Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#256292 - 04/06/08 08:45 PM LX player System Review
Playerman, RPT Offline

Loc: Southeast
This past week I installed a Live Performance LX system on a new Steinway M. Having installed over 1500 player systems over the past 16 years, I was wondering how it would compare to the other systems that I have installed. I currently install PianoDisc, Pianomation and PianoForce. I noticed right away, that the LX system has impeccable expression, both in the playing and the dampering. The damper pedal solenoid has what is called "proportionate pedaling", which is capable of capturing the true pedaling of the artist, not just "on and off" positions which other systems have. I also noticed right away that the LX system does not lose its expression when playing at low volume. This is something that I have always had a problem with on other player systems. The customer always wants the piano to play at a very low volume, and when you get the piano to play very softly, the expression suffers to the point of sounding "mechanical". Not so on the LX! All in all I was very pleased with the way it played. What made it more interesting was having a Yamaha C-3 in the shop that I had installed a PianoDisc System on. I could compare the two pianos side by side. However, I was using a PianoDisc CD to do the comparison, and the PianoDisc CD has only 127 levels of expression compared to over 1000 on the LX. Yes, I said over 1000 levels of expression! Oh, did I mention that the PianoDisc would not play the LX CD's? This was being kind of unfair to the LX system, since it could only play the 127 levels that the PianoDisc CD had on it. Even at that, I could tell a marked difference in the low volume play, which is where the customer is most apt to play it. I am currently installing a PianoDisc in a new Steinway "O" which I can compare to the LX. This test will be more objective because Wayne Stahnke of Live performance was kind enough to send me some LX floppy disks that I can put in the PianoDisc system and compare apples to apples. It will be interesting to see what will happen when I put a disk into the PianoDisc system that is capable of over 1000 levels of expression, when the system itself can only play 127. If I don't get blown up by this experiment, I will post my results on this comparison in a few days!!

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#256293 - 04/06/08 10:12 PM Re: LX player System Review
terminaldegree Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
Although I am sure there is a small (but dedicated) faction of folks at PW who are interested in reproducing systems, I must admit I am very skeptical of your motives in posting this here. Why?

1. You were so moved by this installation that you registered on the forum and your first post on PW is to tout this new system.
2. Many (though not all) RPT's on here post their real names or links to their business websites where we can read about who they really are.

If you work for/are paid by the Live Performance LX people, just say so. Tout your system's features while not resorting to the Steinway sales playbook of having to bash everyone else in the process.

Even if I'm 100% wrong about this, you must admit the original post looks a little shady... For the record, I have absolutely no personal or financial interest in ANY reproducing/player system.
Casio px-200, Bechstein A190 #192939 @ home
Steinway A #585209, B #416809 @ work
Schimmel 130T #339100, on loan

#256294 - 04/06/08 11:21 PM Re: LX player System Review
Playerman, RPT Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Playerman, RPT:
[

#256295 - 04/07/08 05:41 AM Re: LX player System Review
jeffoldbean Offline

Loc: England
Dear, Dear, Dear Playerman,RPT,
How many LX Systems have you installed.
How much do you charge, GBP/USD.
How long do you take, to install the LX System?

jeffoldbean.

#256296 - 04/07/08 02:12 PM Re: LX player System Review
Grand Piano Haus Offline

Loc: Skokie, IL
Dear Terminaldegree,

Thank you very much for your post. As you can see this is not my 1st post. I do actually post here & there. ..But I have to throw my 2 cents in this thread. Yes, it is true that many that use this forum do disguise themselves. That is just the way it is. I’ve learned to live with it and also learned to live with a lot of nonsense posted by many. Anyway, I feel that your response deserves a response from someone who actually understands the Live Performance LX and is a qualified technician and that does not hide behind their identity. If you feel that you would like to contact me you may do so. What you are about to read are facts. I am not employed or compensated by Live Performance Inc. in anyway by responding to your post. I do not know the actual identity of the person that created this thread. I do agree with what was posted by Playerman RPT. The LX is by far the most extraordinary retrofit piano player system on the market today. I would like to send you (Free of charge) a recording that I did in house of the Live Performance model LX installed on our Shigeru Kawai SK6 7’ orchestra grand. I strongly feel that anybody who wants to challenge the LX should 1st hear it for themselves. Of course the best would be is to witness in person the LX at a Live Performance dealer. I’m also in the final stages of producing an HD video of the Live Performance LX playing our beautiful Shigeru Kawai for the world to witness. I bow my head to the inventor and designer, Mr. Wayne Stahnke for developing what I feel is one of the greatest achievements in the piano industry. Please understand that I feel the Live Performance LX was never intended to do away with pianist. As a matter of fact I have experienced it has done the exact opposite. I feel the Live Performance LX can and will inspire new young artist. Since I have demonstrated the Live Performance LX to local piano teachers in my area I have witness more and more requests of these teachers asking me if it would be alright if they could bring in their students into my showroom to actually hear performances by Earl Wild, Rachmaninov, Katherine Bacon, Gerald Robbins, Dick Hyman etc.. played as they actually would have played if they were in my showroom in person.
Yamaha, Bösendorfer, Steingraeber & Söhne, Kayserburg, Ritmüller, Cable-Nelson, CEUS, Live-Performance model-LX, Disklavier-PRO, Q.R.S. & PianoDisc, AvantGrand, Clavinova, Arius http://www.GrandPianoHaus.com.

#256297 - 04/07/08 04:42 PM Re: LX player System Review
Playerman, RPT Offline

Hello terminaldegree, I find your remarks very amusing coming from someone whom we only know as "terminaldegree." It would be nice to post your website as well so we can all get to know you! By the way, I am not employed by ANY manufacturer of player systems or pianos.

#256298 - 04/07/08 05:09 PM Re: LX player System Review
schwammerl Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Belgium
If anyone wants to see/hear live performances of the LX system installed on a Brodmann 187, played by Gerald Robbins (Scarlatti & Albeniz):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjhOvi5-Rk0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDnbkuM0qwA

schwammerl.

#256299 - 04/07/08 07:31 PM Re: LX player System Review
Craigen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: West Coast
There is no question that Mr. Stahnke is a genious. His contributions to the player world are legendary. However, as I recall, his player for the Bosendorfer several years back worked only with its own software and the library was very limited and grew little after introduction. Maybe others remember it differently.

This new LX system seems to do its expressive magic only with it own propriatory software. How big is the library? Any name artists? Plans to grow the library?

#256300 - 04/07/08 08:50 PM Re: LX player System Review
Grand Piano Haus Offline

Loc: Skokie, IL
Hi Craigen,

Wayne currently has about 25 native LX titles. The LX will also playback Yamaha disklavier CDs, PianoDisc (non encrypted CDs), QRS Pianomation, & Pianocorder data formats.

Yes, he plans to expand his library. He can easily produce more titles because he owns a Bösendorfer 290SE and a Yamaha C7 retrofitted with an SE unit. This will allow him to make future high resolution recordings. He also has the ability to transfer historic piano paper rolls with amazing accuracy from Ampico, DuoArt, & Welte-Mignon. You may hear some Rachmaninov pieces from a Telarc CD titled: A Window in Time.

Earl Wild
Gerald Robbins
Katherine Bacon
Zez Confrey
Dick Hyman
Larry Dominello
Rachmaninov
Frederick Moyer
Johnny Guarnieri
And lots more to come……
Yamaha, Bösendorfer, Steingraeber & Söhne, Kayserburg, Ritmüller, Cable-Nelson, CEUS, Live-Performance model-LX, Disklavier-PRO, Q.R.S. & PianoDisc, AvantGrand, Clavinova, Arius http://www.GrandPianoHaus.com.

#256301 - 04/07/08 09:33 PM Re: LX player System Review
terminaldegree Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
Grand Piano Haus:

Thank you for the information and kind offer. I don't perceive reproducing pianos as any threat to live music, and am happy that enthusiasts have more choices in the marketplace to enjoy such a thing.

It's impolite to request something from you for, well, nothing... maybe I can swap one of my CDs for one of yours. Or, if you have any sort of in-house performance space we could have some sort of concert for charity, if I were headed north in the fall. We can PM further if you wish. Thanks again.

Playerman, RPT:

The forum moderators know who I am, and so do others whom I have come to trust over the years here.

You have to admit that the sort of first post you offered seems rather odd, or at least suspiciously like advertising (or could be easily interpreted as such). This happens here sometimes -- a "one hit wonder" registers, posts praises about XYZ piano store and their experience with the owner, and then vanish into the ether. There were no questions or exchange of ideas taking place. It smacks of desperation, and does little to promote the purpose of this place. I'm not saying you are one of these people, just that your first post really felt like that. If it really bothers you, feel free to give my member rating a whack for therapeutic purposes...
Casio px-200, Bechstein A190 #192939 @ home
Steinway A #585209, B #416809 @ work
Schimmel 130T #339100, on loan

#256302 - 04/07/08 10:06 PM Re: LX player System Review
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

From what I understand there is quite a price premimum for the LX system over the QRS and PianoDisc products. One would pay this premimum because of the more sensitive expression. While the LX plays other software, when it does you only get the same expression as on the other systems. Someone buying the LX system only has 25 albums to choose from to get the extra expression designed into the system. It this correct?

#256303 - 04/07/08 11:50 PM Re: LX player System Review
Mark Fontana Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
I am planning to have an LX system installed into my Schimmel CC213T- even though I do play this piano myself- because I would like to listen to pianists of much greater ability on the same piano.

In preparation, I'm working on adding support to my MID2PianoCD encoding utility for transcoding high-resolution Disklavier Pro ("XP") recordings into the appropriate format for the LX system. This will make it possible to play all of the high-res content available at Piano-e-Competition.com . It is possible that other producers of high-res content, such as Zenph Studios , may release recordings for the LX as well.

The high-res recordings situation is analogous to the rollout of HDTV. At first, there wasn't much content available... just a demo loop on PBS and a few primetime shows. But it was worth buying an HDTV even several years ago because the availability of content was bound to ramp up as more people were able to view it. In the meantime, you could still enjoy a few HD programs as well as improved display of standard definition shows.

In the piano world, only Yamaha has had a high-res player system on the market at an "affordable" price during the last decade. But even Yamaha itself hasn't released any commercial high-res recordings for these Disklavier Pro models, even though the Pros have been out for over eight years. I expect that with more affordable high-res playback systems like the LX available, the high-res content will follow.

#256304 - 04/08/08 12:48 AM Re: LX player System Review
schwammerl Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I edited the links from YouTube to 'www.' so that the intefrace is now English instead of French.

Thank you Mark Fontana for the suggestion.

schwammerl.

#256305 - 04/08/08 12:58 AM Re: LX player System Review
schwammerl Offline
2000 Post Club Member

From terminaldegree,

Quote:
I don't perceive reproducing pianos as any threat to live music, and am happy that enthusiasts have more choices in the marketplace to enjoy such a thing.
Apparently some people do care about the future career of pianists:

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/21839.html

This thread got little attention though.

schwammerl.

#256306 - 04/08/08 05:59 AM Re: LX player System Review
jeffoldbean Offline

I am not quite sure where, this thread is going.
Is it an attack on the LX system?
Is it an attack, on the Touting, of the LX System?
Is there a genuine concern, that player piano systems will takeover?
And will Playerman, RPT, PLEASE, answer me questions.

jeffoldbean.

#256307 - 04/08/08 02:16 PM Re: LX player System Review
Wayne Stahnke Offline

Loc: US
Many thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. The back-and-forth can only enhance everyone's understanding of player pianos, mine included. I would like to add a few comments that I hope will make a positive contribution to the discussion.

Marty Flinn poses a fair question: why pay a premium for a player piano for which there is at present only a small (25 CD) native library? Mark Fontana's reply that the library will grow is correct, of course, but there is another reason that in my view is far more important.

It is true that the LX is at its best when playing its native high-resolution recordings, and it is here that it really shines. However, it is not just the recordings in an LX that are of high accuracy. The playback mechanism itself is more accurate and has a larger performance envelope. This has important implications when playing any recording from any source.

Now, the path from an original performance by a pianist sitting at the keyboard to a player piano re-performance includes several steps, each of which introduces errors. This is in the nature of things and the errors cannot be eliminated, only reduced. For the purpose of discussion here, we consider the data path as comprising three such steps: recording, placing the performance data on a recorded medium, and playback. Errors are introduced at each step, and the final result is that the hammers hit the strings and the dampers are raised and lowered not exactly as the artist originally performed, but in an approximation to the original performance gestures.

The error in the final performance is the sum of the errors introduced at each step. Reducing errors at any point along the way yields a better (that is to say, more accurate) performance, one that is more musically satisfying.

Errors are of two kinds: keyboard errors and pedal errors. Keyboard errors in turn are of two types: temporal (errors in timing) and dynamic (errors in loudness). The LX was designed from the ground up to minimize both types of errors, and they are sharply lower in the LX than in some other mechanisms. Pedal errors are errors in position and errors in velocity (the speed at which the dampers leave the strings and come into contact with them). The LX uses a servomechanism pedal actuator that can reproduce both positions and velocities with great accuracy.

Thus an LX re-performance of a recording from a non-high-resolution source contains less total error than a re-performance on a less accurate playing mechanism. The difference is especially marked at low playing levels, where errors are larger in any mechanism than at higher levels. This means that the LX plays non-high-resolution recordings quite satisfactorily even at low volume, as Playerman RPT has remarked.

When playing recordings with only on-off pedaling information, the LX synthesizes proportional pedaling by examining the keyboard activity just before and just after the pedal change. When the playing is soft and slow the pedal is moved slowly, as a human pianist might, and when the playing is fast and loud it is moved more quickly, again as a human pianist might. The synthesis is far from perfect, and is certainly no substitute for true proportional pedaling, but it raises the dampers to their full height, provides realistic damper velocities, and the pedal servomechanism is absolutely silent. The very least that should be said for synthesized proportional pedaling is that it adds variety to a re-performance by using different pedal velocities at different times, relieving the monotony that results from having every pedal change identical to every other pedal change.

I hope these comments are of use. I welcome any remarks or questions from anyone who wishes to discuss these matters further. Send me a private e-mail on this site I will respond promptly.

Wayne Stahnke

#256308 - 04/08/08 03:28 PM Re: LX player System Review
jeffoldbean Offline

Hi Wayne,
remember me?
jeffoldbean from england.
I would like to take up your offer of being able to ask you any questions.
But since I asked you previously and privately.
I thought it only right to ask you now.

Q1 "What is the Grapevine".
Q2 Who are its members who discuss secretly, with you about, ME.

Might I point out to you, Wayne. That I have a very small No. of ENGLISH, piano player friends (0).
I have gleaned a lot of usefull imformation from what you have written here, especially about your pedalling.
Thankyou.

jeffoldbean.

#256309 - 04/10/08 04:28 PM Re: LX player System Review
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Thank you Wayne for the direct response. It is always great to get the straight scope direct from the horse's mouth. Thanks also for explaining it in language we all can understand. Your work is amazing and frequently over my head.

#256310 - 04/12/08 05:03 AM Re: LX player System Review
Grandpianoman Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Oregon
First of all, welcome Mr.Stahnke to PianoWorld! I think it's great that you have joined us here.

As many of you may know, I have been posting about the LX for a long time. I was fortunate to have the very first production LX kit installed in my restored 1925 M&H 7ft RBB Grand along with a restored Ampico system. It's the only piano in the world to my knowledge that has both the LX and an Ampico roll playing mechanism. I am thrilled with the LX to say the least, and as I have stated before, I think it's the best playback system out there.

I belong to the Mechanical Music Digest (MMD). This was just posted in their latest bulletin, #080411. I think this posting sums up beautifully how people feel about the LX, especially the folks at AMICA.

Congratulations Mr.Stahnke and continued success!

Quote:
To: "Mechanical Music Digest"
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 22:27:28 -0700

Subject: LX Performance System

Last Saturday, April 5th, the Rocky Mountain Chapter of Amica had our
spring meeting at Chris Finger Pianos in Niwot, Colorado. We were
treated to a really great program by Chris Finger and Barth Story, who
have restored an 1895 Steinway model A grand piano and installed the
new Wayne Stahnke LX Live Performance player system. You can see the
system at this website: http://www.live-performance.com/steinway.html

The restoration of the piano is stunning, to say the least. The term
restoration doesn't do it justice. Yes, it's still a Steinway, but way
beyond any restored instrument you may have seen before. A whole new
keyboard is the icing on the cake. See it at the Finger Pianos web-
site: http://www.fingerpianos.com/newsite/index.shtml.

As Amicans, we were there with a keen ear to see and hear the com-
parison with our beloved Ampico and Duo-Art pianos. You should have
heard the oooh's and ahhh's! The performance was breathtaking to say
the very least. Some of our old standby rolls were more than faith-
fully reproduced along with a variety of other music. Several said
that it was better than any other reproducing piano they had ever
heard. Amica members are a tough crowd for the new modern electronic
reproducing players, but this one is the real deal.

There were twenty-five of us there, with members from England, Missou-
ri, Kansas, and Wyoming, besides Colorado, and we were all convinced of
its capability. With music from antique rolls and more modern record-
ings and well-known classical pieces and a cello and piano duet, we
heard some very fine renditions and were swept off our feet! If you
haven't heard this system, you owe yourself the pleasure of doing so
now. It's beyond belief.

Jere DeBacker
Denver, Colorado

#256311 - 04/16/08 05:00 PM Re: LX player System Review
Grandpianoman Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Oregon
I just finished listening AND watching some of the most beautiful reproduced piano music I have heard in a long time. It's the LX installed in a Shigeru Kawai SK-6 7ft Grand....what a piano, and the LX is simply put, fantastic! Bravi!!!

http://www.grandpianohaus.com/iklavier.asp

#256312 - 04/26/08 09:12 PM Re: LX player System Review
Majestic Piano Works Offline

Loc: Canoga Park, CA.
If I may add my two cents to this topic. I have spent the past 30+ years working and building a business involving reproducing pianos. The technology has evolved leaps and bounds and generally has always improved the performances of the current line of reproducing systems. As many technicans will tell you we have all strived to make pianos create true high quality reproduction. However the current MIDI technology has it's limitations. Let's face it, human touch is far more capable then 128 levels. The current line of player systems do a good job of playing pianos and most listeners are more then satified. The key here is evolution of this new high resolution playback. The performances of the LX are truly astounding. Currently, yes there are 25 CD's but all new technology starts somewhere. I have known Wayne Stanhke for over 20 years. His reputation speaks for itself and I am confident there will be more exciting piano performances up and coming. The LX is a welcome addition to the piano industry in general. Listen to a performance of the LX system yourself and you be the judge.

Majestic Piano Works

#256313 - 04/27/08 01:57 AM Re: LX player System Review
pianobroker Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Hollywood CA.
Hey Nick,what do you think of Gene's custom aluminum trapwork on the Harley Davidson tribute LX player piano. Unbelievable! I hope you're staying busy,you know we are! ;\)
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE

#256314 - 05/06/08 11:00 AM Re: LX player System Review
miker69 Offline

I am looking also to buy a yamaha disklavier. btw I am promoting to my "professional" friends the LX but for my use: karaoke, playing with other instruments, recording, sound distribution through an home automation system, learning I think the Yamaha will do the job. I tried to look on the internet to do something similar using the lx as a base but I have to say I will have to put accessories from way too many companies and I will have problem with maintainance.

1) Can you please confirm these differences between the m4 and the m4 pro because I could not find anything on the internet.

m4 pro
1) Servo controlled solenoids for better (and constant) attenuation and exact key position at any given moment (also adjusts for irregularities in action). This will provide more accurate response to velocities, timing,
letoff, and pedaling.
2) recording in *XP mode is 0 - 1024 as compared to 0 - 127 in regular mode
3) Does not ship with speakers or Tablet PC (can be ordered, retail is 6k)

in particular can you please confrim that the m4 pro is capable of reading and recording in XP mode?

is the m4 pro able to read the famous 25 hi-res albums from wayne

thanks for your answers?

miker

#256315 - 05/06/08 02:50 PM Re: LX player System Review
brenda100 Offline

How much does it cost to purchase and have installed?

#256316 - 05/09/08 01:31 AM Re: LX player System Review
Mark Fontana Offline

I've heard that the LX system typically costs around $7500 installed, but of course it depends on various factors. There is a website for this product at http://www.live-performance.com where you can get a referral to the nearest dealer.

(By the way, miker's Disklavier questions were answered in some of the other threads to which he cross-posted them.)

#256317 - 05/09/08 04:04 PM Re: LX player System Review
Prokey Offline

Loc: California
I am a Keyboardist/Piano Technician with over 55 years of piano/keyboard experience and 35 years
as a Piano Technician. Seeing the evolution of the player systems which very closely parallels the evolution of the personal computer the birth of
midi (musical instrument digital interface)was the real beginning.
The Yamaha Disklavier has been the standard of comparison and has been the best investment when you compare features/ playability and it happens to come exclusively on a Yamaha piano which is the other standard of comparison in the industry. Piano Disc with there innovative technology and versatile playing formats, including standard midi files founds it niche and became the obvious system of choice to install on a pre owned piano.
For the exceptional musician who demands excellence there has been the Bosendorfer SE
system and now the Disklavier Pro System which
unfortunately are not affordable to the masses.
Enter the next step in evolution of the player systems the LX. It embraces the newest technology, designed to remain state of the art
and at a very competitive price (Around $7500).
I have never heard a player system with such a
tremendous range of expression and musicality.
It goes way beyond midi velocity levels of 0-127.
The conventional piano's "soft pedal" reduces the
volume by 1/3 and produced about 2/3 normal volume
and wasn't missed when midi was implemented. Sit down with one of the greatest pianist in the world and have them demonstrate 127 different volumes for you? Imagine you are programming a midi controller where there are 8 zones in which each of the zones has a preset limit of volume for ppp to fff as a shelf.. The way the LX can jump between those registers is beyond the limit of human technique.This thing has Soul and there are few humans on this earth that have any conception of articulation and expression at this level let alone play it.
Stop,look and LISTEN to the LX and make your own comparison. The illusive state of the art system is now affordable.

Peace & Love thru MUSIC

Ron Dasaro
Professional Keyboard Services

#256318 - 05/10/08 01:05 AM Re: LX player System Review
QuincyBadger Offline

Loc: Quincy, IL
Is it correct that the LX system does not offer the ability to record your own playing? Would it be expected to have that ability down the road or is that feature not in high demand?

#256319 - 05/10/08 12:54 PM Re: LX player System Review
Mark Fontana Offline

The LX system is playback-only. The reality is that most people who own a player system don't play themselves, so the market for recording capability on an acoustic piano is rather small. High-res recording would add a great deal of cost, both for additional parts and for much more labor during installation to add optical shutter assemblies for every hammer and under every key. Only the Yamaha Disklavier, Boesendorfer CEUS and Stahnke SE system use this technology. It's never been available in a field-installable kit.

There are low-res (MIDI-based) recording systems that can be fitted to a piano, such as the MIDI9 PNOscan and Moog PianoBar, but a digital piano will probably produce better results at a similar price. Plus, the digital piano could be handy for late-night practicing etc.

#256320 - 05/10/08 01:15 PM Re: LX player System Review
KevinG Offline

Loc: S. Jersey
 Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Fontana:
The reality is that most people who own a player system don't play themselves, so the market for recording capability on an acoustic piano is rather small. [/b]
Is that really the case? I would imagine that were would be two large groups. One group, who, like you say, doesn't play, and wants the entertainment from a piano...and another large group composed of people who are players and *want* the ability to record themselves...

I find myself somewhere between those groups using the record and playback abilities to become a better player...

#256321 - 05/27/08 10:57 PM Re: LX player System Review
pianosxxi Offline

Loc: Southern California
To Mr. Wayne Stahnke:

I would like to personally thank you for your great contribution in sound reproduction of the piano by creating Live Performance LX system.

At last, everyone can experience a real expression of the piano playing right in front of you. I have long waited for such an innovation. In my opinion, LX system can easily compete with any professional pianist. More than it, in many ways it has proven to be more advanced than the average piano player. The only advantage that the player can have is when he moves to a destructive (fortissimo, super-powerful) mode as he plays the instrument and he himself plays differently every time. This can be easily balanced.

By creating a holographic image of the piano player sitting on the bench in front of the piano during performance, we complete the full impression of live performance. At my Piano Solutions XXI high-tech restoration facility, I have installed a Live Performance LX player system on my custom made piano tribute to Harley Davidson. The system capabilities came to be above my expectations!

All the best to you and great success!

PIANO SOLUTIONS XXI
Exclusive Piano Restoration, Custom Piano Design and Sales
http://www.pianosxxi.com | http://www.custompianodesign.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
139 registered (antony, ando, Almaviva, accordeur, Adam Coleman, 44 invisible), 1441 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74236 Members
42 Forums
153557 Topics
2250518 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Supporting young student
by Cardinal201
30 minutes 46 seconds ago
The Search
by mlpiano88
Today at 07:25 PM
Polyphony with Polyphonist - Installment 1
by Polyphonist
Today at 06:51 PM
Help dating old Mcphail Upright Piano
by joe513
Today at 06:39 PM
OT: John Passion
by wimpiano
Today at 04:33 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission