2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,823 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
AJB Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Are you bored yet? I am. Sorry. I have seen too many questions as follows and am in a mood to sound off...

Is this a good deal? Answer: none of us have seen or played this piano. And it is not all about price anyway. So make your own mind up. Dork.

Gloss or satin? Answer: would you consult a forum to choose the colour of your life partner’s hair or skin? No? Well make you own mind up about which finish you prefer then! It is a trivial decision in comparison. Get a life.

Which is best: grottyman, hammy mason, bosenburger, or some other PSO? Answer – use your ears and fingers and make your own mind up. We all choose different cars, houses, partners and everything else so what on earth makes you think we can choose a piano for you? Are you mad?

European, Japanese, Chinese or American? Help please !!! ☺ Answer – just play the damn things and pick which one you like best. Does anyone ask this question about bombs? Don’t even go there.

Renner, pretend Renner, Rennerish, wish I was a Renner, or unashamedly not Renner and proud of it in this new Millennium III. Which do I choose? Answer: Who gives a damn? They are all much the same as they all use more or less exactly the same system of levers as they have for over a hundred years and 99% of players cannot tell the difference after a tech has been at them, and as sure as God is my witness if you were in the 1% you would not be here asking this inane question. It is like saying "which wheel is best?" Doh!

Do I need a tech to help me choose my piano? Answer: if you are blind, deaf and stupid the answer is obviously yes? If you are dealing with the guy who everybody knows is a crook and is just as happy selling time share holiday homes as pianos, then the answer is also yes. You also need a brain transplant. Mostly though the answer is no – get a grip and make a decision on your own for goodness sake.

Which “player system is best? Answer: the one called a "hi-fi" that plays CD's. Everthing else is a substitue for not being able to play a piano. Buy a harmonica, not a piano. It is much cheaper to be cr*p on a harmonica and you can spend the other $3,000 on CD's!

I could go on. And on. Aaaarrgh!!!

Adrian

C212. Teaching. Accompaniment.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Don't hold back, mate. You're among friends. Tell us how you really feel! laugh

Compassion, Love, Strength, Peace, Dignity, Balance, Order
S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
How about unending shopping posts (Part 17)...like we care that they played every piano made and are really interested in their opinions.

Oh yea, that was you!! eek

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Steve,
LMAO

And adrian, what's the need for two threads of the exact same topic?

WHAT???????
Yamaha S6, U5C, P120
http://michaelstith.com
AJB Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
I did that to be really, really annoying! (actually it was a technical hitch).

And Steve, I agree abiut the piano search. I was bored too. But not half as bored as I am with dealers defending the indefensible pricing that gets slapped on pianos. :-) And, by the way, part 17 was easily my best work. (what was it about by the way? Not your brand. Sorry :-) )

A

(PS, I am considering going out with a bang. I just can't think of anything explosive enough at the moment to do the trick to my satisfaction)

A: That wasn't so annoying! I'm sure you can do better! wink

Are you really going to go out with a bang? That will be worth the price of admission, indeed.

That man is richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. - H. D. Thoreau
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I want to get a new piano bench. Is it better to get an artist's bench, a regular one with padding, or one without padding? I'm also leaning toward a bench with a bubinga finish. Will this clash with the drapes?

markb--The Count of Casio
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by markb:
I want to get a new piano bench. Is it better to get an artist's bench, a regular one with padding, or one without padding? I'm also leaning toward a bench with a bubinga finish. Will this clash with the drapes?
You should always have a technician check out a new bench. You might otherwise get one where one of the legs doesn't reach the floor, or some other hard-to-find defect.

In addition, Noona suggests that you have a water tank, ozone generator, and padding stuffing compaction detection system installed, or else your bench may suffer from spontaneous combustion.

For more info:
http://shusterpiano.com/pub/PianoBonfire.jpg

--Cy--

Cy Shuster, RPT
www.shusterpiano.com
AJB Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
MarkB - everyone knows that Chinese benches are the up and coming "next big thing". Some dealers will quote you $10,000 for these, but the top dogs can do them for only $4.99 if you sign a finance deal today. Personaly I prefer each leg to have a different colour and the top should be in pink velour with imation but real looking gold buttons. Really tasteful. A cool stool helps the tone.

I am about to patent a vibrating stool that massages your backside as you "perform". I am hoping to have an artist endorsement. Mr L*ang de La*g has already tried the prototype. He pronounced it fant-arse-tic. I agree.

A

Didn't mean to post yet, oops!

Christians aren't perfect; just forgiven.
Well, I think you should definately go with a wood bench over and ebony one, as they seem more classic and are easier to refinish. And of course you want to go with a Yamaha bench because everyone knows they are so reliable. wink

Actually do not get a bench. Use a chair instead, as every bench I've ever had so far has found some way to break, whether the bottom falls out or the hinge snaps and the lid crashes into the piano. Wait! That's not true. I have one bench that hasn't done anything to me yet. So in that case get a bench. Because my experience will definately be the same as yours.

(By the way, I do disagree on some of the points in the original post, but it's more fun to "join em" then argue with them in this case!!)

Christians aren't perfect; just forgiven.
Have you had a few ales tonight AJB ?

G.Colin Crawford MPTA
[Linked Image]
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Adrian,

You've made my week with this forum topic I couldn't stop laughing after I read it.

Well done mate!

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
L
LJC Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
I did that to be really, really annoying!
---You Succeeded. Now come up with some good ideas of your own. As for the rest of you, ask whatever you like, AJB can just ignore it if he doesn't like it.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by lagin:
Well, I think you should definately go with a wood bench over and ebony one, as they seem more classic and are easier to refinish. And of course you want to go with a Yamaha bench because everyone knows they are so reliable. wink
But be sure to avoid a grey market Yamaha bench, as they are SEASONED FOR DESTINATION!

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
1918 Hobart M. Cable "H"
"No-one would knowingly provide Franz Liszt with a mediocre piano." -E. M. Good
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Reaching into my fridge

Pulling out 2 6's of Bass Ale

Passing one to everyone in the room

Passing the bottle opener

Leaning back, putting my feet up on my desk

Anyone seen the remote?

Toast to a relaxing weekend.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
Mark Twain

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
http://www.facebook.com/EJBuckPerformances
Whoa, AJB blew a gasket! Really different from his usual posts. About all I can say is that for most of us a piano is or will be a major purchase for an instrument we plan to keep for a long, long time. Id rather get my dumb sounding questions out of the way before I plop down my money than to read everyones opinions of how I overpaid or bought an edsel a.k.a. a Pegasus 120 P! Most of the hand holding questions seem to be from ABF I think,where beginners like me need reinforcement. But I get your point on the redundancy.

Have a nice day
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
AJB, I thought it was MY job whome to spice up this place with irreverent shocked (and irrelevant!) humor. :p

Oh well, I do get weary frown of cranking out these deliberately eek annoying mad smilies. :rolleyes:

Folks on this forum can be so serious! smokin

Posts I love: My piano has been in the back yard for the last 20 years. Should I rebuild it or buy a new one?

For the frequent posts which query: Help identify my piano I am always tempted to respond:
It's a piano.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I think it's mildly amusing that AJG double-posted his annoying thread. What could be more annoying? I s'pose a triple post. :p

I just got in from Richmond (that's US Richmond, not UK) where I bought a Mac laptop. I managed to decide which one without a single word of advice from this crowd. Now, do you think I should .... ah, I won't go there.

Whippen: your little satire probably won't be noticed by the people it's intended to spoof.

Here's another frequent question: "I've got this beut of an old 'Obi One' model Knabe and it's got a serial number 46883. How old is it?"

WELL, LOOK UP THE BLOODY NUMBER ON THE WEB YOURSELF.

OK, if Adrian were giving the answer it would be

WELL, LOOK UP TEH BLOODY NUBMER ON TEH WEB YOURSLEF.

Cheers, wink

D

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission