Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
120 registered (Anne'sson, AndyP, Abby Pianoman, 36251, acollins, 29 invisible), 1578 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#259334 - 03/07/08 04:51 PM Iowa / Midwest Piano World Gathering! (With Recap and Pictures)
Robert H Offline

Loc: Central Iowa
Edited to show final date and time of the gathering - Robert H

Edited title to show that recap and pictures have been added - Robert H

Hi all,...

This is a follow up to this thread:
Iowa thread in the Party forum

I would like to host a piano gathering at our house in Ames, IA. Thanks to so many help from PW members I just purchased a Mason & Hamlin model A for the family late last year. So my wife and I thought that it would be great to have a 'piano-warming' gathering and share our piano with other PW members in the area. We would be honored to have other pianists who are undoubtedly much more accomplished than us play our piano, enjoy some refreshments and casual conversations at our house:)

So I would like to invite all members in Iowa and surrounding states.

Ames, IA is a nice little college-town in the middle of Iowa,... It is within 3 hours drive from Kansas City, MO, Minneapolis, MN, Omaha, NE,and the Quad Cities, IA/IL.

When: Saturday May 3, 2008 - 12:00-4:30p.m.

Our piano will be freshly tuned on May 1, 2008 and we will prepare some food and beverages so you don't have to bring anything other than yourself and some sheet music if you want to. Family and friends are welcome too,...

If you can make it,... please RSVP via PM so my wife know how much food to prepare. I will also send out directions to our house via PM.

For people who are coming from out of state,... here are some other activities around this weekend:

Christopher O'Riley Master Class
Friday May 2, 2008 - 4:00-6:00p.m.

Des Moines Symphony: Celebration Finale
- Sibelius Symphony No. 7
- Ravel Piano Concerto in G - Christopher O'Riley
- Saint-Saens organ Symphony No. 3
Saturday May 3, 2008 - 8:00p.m.
Sunday May 4, 2008 - 2:30p.m.

Christopher O'Riley is the host of "From the Top" show on NPR. Bio & Web Site.

Pella Tulip Time Festival
Wednesday April 30 - Sunday May 4, 2008

While it's not piano related,... Pella Tulip Time is a fun annual spring celebration in the area. Here's a little blurb from the web site:

Join us each spring for a unique festival of beauty with the display of millions of tulips and celebration of Dutch heritage and culture through dance, art, theatre, and so much more! Our goal is to continue to host one of the best small town festivals in the country with events like; 3 exciting parades, Klompen Dancing, big name entertainment, free concerts, music and variety shows, Dutch market, trolley tours, children’s events, fireworks and so much more!

Please let us know in your RSVP if you would like to go to any of these other events,... if there are enough interest I can organize a group trip and getting the tickets in advance

I hope to see some of you this at the gathering! \:\)

Regards,

Robert

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#259335 - 03/08/08 12:49 PM Re: Iowa / Midwest Piano World Gathering! (With Recap and Pictures)
Robert H Offline

bump

#259336 - 03/08/08 03:40 PM Re: Iowa / Midwest Piano World Gathering! (With Recap and Pictures)
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
I think it's terrific you're willing to host a party, hidajat. Wish I were closer so I could go.

#259337 - 03/09/08 04:21 PM Re: Iowa / Midwest Piano World Gathering! (With Recap and Pictures)
Deerwood Dad Offline

Loc: Minneapolis
Monica -- I'll chip in for a tank of gas (even if you drive a Chevy Suburban) if you attend and show us all how a M&H A can sound!

#259338 - 03/11/08 01:33 PM Re: Iowa / Midwest Piano World Gathering! (With Recap and Pictures)
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
I thought I'd bump this during the week to see if I could spur some additional posts from week day readers. C'mon Iowa folks we need to hear from you if you want this event to happen. The symphony concert will be awesome as they're doing the Ravel G major Concerto, and the Saint Saens C minor and the Sibelius 7th Symphonies. But you don't have to have a symphony ticket to go to the party! Are there no Iowa lurkers here????

#259339 - 03/12/08 10:59 PM Re: Iowa / Midwest Piano World Gathering! (With Recap and Pictures)
Robert H Offline

Another bump,...
Steve,... we may have to send out a few PMs this week,...

#259340 - 03/17/08 12:48 AM Re: Iowa / Midwest Piano World Gathering! (With Recap and Pictures)
Robert H Offline

Hi all,...

I just received a PM from RonaldSteinway who might be able to make it from as far away as Chicago!! That's about a 6 hours drive!

Anybody else from Iowa?

I really would like to host this party for PW members,... but if we don't get enough people I might take Kenny's suggestion and talk to some piano teachers in the area to see if they have adult students who may be interested in coming.

Regards,

Robert

#259341 - 03/17/08 06:37 AM Re: Iowa / Midwest Piano World Gathering! (With Recap and Pictures)
Rich Galassini Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Remember to take pictures! That is a requirement of all piano parties!!
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
www.cunninghampiano.com

#259342 - 04/16/08 12:04 PM Re: Iowa / Midwest Piano World Gathering! (With Recap and Pictures)
Robert H Offline

Hi all,...

This is the official invitation to all PW members from Iowa and surrounding states to our piano gathering coming up in a couple of weeks.

When : Saturday May 3, 2008 - 12:00 - 4:30p.m.
Where: our house in Ames, IA
Piano : our Mason & Hamlin A

Our piano will be freshly tuned on May 1, 2008 and we will prepare some food and beverages so you don't have to bring anything other than yourself and some sheet music if you want to. Family and friends are welcome too,...

If you can make it,... please RSVP via PM so my wife know how much food to prepare. I will also send out directions to our house via PM.

For people who are coming from out of state,... here are some other activities around this weekend:

Christopher O'Riley Master Class
Friday May 2, 2008 - 4:00-6:00p.m.

Des Moines Symphony Celebration Finale
- Sibelius Symphony No. 7
- Ravel Piano Concerto in G - Christopher O'Riley
- Saint-Saens organ Symphony No. 3
Saturday May 3, 2008 - 8:00p.m.
Sunday May 4, 2008 - 2:30p.m.

Pella Tulip TimeFestival
Wednesday April 30 - Sunday May 4, 2008

Please let us know in your RSVP if you would like to go to any of these other events,... if there are enough interest I can organize a group trip and getting the tickets in advance.

I hope to see you at the gathering \:\)

Regards,

Robert

p.s. Rich,... we'll definitely take some pictures \:\)

#259343 - 04/19/08 12:06 AM Re: Iowa / Midwest Piano World Gathering! (With Recap and Pictures)
Robert H Offline

Bump,...

How about a peaceful and argument-less gathering anyone? \:\)

Regards,

Robert

#259344 - 04/28/08 02:55 PM Re: Iowa / Midwest Piano World Gathering! (With Recap and Pictures)
Robert H Offline

Hi all,...

The gathering is coming up pretty soon,...

Thanks to all who have sent in their RSVPs,... I've sent out directions to our house via e-mail/PM,... please let me know if you have any questions,...

Those who have not sent in their RSVP yet,... please send it in by this Thursday,...

My wife and I are looking forward to see you all this weekend! \:\)

Regards,

Robert

#259345 - 05/04/08 12:09 AM Re: Iowa / Midwest Piano World Gathering! (With Recap and Pictures)
Terrytunes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tewksbury MA
So... how was the first PW gathering in Iowa???

#259346 - 05/04/08 04:54 PM Re: Iowa / Midwest Piano World Gathering! (With Recap and Pictures)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
I think they are all still recovering from the hangover. :p

flickr

#259347 - 05/05/08 10:56 AM Re: Iowa / Midwest Piano World Gathering! (With Recap and Pictures)
Robert H Offline

Hi all,...

It went very well,... we definitely had a great time thanks to everybody who took the time to attend and grace our house with great music! We really appreciate it.

My wife, Lia, was pretty confident earlier in the day and played a few songs,... but as soon as the other PW members started playing,... wow,... we're blown away and she doesn't want to play anymore \:\)

Another thing we learned is that pianists don't eat very much,... we probably had over 3 pounds of bbq pork and beef left over!

We had a busy Sunday too,... our daughter were baptized and we have some family visiting,... so I haven't had a chance to get the pictures from the gathering downloaded to my PC and put together a post,...

I'll put it together tonight,... stay tuned,...

Regards,

Robert

#259348 - 05/05/08 03:42 PM Re: Iowa / Midwest Piano World Gathering! (With Recap and Pictures)
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
Robert,

We had a good time. I tried to eat, but there was just so much. I could barely make a dent and with the M&H A beckoning I didn't have as much time. Tell Lia the two of you were gracious hosts and we enjoyed ourselves, but the only way to get better is to practice. Hopefully she'll hear the siren song of your instrument calling to her from the music room saying, "Play me."

#259349 - 05/06/08 12:49 PM Re: Iowa / Midwest Piano World Gathering! (With Recap and Pictures)
Robert H Offline

Hi all,...

Here comes some pictures and recap from the gathering:)

The gathering went well,... I was a bit worried about the weather at first because since I started checking almost 2 weeks ago the forecast have mostly been rain and thunderstorm,... But I was glad that it ended up being a wonderful sunny day,... with a bit of a cool breeze,...

Due to some last minute conflicts not everybody was able to make it,... I really appreciate those who were able to come,... Including my family we had about 20 people at the gathering,...

I had some name tags out so it's easier for people to get to know each other and I put together a little PW flyer to recruit the non-members \:\)

We had some local BBQ beef and pork from Battle\'s Bar-B-Q and local wine from Prairie Moon Winery as well as various munchies and some home made green tea cake for dessert,... Sorry I forgot to take a picture of the food,... \:\)

Here are some pictures of people enjoying some food and conversation before they started playing the piano,...

L to R: Tomasino who came all the way from Minneapolis, Potter (John) from Le Grand, IA, Mark my neighbor accross the street \:\) , and Mrs. Potter (Carole)

L to R: Mark's wife Carolyn, our family friend Valentina who has 2 kids taking piano lessons, and my wife Lia

#259350 - 05/06/08 01:02 PM Re: Iowa / Midwest Piano World Gathering! (With Recap and Pictures)
Robert H Offline

Some people starting to take our M&H for a spin. Sorry the window and the bright sunny day outside doesn't let me take the best pictures,...

Potter started off with Clair De Lune and Brahm's Intermezzo

Tomasino played some very nice Goldberg Arias and Schubert

Steve Chandler played a lot of his own original songs,... you guys should check it out on his web sites,... I especially like his Steve Light songs!

Ruth played many beautiful songs including some Sonatinas and some Gershwin hits

Tom, my piano technician, played a few very nice jazz pieces

Edit to add:

My wife, Lia, also played some Yanni and Richard Clayderman songs,... but I didn't take her picture \:\(

#259351 - 05/06/08 01:18 PM Re: Iowa / Midwest Piano World Gathering! (With Recap and Pictures)
Robert H Offline

Some pictures of the audience,...

L to R: Tomasino, Carole, Steve C (playing), Ruth, Lia, and me in the corner

L to R: Me and Ruth mesmerized by beautiful piano songs

Nina,... 4 months old now and my mother-in-law who are in town

And,... toward the end of the day Tomasino, Steve, Lia and Ruth singing along to some Gershwin hits,... If I remembered correctly,... "They Can't Take That Away From Me",... and a couple others,... Steve please remind me,...

#259352 - 05/06/08 01:27 PM Re: Iowa / Midwest Piano World Gathering! (With Recap and Pictures)
Robert H Offline

Ok,... Overall a great day I thought,... our family enjoyed it immensely.

We want to express our thanks again to everyone who decided not to throw away my invitation to the junk mail folder (thanks Potter \:\) ) and took the time out of their weekend to enjoy and share some food, great piano music and conversation with strangers who share a love for piano. Thank you for giving our piano a great workout!!

Now that everybody know that we don't bite and nobody disappeared mysteriously after the gathering, hopefully more people will be open to come to the next one \:D

I'm thinking that the next one should be a bit later into the spring season when it's sweet corn season here in Iowa,... so we can enjoy some really great Iowa steamed and grilled sweet corns!!

Regards,

Robert

#259353 - 05/06/08 03:03 PM Re: Iowa / Midwest Piano World Gathering! (With Recap and Pictures)
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
 Quote:
Originally posted by Robert H:
[QB] Now that everybody know that we don't bite and nobody disappeared mysteriously after the gathering, hopefully more people will be open to come to the next one \:D
More people? Looks to me like you had quite a group there!!! One recent get together local at Jeanne W's we had 3 and we had a great time!

Thanks for sharing the pics and event with us. BTW, do you play too? (didn't read back through all the posts - was just looking for the pics!)

I loved seeing that people stood around the piano and sang. It reminds me of the 'good ole days'.

BTW, RUTH....what is that on your shirt?

#259354 - 05/06/08 03:49 PM Re: Iowa / Midwest Piano World Gathering! (With Recap and Pictures)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

That looks like great fun, Robert H. Congratulations on a successful get together. By the way, your home is beautifully and tastefully decorated.

flickr

#259355 - 05/06/08 04:05 PM Re: Iowa / Midwest Piano World Gathering! (With Recap and Pictures)
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Oh, I'm so jealous about all these great piano parties that are too far away for me to go to. Looks like everybody had a great time, Robert. \:\) And even though there's a little glare, having the window there made for some dramatic shading and very nice photos.

p.s. I don't think babies come any more adorable than Nina. Four months old is my all-time favorite baby age. If I could freeze a baby at that stage I'd have a dozen of them. \:D

#259356 - 05/06/08 05:51 PM Re: Iowa / Midwest Piano World Gathering! (With Recap and Pictures)
RickG Offline
500 Post Club Member

Looks like a great time was had by one and all. What a beautiful house and a beautiful piano. Congrats!!

#259357 - 05/06/08 09:50 PM Re: Iowa / Midwest Piano World Gathering! (With Recap and Pictures)
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Groton, NH
Wow it looks like a great time. (What a lovely home you have.) Thanks for sharing the photos and recap Robert.

Congratulations on hosting the first Iowa piano party!

PS Nina is sooooo cute!

#259358 - 05/06/08 10:09 PM Re: Iowa / Midwest Piano World Gathering! (With Recap and Pictures)
Rich Galassini Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Nina is DEFINITELY a cutiepie!

great pics.! it looks like a good time was had by all.

Thanks Robert.
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
www.cunninghampiano.com

#259359 - 05/06/08 10:46 PM Re: Iowa / Midwest Piano World Gathering! (With Recap and Pictures)
Terrytunes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tewksbury MA
Robert.. thanks for taking the time to post your pics and reviews. I am pleased to know all went well and certainly appears everyone enjoyed a warm welcome into your home.

OK, now I need to know from Tomasino if he created his own avatar!! I know I've read many of his posts and I knew it was him before reading his name!

Potter... Brahm's Intermezzo.. 118 /2 by any chance?? It's a fairly popular one around this way thanks to Bernard!

Nina is simply adorable! Sure is a beautiful pic of her and her very proud grandmother.

Nice meeting all of you! Oh, btw, are Ruth, Tom and John all PW members??? If not, hopefully they are now. ;\)

#259360 - 05/07/08 02:03 PM Re: Iowa / Midwest Piano World Gathering! (With Recap and Pictures)
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
gosh..

i really wish i could have come. there is nothing quite like a wonderful piano party.

your home is lovely!

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#259361 - 05/15/08 01:05 AM Re: Iowa / Midwest Piano World Gathering! (With Recap and Pictures)
Robert H Offline

Hi all,...

Thanks for your comments!

Lilylady,...
I'm just giving a nudge for a few Iowa members that I invited via PM and for some reason didn't even reply and say no,...
I play a little but definitely not as good as Lia and nowhere near the other members!

Terrytunes,...
Thanks for all your help and advice in preparation for the gathering.
John is Potter on PW,...
Ruth and Tom are not members at the time,... hopefully they are now \:\)

apple*,...
Hopefully you can make it next time,...

Everyone,...
Thanks for your comments on Nina,... she's our little pooh bear,... a smiling and drooling bundle of joy!
Lia also thanks you for your comments on the house,... decorating the house is her other hobby \:\)

It was definitely a great time,... We're already looking forward to the next one,... and we're also looking into hosting a party at our house to raise funds for the ISU Music Department,... Has anybody heard of the Ames Piano Quartet? Here's one of their recording.

Now I need to get Tom back for some regulation work after the heavy workout:)

Regards,

Robert

#259362 - 05/15/08 01:17 PM Re: Iowa / Midwest Piano World Gathering! (With Recap and Pictures)
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
 Quote:
Originally posted by Robert H:

Now I need to get Tom back for some regulation work after the heavy workout:)

Regards,

Robert [/b]
Buy a Kawai next time. ;\)

#259363 - 05/15/08 03:44 PM Re: Iowa / Midwest Piano World Gathering! (With Recap and Pictures)
Robert H Offline

Hi theJourney,...

We really like the RX and SK pianos that we tried,... but overall we love our M&H quite a bit more:)

A bit more info regarding my regulation comment,...

Our piano was built in 2006, we purchased it on Dec 2007 and we've had it tuned twice,... in January and a couple of weeks ago.

At the last tuning,... I asked Tom to clean the soundboard as well,... when he pulled the action out to clean the soundboard I noticed that the action is not perfectly regulated (at least to my non-tech eyes everything doesn't seem to be perfectly lined up),... I asked Tom about it and he concurred that it could use some regulation,... then I asked him whether it makes sense to do a complete regulation at the time since we have the gathering coming up,... Considering that we don't play the piano very heavily and we don't notice anything when we play, he suggested that we wait another year or 2 as the piano settles before doing the complete regulation. So I decided to wait.

After the gathering, we noticed one key sticking (our first one \:\) ),... and Lia noticed that the piano feels a bit off,... after a few days the sticking key somehow fixed itself,... but Lia still feels that that the piano is a bit off,... so,... considering this and the fact that the piano should have settled enough since 2006, I thought that it might make sense to go ahead and do the regulation now \:\)

I'm still waiting for additional advice from Tom.

Regards,

Robert

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha CP33?
by Possum SP280Krome
11/27/14 04:16 PM
E4 Just Won't Come Into Tune
by Cobra1365
11/27/14 03:49 PM
10k budget for a piano in SW Ontario
by bogdan101
11/27/14 03:47 PM
Roland PHA3 action, graded?
by stamkorg
11/27/14 02:54 PM
Hello all
by Jytte
11/27/14 02:10 PM
Forum Stats
77071 Members
42 Forums
159402 Topics
2341550 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission