Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#250579 - 01/08/09 04:14 PM Acoustic foam
pno Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: ♪oron♪o, on♪ario, canada...
Hi there,

I live in a small apartment. My grand sits in the living room taking up about 1/3 of the area. I would like to be able to play it with lid full open at fff volume anytime of the day and night while having not to bother my neighbour. I also want to improve the acoustics of the room so I can endure hours of practice without hurting my ears.

I am considering getting these acoustic foams called Sonex acoustical foam. Has anyone tried them? Are they just like big pieces of sponge? Is it recommended to surround the piano with a few pieces of that to achieve the desired effect?

Thanks
PNO

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#250580 - 01/08/09 04:24 PM Re: Acoustic foam
guest1013 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

You have two different issues. The Sonex foam should work to improve the sound within the room. You will need to check with Sonex because they have a variety of products to address soundproofing, maybe another type of foam.
I found this site helpful for explaining soundproofing. esoundproof
Sonex offers additional drywall and Decibel Drop to address soundproofing, or other types of industrial foam, or curtains.

#250581 - 01/08/09 05:09 PM Re: Acoustic foam
pno Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks guest! Sonex seems to be cheaper than some other alternatives but I want to make sure I am not paying for pieces of household sponge.

#250582 - 01/08/09 05:18 PM Re: Acoustic foam
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: torrance, CA
I've used products from this company to deaden sound and cope with poor room acoustics.

http://stores.ebay.com/Foam-Factory-Inc

One time I got a remnant big enough to cut and fit under a grand. It cost about $5 plus shipping. \:\) Another time I used a panel of eggcrate foam and spray-glued it to a wall behind a vertical. I don't know if this stuff is the ideal medium, but it's cheap and it served my purpose.

The way you describe your wishes -- lid open playing at fff without disturbing neighbors in adjoining apartments -- sounds impossible to me.

#250583 - 01/08/09 05:59 PM Re: Acoustic foam
guest1013 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

pno, if budget is a concern, definitely try other methods. There are lots of discussions about rugs, wall coverings, blankets, pillows, for reducing sound, as well as improving the room's acoustics and I have used these methods, I haven't pulled the trigger to purchase the professional acoustic products yet. Here is another interesting discussion, it suggests looking for scraps and remnants Sonex or Auralex for smaller projects to save on expense. portable sound booth

To not bother the neighbor, you have to consider how sound travels through the floor and walls, windows, door, ventilation? etc. Your goal sounds very difficult, possible expensive for professional products if not impossible because of shared ventilation.

#250584 - 01/09/09 10:40 AM Re: Acoustic foam
pno Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Turandot & guest1013,

Thanks for the sites! I know it's not easy but I think it is still doable in my case, maybe not fff but probably f at night, fff in day time. The goal is to be able to play/practice most regular pieces freely without having to worry about volume being too loud for neighbours.

A question regard those "foam" that you have: are they just made of the same stuff as household sponge?

#250585 - 01/09/09 11:00 AM Re: Acoustic foam
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
Hi pno,

I'm inclined to believe you're asking too much. I built a room in my basement which is attached to the rest of the house only at the foundation. This room has two layers of 5/8" sheetrock on both sides (inside and outside). There is insulation within the framing. When in that room I can still hear my grand piano (which is directly above) being played mezzoforte. It's fairly quiet, but still audible. It wouldn't bother me if I was watching TV, but I wouldn't be able to fall asleep in there with someone playing the piano.

#250586 - 01/09/09 11:46 AM Re: Acoustic foam
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Pno,

The cell structure of 'soundproofing foam' is different from that of a household sponge. The type of baffle design is a determining factor as well.

I think for your particular needs you should check out DJ forums. Your problem is one that DJ's deal with regularly in finding ways to practice at home. You could also learn a lot from wikipedia articles on interior sound baffle
design

The material is usually called soundPROOFing foam, but realistically, it is more for mitigating loud sound and controlling bad room acoustics.

Do you have neighbors above? below? on two sides?

#250587 - 01/09/09 04:23 PM Re: Acoustic foam
pno Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Steve,

I know it is hard, but I will try. \:D

Turandot,

Mine is a corner unit. I have only one neighbour that shares the same wall with my unit. It is an 8" thick solid poured concrete wall. I have never heard any noise coming through that wall from my neighbour. So I assume the wall is not a concern. No neighbour below. It is a shop and a mechanical room. Above my piano is my bedroom. So my upper neighbour is 2 levels above my piano.

The only place that I know for sure is a problem is the main door. Noise can go out through the main door to the hallway then enter other units through their doors. I live at the end of the hallway. So the no. of affected neighbours is limited. As long as I can keep the noise in the hallway under control outside my front door, my neighbour should be fine.

#250588 - 01/09/09 07:10 PM Re: Acoustic foam
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Pno,

It's impractical to seal up the main door of course. \:D You need the airspace around it for opening and closing. So let's assume that you need some kind of sound barricade that can be moved around. The barricade should be taller and wider than the doorframe. If the door is hollow-core, sound will be travelling through it as well as around it. Even if it's solid core, it won't be as effective as that 8" poured concrete wall you described.

I would suggest a three-panel folding room divider kind of thing. You might find a tacky old one in a thrift shop. You could cover the surface on one side with 12X12 self-stick acoustic foam tiles or cut larger panels to fit and spray-glue them. If you're handy with woodworking, you could make your own folding screen with 1 X 2 X 8' pine boards and some hinges.

I'd use the screen one of two ways: whichever worked out best

a) as a sound-collector placed next to the open facing side of the grand

b) as a panel to completely cover the main door area when the need arises

#250589 - 01/10/09 09:53 AM Re: Acoustic foam
pno Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Turandot,

Thanks for your suggestions! I have more or less the same line of thought - a movable set of self standing acoustic panels so I can try different configurations. I am searching for the most effective acoustic panel to achieve this and I am going to check out your sites. Thanks!

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
147 registered (accordeur, 88 Fingers Jeff, 36251, aesop, 41 invisible), 1646 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75901 Members
42 Forums
156864 Topics
2304962 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
To Continue or Not To Continue
by ZPomeroy
38 minutes 25 seconds ago
Use Audacity to SEE, HEAR, and MEASURE beats.
by Mark Cerisano, RPT
Today at 12:55 PM
Any interest in reviving the Denver area piano group?
by Colin Dunn
Today at 11:52 AM
Masterclass etiquette doubt
by Francisco Scalco
Today at 10:21 AM
Using the drum tracks on KAWAI MP6 piano
by Dr Jazz
Today at 08:39 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission