Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
109 registered (acollins, Auver, aceydawg, accordeur, 35 invisible), 1558 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#146557 - 04/22/08 02:53 PM Online piano bluebook
ScottM Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm sure most or all of you have run across the piano bluebook on the web. I think it's really funny because every piano maker's description is dripping with compliments and hyperbole. I'm sure that many companies made good pianos, but to believe the bluebook is to believe that each and every one of them produced pianos without equal in the world. I've never seen so many superlatives anywhere. I know a lot of the language comes straight from ancient marketing materials or trade publications.

Has anyone else found this pretty funny? Also, is there a more objective description of historical makes and their relative advantages and disadvantages somewhere?

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#146558 - 04/22/08 03:46 PM Re: Online piano bluebook
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Hi Scott,

You make a good point. The problem is that there are relatively few free sources, online or otherwise, where consumers can get any information at all, accurate or not, about the various piano makes and models. The other option is to buy “The Piano Book” and the supplements, which are also not without controversy.

In my view, the “Bluebook of Pianos”, although not perfect, is better than nothing.

Best regards,

Rickster

#146559 - 04/22/08 04:00 PM Re: Online piano bluebook
Rich Galassini Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Rickster,

While I agree that information is a good thing, incorrect information does not help anyone. I haven't visited the website in several months, but the last time I was there, the "bluebook" had lots of incorrect information and prices.
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
www.cunninghampiano.com

#146560 - 04/22/08 04:30 PM Re: Online piano bluebook
ScottM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Actually, I should have "practically every piano maker's description". There are some that have little or nothing to say, and lots of them have so little information in what IS there that it's really quite useless. Others give good background.

I ran across one that claimed the manufacturer had a "perfectly equipped shop". Well, that's nice to know, but were the pianos any good? I can buy a lot of tools and hang them on a wall, too.

#146561 - 04/22/08 04:40 PM Re: Online piano bluebook
FogVilleLad Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
Larry Fine's, The Annual Supplement To The Piano Book in downloadable PDF format is only $17 here.

#146562 - 04/22/08 05:11 PM Re: Online piano bluebook
ScottM Offline
500 Post Club Member

It looks like Fine's book is only for currently made brands. I'm more interested in defunct makes. Still, this resource looks good. Are there really 2500 brands still in production as he claims?? I would have thought more like 500 to 800 different brands are currently made.

#146563 - 04/22/08 06:26 PM Re: Online piano bluebook
Rickster Offline

Rich:
 Quote:
Rickster,

While I agree that information is a good thing, incorrect information does not help anyone. I haven't visited the website in several months, but the last time I was there, the "bluebook" had lots of incorrect information and prices.
Good point, Rich. That brings up another question; how do consumers know whether or not the information on TBBP web site is incorrect? Who is the authority to say for sure if the information is correct or not?

Is “The piano Book“the only game in town? How accurate is it?

Since I have taken an interest in learning to play the piano and pianos in general, I can say that I never realized that pianos could be such a controversial subject. It seems that brand bias, prejudice, mis-information, inaccurate information and deliberately false information abound.

Is the truth out there?

Best regards,

Rickter

#146564 - 04/22/08 06:45 PM Re: Online piano bluebook
teclado Offline

I noticed that the prices the online piano bluebook lists for new pianos is practically verbatim from Fine's annual supplement. If the both used the same formula on the same set of data they would get the same answer, but what are the chances of that?

Here is the link I used:
http://www.bluebookofpianos.com/prices/

#146565 - 04/22/08 06:46 PM Re: Online piano bluebook
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: torrance, CA
Saying that bluebookofpianos.com price information is incorrect suggests that there is something correct which can be used to prove that it (bluebook) is incorrect. What is that something?

The fact is there is no standard. Selling prices are more a function of the individual retailer and the individual customer. Bluebook is free, accepts no advertising, and tries to update when info is available. It aint perfect, but a few months ago it became much more consitent and like Rickster says, it's better than nothing. The amusing historical information is all culled from promotional materials of the older makers. It's funny because it's self-serving and also because it references awards, medals and the like from 100 years ago.

#146566 - 04/22/08 08:52 PM Re: Online piano bluebook
fiddlefixer Offline

Loc: Detroit Lakes,MN
I took the link to the Blue Book and noticed the same thing as did teclado. The price and list, at least on the four different makes I looked at, appears to be an exact copy of the 2007-2008 supplement to "The Piano Book." But, I did also note that the Blue Book doesn't list the pianos from the Sejung line: Falcone, Hobart Cable, and others.

#146567 - 04/22/08 09:19 PM Re: Online piano bluebook
kenny Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottM:
It looks like Fine's book is only for currently made brands. I'm more interested in defunct makes. Still, this resource looks good. Are there really 2500 brands still in production as he claims?? I would have thought more like 500 to 800 different brands are currently made. [/b]
I have the 3rd edition, green cover, and the 4th edition, red cover, Piano Books and the red cover 07/08 supplement.

Where does Fine claim 2500 brands are still in production?
Which edition?
What page?

#146568 - 04/22/08 09:21 PM Re: Online piano bluebook
Steve Cohen Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
 Quote:
Originally posted by turandot:
Saying that bluebookofpianos.com price information is incorrect suggests that there is something correct which can be used to prove that it (bluebook) is incorrect. What is that something? [/b]
What about those dealers who can compare thier actual wholesale prices paid to the prices shown in price guides.

Having done so I can say that most prices shown online are not accurate. The Piano Book comes closest when using his prices and guidelines.

This is not to say that his prices ARE acurate, only that they seem to me to provide the best estimate of the range to expect in most markets.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#146569 - 04/22/08 10:09 PM Re: Online piano bluebook
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

from Steve Cohen
 Quote:
What about those dealers who can compare thier actual wholesale prices paid to the prices shown in price guides.

Having done so I can say that most prices shown online are not accurate. The Piano Book comes closest when using his prices and guidelines.

This is not to say that his prices ARE accurate, only that they seem to me to provide the best estimate of the range to expect in most markets.
Well sure, Steve. There's no question that the dealer is in the know and the customer is in the dark. Only the dealer really knows his true costs and what he is agreeable to receiving for the particular piano, regardless of what Fine and/or bluebook say. Huge price differences between dealers cannot be taken into account by any pricing service.

#146570 - 04/23/08 06:36 AM Re: Online piano bluebook
Rich Galassini Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
OK,

I see we are concentrating on pricing, which was an add-on to my first statement:
 Quote:
I haven't visited the website in several months, but the last time I was there, the "bluebook" had lots of incorrect information and prices.
My quote meant that there were informational mistakes in TBBP site... also pricing misinformation.

Now that Anscott no longer prints retail pricing, Larry is the best source available. Unfortunately, pricing changes over the year with some brands and that cannot be reflected in a "once published" yearly guide. But it appears that TBBP does nothing better. (although they could in a website format)It looks like they now simply "lift" Larry's pricing information.
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
www.cunninghampiano.com

#146571 - 04/23/08 07:39 AM Re: Online piano bluebook
Piano*Dad Online   content

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Isn't that a copyright violation?
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#146572 - 04/23/08 08:03 AM Re: Online piano bluebook
Rickster Offline

Quote:
Piano*Dad: Isn't that a copyright violation?
It seems that “all is fair in love, war, and the piano business”. Also, I’m certainly no authority on intellectual property rights, but it seems to me that Mr. Fine obtained (“lifted”, if you will) the pricing information from other sources himself. If the owner/operator of TBBP site did use the pricing info directly from TPB, he should site the source properly.

Again, this topic seems to illustrate the cloak and dagger secrecy that is prevalent in the piano business \:D .

Best regards,

Rickster

#146573 - 04/23/08 10:05 AM Re: Online piano bluebook
ScottM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Kenny, this is text directly from the sales site for Larry Fine's book.

"Supplying list prices for more than 2,500 currently made piano brands and models, as well as advice on how to estimate actual street prices to help negotiate the lowest possible price, this annual complement to The Piano Book offers the information necessary to differentiate between a good deal and a great deal when buying a piano."

I have to believe it came from the publisher. If it is not correct they have a responsibility to correct it, or Mr. Fine does. I cannot believe there are 2500 brands and models currently made. It simply defies belief. At best, by throwing "models" in there it may come close, but even then 2500 seems pretty high.

I have never seen the pricing data online and have no opinion about it. I am concerned with the descriptions for these old and current companies.

#146574 - 04/23/08 10:44 AM Re: Online piano bluebook
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

The key phrase is pianos brands and models. Think of all the different models from all the manufacturers. Then factor in different prices and different stock numbers for every wood finish. Things add up quickly. Just scroll down the complete price listings on bluebook to get a sense it.

#146575 - 04/23/08 11:04 AM Re: Online piano bluebook
ellykay Offline

Loc: North-Central West Virginia
FWIW

When I purchased our Boston GP-163, the Blue Book was (and is) within a very few $$ of what we actually paid.

EllyKay

#1413611 - 04/08/10 02:11 PM Re: Online piano bluebook [Re: FogVilleLad]
LoudRick Offline

Larry Fine was the name of one of the original Three Stooges. I wonder if this is one of his relatives. But this conversation makes some good points. It's quite easy to call up your local piano dealer, have him check the Pierce Piano Atlas, only to find that your brand of piano, especially pre-1860 pianos and pianofortes isn't even listed, much less the serial numbers. The Europe Piano Atlas is no better. Just keep searching. I ended up on a genealogy page to find Thomas Loud of London. I found the dates his shop was at the address on the pianoforte I acquired, and now can date my pianoforte between 1807 and 1811. As far as appraisals, you have to have a professional inspect and evaluate the instrument, and that applies to any piano.

#1413620 - 04/08/10 02:25 PM Re: Online piano bluebook [Re: LoudRick]

Now Piano Buyer provides a good, free source for pricing. Also, our searchable database (also free) contains virtually every model and finish made today. It has over 3000 listings that can be searched based on price range, make, size, finish, style, key word, and more.

Currently over 2,500 searches are performed there each month.

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#1413712 - 04/08/10 05:18 PM Re: Online piano bluebook [Re: Steve Cohen]
Rickster Offline

Wow, I went back and read some of my posts from this older thread and didn’t realize that I could be so feisty. I’m really not like that in person! (Okay, maybe now and then grin)

Anyway, good point about the free edition of The Piano Book online now, Steve. It was not at the time this thread was initially active.

You are very good at being a consultant and promoter of the Piano Book! I applaud you!!

Take care,

Rick

#1413726 - 04/08/10 05:42 PM Re: Online piano bluebook [Re: Rickster]

Me Promote?

Piano Buyer?

Never. wink

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Roland PHA3 action, graded?
by stamkorg
11/27/14 02:54 PM
Hello all
by Jytte
11/27/14 02:10 PM
Happy Thanksgiving
by JoelW
11/27/14 01:12 PM
HAS ANYONE EVER PLAYED THIS?
by LuisFelix
11/27/14 12:29 PM
Piano evening at my teachers house
by Peter071
11/27/14 10:04 AM
Forum Stats
77067 Members
42 Forums
159399 Topics
2341529 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission