2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Aylin, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, 6 invisible), 1,336 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#342973 09/29/08 07:46 AM
OP Offline
Life is Grand, Part 2
Link to Part 1: http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/23978.html

It didn’t take long to find a few local U3 candidates on Craig’s list. The next week, I went to see one of them, it was 32 years old, but in good condition. The owner had the piano voiced so that it had a warmer tone than the new U3’s I had seen, I liked that, but somehow the sound just wasn’t satisfying. I couldn’t get the lovely sound of a Grand piano out of my head. There had to be better uprights out there. The Kawai dealer had not yet been visited so I soon made the trek to Littleton, CO to visit Baker Pianos and see their uprights. They had both Kawai and Hailun uprights. The Kawai was very nice but I soon found myself drifting over to the Grands. The store owner, Bob Baker, demo’d Hailun, Young Chang, Kawai RX series of different sizes and, finally, the Shigerus. As you might guess, the Shigerus were obviously superior and, in fact, were the best that these middle aged ears had yet heard. The desire for one of these jewels swelled within me.

I told Bob of my dilemma, that my heart and ears wanted a grand but it had to go in my office and I could only accommodate an upright. “Are you sure about that”, he asked? “Have you actually taken some measurements to see if a small grand would fit”. Well, no, I hadn’t actually measured. I tried to visualize the room and suddenly realized that a small grand would likely fit. Why didn’t I think of this before? Well, the reason is that a friend of mine warned me about putting “too much” piano in that room, that it would overpower the room. Because of this a grand piano had not been considered for the office. So what about the problem of overpowering the room? I decided right then that the room could be treated with acoustic panels to tame the grand; what ever it took, it would be done.

On my way home I stopped at Onofrio Piano Company in Denver to see what they carried. All they seemed to have was inexpensive Chinese pianos. None of which excited me in the least. I told the salesperson, Nancy, as much and she invited me to follow her. We went up a set of stairs and through a door that looked like the entry into the restroom, but inside was a piano lovers playground. A restored Steinway, Mason and Hamlin A, numerous Bosendorfers and to my surprise, Estonias. I had read much about them here on the PW forum and was eager to try one. The L168 was the main focus because of the concern about fitting it into my office. This piano is very nice; it has a full rich sound, though brighter than the Shigeru Kawais. The bass is decent for a piano of this size but not exceptional. The feel is good.

I was getting excited about the idea that we might be able to own a grand piano. I also tried the M&H model A, too bright, and for giggles tried a few Bosendorfers, including a concert grand. I spent very little time on this one because it would distort reality. It was a dreamy experience.
Nancy made the visit here extremely enjoyable with her enthusiasm and vigor. She is also very skilled on the piano.

My mood was grand after leaving Onofrio’s and Nancy had sent me off with a piano template to see how a Grand piano would fit in the office.
When my wife returned home from work that evening the piano template was laid out on the floor of the office. Her first response to this scheme of mine, before I could say anything was simply this… “I think it works better along the other wall.”
I must tell you that my wife has never been a hard sell. We usually share interest in most things and enjoy the same hobbies; but my spirits soared at her response.
We played around with the template and realized that the room would accommodate even a 7’ piano, but we both agreed that 7’ would be too much for this small room, likely overpowering it even with acoustic treatment. We would focus on models in the 6’-6’4 range.

Now it was time to involve my wonderful spouse in the hunt.
I discovered that the Baker Pianos had another location in Boulder, CO only 3 blocks from my wife’s office. We agreed to meet there as soon as she got off work the next day. I left work before our scheduled meeting at Baker’s and revisited Natural Piano Center, the first dealer visited when looking for a Yamaha digital. The different Yamaha Grands were tried but they no longer appealed to me. I found them brighter than before and lacking in warmth that I now found desirable. My sense of what sounds right had changed drastically during this piano search. Before leaving I tried the Petrof III again, the piano that I so disliked the first time here. It was instant infatuation with the Petrof. The sound was warm and full, the bass decent for a piano of this size, the touch was superb. I tried playing a piece of music that I had been struggling with on the digital and it just seemed flow out of my fingers with ease. The salesman, Tom, was a skilled pianist and he played the Petrof for me. The sound was luscious and sent waves of pleasure through my body.

Much time was spent with this piano and a single shortcoming was discovered. While in general the sound of this piano was lovely, it seemed to lack authority. When you played a chord with power, it failed to provide the kind of powerful attack you would expect. Tom thought that the piano could be voiced/regulated to improve this. The sound and feel were so good that I was willing to live with this shortcoming even if it couldn’t be changed much. Also, I suspected that once in our home the sound would be more powerful than it appeared to be in this large showroom.
At this point it became obvious that I was going to be late for my appointment with my wife at Baker Pianos, I called her to tell her so, I also told her that I was in love.

At Baker Pianos in Boulder they had Chinese pianos and the RX series Kawais, no Shigerus. About the only piano in there that appealed to us at all was the RX 3 but frankly it just didn’t excite us. While it sounded nice, something was missing. Since their inventory consisted primarily of smaller pianos, it's obvious that is what sells the most here and the salesman focused on demoing those. At this point I don’t think that we made it clear to him where we wanted to go with this search and it was obvious that my wife was getting a little impatient. Finally she told him with a smile “If we’re going to get a grand piano, we’re going to get a GRAND piano!”
Damn, I love this woman….

Link to Part 3- http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/23993.html

August Forster 215
#342974 09/29/08 09:43 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
This is fun, following your story. And so many of us will be relating....

Price, size, uprights, then grands - small, then larger!

Things we discover that we like, what we don't like, how we grow 'into' certain pianos.

Can't wait for part 3 and btw, is there a conclusion? LOL!

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
#342975 09/29/08 09:50 AM
OP Offline
lilylady,
I wrote this because I so enjoyed the shopping stories posted here by other forum members. The shopping stories were actually very helpful in my own search, in addition to being entertaining. I suspect that piano dealers can learn a lot about how the customer sees things from these stories.

Yes, there will be a conclusion... eventually. :rolleyes:
kadiddle

August Forster 215
#342976 09/29/08 10:07 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hey kadiddle,

We love a piano hunt story here on PW, don't keep us waiting to long for part 3 laugh

Can't wait.

Greetz,
Patrick

Schimmel Konzert 189 Tradition
#342977 09/29/08 10:28 AM
I love your story especially since it's in my neck of the woods.

#342978 09/29/08 01:00 PM
OP Offline
Libby,
Haven't been down to Springs to shop pianos. As for Baker pianos, see the first and last paragraphs above in part 2.
These are good people and I enjoyed shopping at both of their stores. The Littleton(south Denver) location has MUCH more inventory than the Boulder location.
Bob Baker has a nice concert room at the Littleton location and brings in some real talent to play concerts there. He even subsidizes the cost to keep ticket prices low.
kadiddle

August Forster 215
#342979 09/29/08 03:46 PM
kadiddle, what a great story you're telling! We can't wait for the next part.

Edit: Since I opened the browser tab with part 2 in it, you posted part 3. Good - more to read!

#342980 09/29/08 09:45 PM
I agree about Bob, he's a class act and his family are always so helpful. You never get hounded and they are willing to graciously provide any information without you feeling pressured to buy.

I loved his Shigeru's!!!

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission