Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#741172 - 10/02/04 07:04 PM FREE GRAND PIANO GIVE AWAY!
Requiem Aeternam Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
The title was designed to attract attention, now that you're all here...

So I've been thinking...in light of all the attention the piano world CD has been getting, why don't we organize some sort of fund raiser to give one lucky winner on these boards a FREE PIANO?

I just want to run the idea by, if no one likes it oh well but, if it stirs the imagination I personally think it would be neat to somehow to award a member with his own piano (maybe a stipulation stating someone who doesn't yet have a real piano of his own like me).

Can be a early (or late) Christmas gift depending how long it takes, like I said I just think it would be an interesting idea, we could turn it into a big event with plenty of involvement, maybe will even make the newspapers and garner more attention for our little corner of the universe here ;-) If this all sounds far fetched please stop me now, if not I will continue

Anyhow I don't have many ideas at this moment, hoping someone else can chime in but someone we can raise money within ourselves, either purely through donations or some other sort of endeavour, and either have a drawing or a contest of some sort, and if it's successful enough we can award a few pianos a year. Doesn't have to be an expensive grand could be any sort of piano as long as it's workable. Like I said I don't have many ideas right now other than that initial thought to spark your imaginations, if this ideas a dud so be it, if it picks up then I'll try to help think of more.

Piano & Music Accessories
#741173 - 10/02/04 08:30 PM Re: FREE GRAND PIANO GIVE AWAY!
tcmod Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NC
I think it should be a drawing of sorts. Anyone willing to contribute say 20 dollars ought to be eligible. A thousand participants=20000 towards a piano. Aren't there 7000 members here?

#741174 - 10/02/04 08:38 PM Re: FREE GRAND PIANO GIVE AWAY!
Googlism Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
Most members aren't even active. There are probably about 100 here that are active.

Besides, PW held a similar 'give away' but wasn't too successful.

"... It is a skill you go on learning all your life: the more you write, the more you learn."

Harry Freedman on the craft of composing

#741175 - 10/02/04 08:42 PM Re: FREE GRAND PIANO GIVE AWAY!
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Groton, NH
Requiem Aeternam,

It's an excellent idea. In fact we tried something similar a few years ago. According to plan, one of the participating dealers was going to donate a piano to the cause. PW members were going to submit applicants, and they would be screened by a committee which would select a set of applicants that the PW members would vote on to receive the piano. It was designed so that the piano would go to a person in need. There were some glitches, as to be expected when trying to coordinate a diverse group of people who do not really know each other, except through the www. It was a very noble idea and I was very sad to see it fold (I'm idealistic).

I still think such a plan could work, but it will take the dedicated commitment of at least a few people--there is lots (tons) of coordination to arrange. If I were not learning so much and working full time I might volunteer, but I must be realistic.

It's a great idea, a great project, albeit time consuming.

#741176 - 10/02/04 08:44 PM Re: FREE GRAND PIANO GIVE AWAY!
markjpcs Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
How about a raffle of sorts.

Sell 1000 Tickets at $20 each. You can buy as many as you want. This gets you a chance of winning a piano or taking the cash equivalent if you already have one and do not want another.

So we raise 20k each raffle. Piano Wold gets to keep a percentage for hosting the raffle. Quarterly raffles could be for a quality upright piano with multiple winners. The big Annual Raffle could cost a bit more per ticket and the lucky winner would get a grand piano during the holiday season.

Could be a good fund raiser for PW as well.

hmmmm, interesting thread!

Mark

#741177 - 10/02/04 09:32 PM Re: FREE GRAND PIANO GIVE AWAY!
Cindysphinx Offline

Loc: Washington D.C. Metro
Mmmm, doesn't each jurisdiction in the U.S. have different laws governing raffles? I think I remember that in the District of Columbia, a raffle requires a permit or license. I don't remember anymore; someone would have to look it up.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post...QvjrL_blog.html

#741178 - 10/02/04 10:08 PM Re: FREE GRAND PIANO GIVE AWAY!
markjpcs Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Are you kidding?

The government has to have it damn hands in raffles?

I knew we were out of control but that is just stupid.

Mark

#741179 - 10/02/04 10:31 PM Re: FREE GRAND PIANO GIVE AWAY!
Requiem Aeternam Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I would be interested in getting a comment from Frank himself to see what he thinks of the prospect of such a thing. By the way guys I wasn't around for the first attempt at this sort of thing that googlism and bernard mentioned, what exactly went wrong last time? I would definitely be interested in dedicating my time to getting such a thing off the ground, especially since it gives me a chance to participate and win a piano which I sorely need!

There's many things to factor in, such as not only payment for said piano but deliverey as well, I am interested to know whether any more piano dealerships are willing to either donate or perhaps at least cut a significant deal on a piano that we can give away in good spirit to someone? The prospect is definitely very exciting to me and I would be willing to do a lot of the work.

Googlism is right about one thing, out of all those various members there's only 100 or less active ones, and out of those maybe only a small percentage willing to donate money for the cause, so perhaps we can raise the money another way? I'm clueless presently as to how but one small idea is perhaps Frank can simply set up a sort of paypal donation link all over the page so that as people come and go they can deposit whatever they can and Frank can keep the difference. Or this method coupled with something else perhaps. I mean it would be incredible if we could raise enough for a grand or baby grand but probalby unrealistic. It would be nice to have even a few hundred of the members donate at least 10$ but I doubt even that is realistic unless we change up our strategy, any thoughts? Maybe if we somehow make the selection system more fun and hands on it will entice more people to get involved and chip in, I don't know?

#741180 - 10/02/04 10:31 PM Re: FREE GRAND PIANO GIVE AWAY!
Cindysphinx Offline

Raffles are an excellent potential form of scam. Just go door-to-door selling raffle tickets and then never award the prize.

It's just consumer protection.

#741181 - 10/02/04 10:36 PM Re: FREE GRAND PIANO GIVE AWAY!
Requiem Aeternam Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Cindy what if each member's deposited amount is recorded in a database and guaranteed returned if the project falls through so that there's no danger of squandered or embezzled cash?

#741182 - 10/02/04 10:49 PM Re: FREE GRAND PIANO GIVE AWAY!
Cindysphinx Offline

Oh, I have no idea!

I was just pointing out that there might be some legal issues to sort out, that's all. There are actually lawyers who specialize in sweepstakes and such -- can you believe it?

I happen not to be one of them.

#741183 - 10/03/04 08:51 PM Re: FREE GRAND PIANO GIVE AWAY!
LadyElton Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeastern Pennsylvania
Hey - no need for a contest or drawing. Just give the piano to me. :p \:D

Check out my blog

"Looking like a true survivor..."
-- Sir EJ/BT '83

What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
112 registered (Alux, anotherscott, albumblatter, AndrewJCW, 36251, 31 invisible), 1463 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75843 Members
42 Forums
156798 Topics
2303963 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Jazz"y" improvisation/cover issues
by kobethuy
08/20/14 02:00 AM
Jazz"y" improvisation/cover issues
by kobethuy
08/20/14 01:33 AM
My Steinway M birth information.
by ciftwood
08/19/14 08:30 PM
Breathy tone
by JoelW
08/19/14 07:59 PM
HELLO!!
by Synner
08/19/14 07:23 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission