Jcfenfen,

The thing I would look out for in a new Perzina is whether it is even throughout, both in tone and in action response. Play something in all ranges of the scale. See whether you like the tone in the mid and the treble as much as you do the bass. See if your hands feel equally comfortable with the action response everywhere on the keyboard. These are important in auditioning any new piano I guess, but I think with Perzina it's especially important to get beyond what is admittedly a very fine bass in judging the piano.

A loose key is probably just something overlooked in the preparation more than a deficiency in the maker.

from the Journey
 Quote:
However, they had in the meantime replaced their entire assortment of Kawai uprights with Perzina uprights and said that they would from now on be only selling Perzina and Bosendorfer grands new.
I guess Ron Bol carries a big stick in the homeland. \:\)

#29200 - 01/24/08 11:04 AM Re: Should I buy Perzina?
Steve Cohen Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
 Quote:
Originally posted by turandot:
BTW, is the shop that's closing the Piano City location that got nailed by the runaway truck? [/b]
The owner of Piano City, Steve Lynn, is a good friend of mine. We spent some time talking at NAMM.

Not only did a runaway truck smack into his one of his stores (located adjacent to a freeway ramp), but this is the 3rd time it has happened!!
Once it was the result of a high-speed chase.

I suggested that, when he rebuilds, he should incorporate a bulls-eye into the design of the storefront.

Needless to say, he was only mildly amused! ;\)

BTW, Steve is one of the true professionals in our industry, and a really nice guy!

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#29201 - 01/24/08 12:26 PM Re: Should I buy Perzina?
skradke Offline

Loc: southern california
I own a Perzina Grand, and I do love the beautiful sound, and the touch. The touch is a bit stiffer than other pianos I've played, but I prefer it that way. I play it all the time, and love it, but there are two things that are bugging me now. One is that one of the damper pedals does not come all the way down sometimes. The issue is that the problem is intermittent, and I can never get it to happen when the tuner comes out, so it hasn't been fixed yet. The other problem I saw is with the pedal. When I press the pedal down, the top part of it it is actually hitting a piece of wood underneath the piano. It had been like this all the time, I just didn't notice because they had put a piece of felt where the two pieces were hitting so I couldn't hear it before. So I either have to get them to fix the pedal right, or just get a thicker piece of felt where the pieces are hitting.

#29202 - 01/24/08 02:32 PM Re: Should I buy Perzina?
pianobroker Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Hollywood CA.
It's a competitive market out there in the retail world.Hey,if you can't beat their prices,take the whole store out. Rough times = drastic measures. Maybe College sale ringers can expand their services to the Piano hit squad. Don't get no ideas ,I was just joking
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE

#29203 - 01/24/08 03:32 PM Re: Should I buy Perzina?
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by turandot:
I guess Ron Bol carries a big stick in the homeland. \:\) [/QB]
??? You and I both know that despite the German "heritage" and the Dutch owner these pianos are as Chinese as Tja Sieuw?

Having said that, this particular dealer made a point of saying "our customers today are really only interested in purchasing high value Austrian-German products. That is why we have stopped selling much Japanese..."

#29204 - 01/24/08 04:01 PM Re: Should I buy Perzina?
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Quote:
??? You and I both know that despite the German "heritage" and the Dutch owner these pianos are as Chinese as Tja Sieuw?
Yes, of course. I was commenting on the fact that all the Kawai's had been replaced with Perzina's in a shop in the Netherlands. The pianos are Chinese, but is not Ronald Bol a homeboy?

#29205 - 01/24/08 04:29 PM Re: Should I buy Perzina?
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

yep

#29206 - 01/24/08 07:28 PM Re: Should I buy Perzina?
Craigen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: West Coast
Direct answers:
1. Good price on the 187.
2. Yamaha C2 will be much more expensive.
3. Buy the C2.
4. Yamaha has better quality.
5. Nothing German about it.

I have serious reservations about spending that kind of money with a dealer going out of business. Who do you talk to down the road for service and warranty issues?

#29207 - 01/24/08 08:00 PM Re: Should I buy Perzina?
M&B Offline

First of All Larrick went out of business already. Somebody took over and continued this on-going "out of business sale".

Perzina is just another piano made in China. EVERYBODY who's selling Chinese pianos always link the piano to Germany. This is a way to justify the fact that it is made in China and perhaps give you confidence. That Perzina piano won't hold up as well; Chinese pianos give you a false impression in showrooms, usually these pianos decay faster over the years.
Use logic: something must be compromised in order to make it cheaper. It is not just the low-pay Chinese labor there's a lot more to it in order to make a cheap piano.
Yamaha is a well stablished brand and much better quality.
It's worth it spending a little more and buy the Yamaha. (Don't buy a grey market)

#29208 - 01/25/08 03:07 AM Re: Should I buy Perzina?
swampwiz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Perzina is the only Chinese piano that Larry Fine has deemed as being in tier 3 (all the rest, including the brands that turandot has mentioned are in the lower tier 4.)

It's probably true that the piano will decay quicker, but you never know. There is a point when something is so cheap that even if it will not last as long, it is a good deal.

#29209 - 01/25/08 03:28 AM Re: Should I buy Perzina?
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Wiz, I don't have a Fine update. Hell, who needs one with you here extolling the power of numbers instead of playing the pianos. But I have a question for you. Does Fine talk specifically about Perzina grands or does he just rate all the Perzinas together?

#29210 - 01/25/08 09:38 PM Re: Should I buy Perzina?
swampwiz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I think that he was only rating the uprights, as Perzina was not making grands at that time (?).

#29211 - 01/25/08 09:57 PM Re: Should I buy Perzina?
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Perzina grands have been around a few years, Wiz.

Does anyone else know if Fine treats the Perzina grands and verticals separately?

#29212 - 01/26/08 10:51 PM Re: Should I buy Perzina?
jcfenfen Offline

Thank you all very much for sharing your opinions and experience with Perzina, that really help me a lot in deciding the piano. I will keep looking and share my experience with the baby grands on the forum too.

#29213 - 01/27/08 11:34 PM Re: Should I buy Perzina?
rontron Offline

Fine does treat the grands and verticals separately. He put the verticals in category 3a and the grands in category 4a

#29214 - 01/28/08 02:11 AM Re: Should I buy Perzina?
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Thanks Rontron. \:\)

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Daily temperature swings
by Stubbie
11/26/14 11:45 AM
New Grotrian 6'3" v. Steinway B
by chasingrainbows
11/26/14 11:17 AM
HAPPY THANKSGIVING
by musdan
11/26/14 10:07 AM
Book about Alice Herz-Sommer, pianist and holocaust survivor
by neuralfirings
11/26/14 09:20 AM
What does a dealer have to reveal?
by chasingrainbows
11/26/14 09:09 AM
Forum Stats
77053 Members
42 Forums
159366 Topics
2341036 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission