Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#155627 - 04/26/08 03:15 PM Piano Teachers' knowledge of piano innards / brands / need to know to - etc
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
I confess.

As a music educator since teenage years, I had not been exposed to much of the piano innards and workings, and different brands and what they had to offer to a pianist.

Sure I knew a little about action, hammers/dampers/pedals, and somewhat about the difference of uprights and grands. I taught at the local Baldwin Piano and Organ studios and was somewhat versatile in pop music as well as classically trained on both.

But I really didn't know much when it came to pianos, other than playing. For instance -

What makes a good piano the best, and what other brands other than Baldwin, Yamaha, Kawaii, and of course Steinways were available? I had barely heard of Bosies and Bechsteins. They were 'up there' in the land of mucho money and my one time playing of them left me bewildered as to why and what was the difference? Did I hear the difference? Yes. But didn't know the why of it.

I have come a long way since then. Mostly recently and mostly due to the internet, this forum, and my travels exploring and learning. Once I was about to spend more money on 'the piano to last me a lifetime' than I did on my first home purchase, I listened, learned, and studied.

But that is not the point.

Craigen in a recent post, mentioned that piano teachers don't know how to teach about the difference in a piano's touch and repetition concerning an upright and a grand.

Rather than getting defensive (as a teacher) and uptight about this...I reflected and thought - you are so right. Many pianos teachers teach music - NOT the instrument. And I thought that we should have a thread on what can be done about this.

So, here it is.

How can we promote a change?

- What suggestions might you have to help educate the many piano teachers out there as they teach their flock?

- Might there be piano techs willing to speak at local Piano Teacher's Guilds? And how could we promote this?

- Might there be more education when you purchase a piano?

- Might their be courses at the college level to teach about the piano/the instrument?

- Could piano manufacturers offer more educational programs?

- Could the local piano stores offer more programs?

Do teachers even explore the insides of the piano during some lessons? (I always used make up lessons to do so) Could something like this be part of the standard curriculum?

I will probably also post this on the Teachers Forum and on the Techicians Forum but will refer to this thread as the mother thread - hoping that we might get some ideas to share with the teachers / techs / manufacturers / pianists / students / buyers in one thread.

Always dreaming, the lilylady

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#155628 - 04/26/08 03:25 PM Re: Piano Teachers' knowledge of piano innards / brands / need to know to - etc
whippen boy Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
A very good point!

I had the same experience - I was so focused on the music and the technique, that I was completely uninterested in the instrument itself; in retrospect, that's pretty bizarre!

When I studied organ, the instrument demanded as much of my attention as the technique and the repertoire. I became fascinated with that aspect to the point that I worked for an organbuilder.

Years later when it came time to buy a piano (the Grotrian) I had come full circle, and was ready to be interested in the instrument itself. Pianists would do well to learn a bit more about their instrument - it should start with piano teachers.

#155629 - 04/26/08 05:10 PM Re: Piano Teachers' knowledge of piano innards / brands / need to know to - etc
schwammerl Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Belgium
lilylady,

I am afraid the question you are raising is of all times and all continents.

I think this should be tackled really at the basis: should become part of the eductaion programs at music schools and music academies.

I once contributed in a thread on the 'tuners-technicians forum' with the title: 'When the customer knows more that the tech...".

I just quote a few things I said there.
 Quote:
Where I live music schools/academies pay little of no attention in their educational programms to how a piano really works
 Quote:
* Reading an article by J. Gedan on piano-e-forte.de -"Das Spielwerk von Pianos und Flügeln", he says on page two when talking about pianists:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ihr Instrument ist ihnen eine "Black Box", der man vorn auf die Tasten drückt, damit hinten Musik herauskommt
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

; freely translated: "For them their instrument is like a black box, when pressing keys at the front, music comes out at the back"

* To further illustrate the lack of knowledge by piano professionals the same author quotes from a book written by Heinrich Neuhaus (famous pianist and pedagogist, teacher of Sjatoslav Richter and Emil Gilels) - "Die Kunst des KLavierspiels":

quote:
Die Tasten bewegen sich ausserordentlich leicht: es genügt ein wenig mehr als das Gewicht einer Streichholzschachtel, um eine Saite zum Schwingen zu bringen

; freely translated: "the keys are moving in a very light manner: one merely needs a bit more than the weight of a match to get a string vibrating".
The author (J. Gedan) comments:

quote:
Nun ist allerdings "ein wenig mehr als das Gewicht einer Steichholzschachtel" keine sehr genaue Formel. Aber wer hätte gedacht, das der wahre Wert bei etwas 15 Streichholzschachtel liegt?

; freely translated: " just a bit more than the weight of a match" is not excactly what one would call an accurate description. But who would have thought the real value is about 15 times the weight of a match?"

* J. Gedan even goes further when quoting Alfred Brendel from "Nachdenken über Musik":

quote:
Es gibt heute unvergleichlich mehr passable Pianisten als Klaviertechniker..[..]Könnte man nur einigen Klavierspielern begreiflich machen das sie als Klaviermaechaniker für die Musik von grösseren Nutzen wären!;

; freely translated: "There are today many more quite good pianist than there are pianotechnicians..[..]Could one only make clear to just a few pianists that if they would become pianotechnicians, they could contribute a lot more to music!"
The author interprets Brendel's statement as "that pianists lack technical knwoledge on their instrument whereas pianotechnicians often not have enough pianistical (music) experience
schwammerl.

#155630 - 04/26/08 08:56 PM Re: Piano Teachers' knowledge of piano innards / brands / need to know to - etc
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

For years my wife Jennifer and I have conducted teacher symposia (luncheons) to expose the local teachers to what is new in the market place, how pianos work, and how to base their recommendations to their students, and why they should be helping their students select pianos. Most have found our presentations educational and helpful.

We have spoken at MTA meetings and conventions. Manufacturers frequently display and present at MTA conventions.

Sadly, many teachers believe they are too busy to concern themselves with learning what we believe they need to know. That is fine as long as they stay out of advising their students. If they want to be involved in the process of their students' piano selections, then they bear a responsibility to educate themselves on the subject matter at hand.

Weekly we are exposed to teachers who embarass themselves in front of their students in their attempt to guide purchases when they are clueless to how a piano works and what is available. We hear them recommending brands that are defunct. We hear them recommending pianos way beyond the budgets of their students' families. We hear them recommending pianos that are way beyond the space limitations of their students. Often their discussions of materials, construction, and inner workings are hugely incorrect and damaging to the ability to make an informed decision.

To many families of students, the teacher is the one to turn to for "professional" and "unbiased" advice on piano selection. Let's get these "advisors" up to speed.

#155631 - 04/29/08 01:26 PM Re: Piano Teachers' knowledge of piano innards / brands / need to know to - etc
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
Hello all,

Good points Marty. I am often amazed at how frequently I get a call from a music teacher asking me questions soliciting free advise from me so that they can then go back out and look at a piano offering their own advice to the parents trying to make themselves look as if they know what they're doing when in fact, they don't.

In Lily's post in the tech forum, I mentioned that most customers have this expectation that musicians are the ones to ask the questions too. Proof is in the constant postings in the piano forum asking musicians questions on what should I buy, what piano is better verses those in the tech forum asking us instead. A lot more are posted in the piano forum about it. \:\) They really do think all musicians know more than piano technicians because they are master piano players I guess. It appears that the majority of musicians, (maybe I'm wrong) want to also appear as being knowledgable as well?
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#155632 - 05/19/08 03:13 PM Re: Piano Teachers' knowledge of piano innards / brands / need to know to - etc
alglasser Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
I really enjoyed reading this post and the replies, especially the reference to the black box where music comes out of. I taught piano for about 30 years privately until recent health had me close my studio (I was also a school teacher but am now retired). Anyway, I always made it a practice to show my students the "guts" of a piano and how they work. More recently, a friend who is a wonderful fellow/piano technician, sent me a sample action that I used to demonstrate in my classroom as well as in my studio, what the "action" is all about and how it translates the movement of the hand to the tone. The kids found this very interesting, and especially enjoyed seeing how the pedals worked and how they "wove their magic". I do believe that an understanding of the mechanics of the instrument improves their playing.

I have just reopened my studio to adult students (I have 2 at the moment) and their second lesson was on the topics of touch/tone/action and pedalling, including watching the workings inside an upright and grand. The adults really showed an understanding and I expect that this will be helpful as we work hard to turning "playing" into "making music". Piano is indeed more than just the "black box".

RI AL

#155633 - 05/19/08 03:14 PM Re: Piano Teachers' knowledge of piano innards / brands / need to know to - etc
alglasser Offline

I really enjoyed reading this post and the replies, especially the reference to the black box where music comes out of. I taught piano for about 30 years privately until recent health had me close my studio (I was also a school teacher but am now retired). Anyway, I always made it a practice to show my students the "guts" of a piano and how they work. More recently, a friend who is a wonderful fellow/piano technician, sent me a sample action that I used to demonstrate in my classroom as well as in my studio, what the "action" is all about and how it translates the movement of the hand to the tone. The kids found this very interesting, and especially enjoyed seeing how the pedals worked and how they "wove their magic". I do believe that an understanding of the mechanics of the instrument improves their playing.

I have just reopened my studio to adult students (I have 2 at the moment) and their second lesson was on the topics of touch/tone/action and pedalling, including watching the workings inside an upright and grand. The adults really showed an understanding and I expect that this will be helpful as we work hard to turning "playing" into "making music". Piano is indeed more than just the "black box".

RI AL

#155634 - 05/19/08 03:15 PM Re: Piano Teachers' knowledge of piano innards / brands / need to know to - etc
alglasser Offline

RI AL

#155635 - 05/19/08 03:59 PM Re: Piano Teachers' knowledge of piano innards / brands / need to know to - etc
kenny Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I try to remember to encourage all teachers I meet to hang out here.

Also, there is a philosophy that some teachers have that they try to impart to their students..
Don't complain about the piano! Just make the best of it![/b]

There is good reason for this.
Pianists can't carry their piano around.
They will be stuck performing on poor or poorly prepared pianos and have to not be tripped up by this.

This philosophy is quite different from the pianoworld way, in which we encourage all pianos to get regular tuning voicing and regulation from the best tech possible.

#155636 - 05/19/08 06:16 PM Re: Piano Teachers' knowledge of piano innards / brands / need to know to - etc
WhoDwaldi Offline

1. Dealers resent when teachers veto a sale.

2. Teachers resent when dealers try to sell a student a piano the teacher wouldn’t want to have himself. Yet . . .

3. Teachers resent that students pound the teacher’s piano into junk, then go home and do not practice.

4. Nobody wants to sit in a seminar that tells you “here are all the mistakes you made with your purchase, now help others.”

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
WHy the topic about moderator's ban is closed ?
by Olek
10/24/14 08:41 PM
Piano Rankings
by phantomFive
10/24/14 07:59 PM
Casinitaly... No use...
by alfredo capurso
10/24/14 05:49 PM
What Piece Is This?
by Works1
10/24/14 03:43 PM
Suites Georg Bhm
by Johan B
10/24/14 03:40 PM
Who's Online
126 registered (A Guy, accordeur, 36251, alfredo capurso, 40 invisible), 1231 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76643 Members
42 Forums
158477 Topics
2327361 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission