Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#538266 - 09/11/05 06:40 PM Silly/funny comments from non-musicians
Bassio Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Alexandria, Egypt
What silly or funny comments you heard from non-musicians on your piano playing or music in general?

I know some of the comments can make you angry though.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#538267 - 09/11/05 07:37 PM Re: Silly/funny comments from non-musicians
boomerpizza Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
Im in a band with some kids at school, and I always use classical terms when Im trying to get them to play a certain way for a thing I write. It gets them lost every single time! Like I might say start piano and then crescendo to a forte, then have Tom harmonize with the sixth below, and then go down chromatically. Then one of them will say, wait, how are we supposed to play like a piano??? or something like that. It makes me laugh but gets frustrating.

#538268 - 09/11/05 08:16 PM Re: Silly/funny comments from non-musicians
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bassio:
What silly or funny comments you heard from non-musicians on ... music in general?[/b]
Reviews from amazon.com:

re: Kissin's recording of the Chopin Concertos

Kissin's phat
I ain't never heard beats like this. Evgeny Kissin ain't afraid to tell da 'hole world how it be. If you don't already have this phat disc in yo' collection you betta get to steppin' cause these beats are representin'.

Re: Complete Josef Hofmann, Vol. 6

Yo yo foo's! Hofmann be the bomb KABLAMM!
Rachmaninov considered Hofmann to be the greatest pianist he had ever seen, and these recordings are to show. Reviewing Rachmaninov's recordings of Chopin, as far as precision and skill, Hofmann kills Sergei. Every note exploads with this individual sensation of sound that only Hofmann can emit. The musical ideas are genuine. Give a listen to his original performance of Chopin's minute waltz. It's unlike anything you've ever heard. For this pianist's small fingers, he sure does have the advantage over the other greats in pounding out immaculate works from his customized Steinway & Sons.

Blew up tha Spot
What up to all my dogs out there! I gotta agree with my homie Superkike from tha desert in Tucson, A.Z., baby. Josef Hofmann gots mad skills yo. If any of y'all playas think my man Josef ain't got no skills, then take it upon yo self to try and play any piece of his. You won't be able to cuz you ain't got no game that be tight like Josef's. Josef be tha tightest playa eva. What? What's that? What eva foo! Quit doggin' my man Josef. You know he be the illest. If you don't think Josef could be as tight as other greats like Beethoven and Mozart, then I sugest you pick this album up yo. It's got mad flava. It's gots the ups and downs of every day life. Know what I mean? He be playin quick like Maurice Greene and Marion Jones. He be chillin like James Dean and Marilyn Monroe. Ya Heard?. Dis be your homeboy Thug 4Life, boning out, and hopes you join him in tha next Episode.

Even when hes dead hes still the tightest pianist out there!
Yo this Cd was off the hook this show why Hofmann was and still is the realest.This album puts dmx and jay-z's new cd to shame. Tight beat and rhythm! U wont be disapointed.

#538269 - 09/11/05 08:50 PM Re: Silly/funny comments from non-musicians
pianobrit Offline

Loc: Colorado
well something that makes me angry is when I'm practicing some incredibly difficult piece at school, and then some kid comes up to me and says, "can you play heart and soul?"

#538270 - 09/11/05 10:23 PM Re: Silly/funny comments from non-musicians
schuyler Offline

"hey is this bad for the piano??" as he holds down the dampers as i play....why yes it is just a little bit, YOU F***ING MORON!!!!!!

#538271 - 09/11/05 11:39 PM Re: Silly/funny comments from non-musicians
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
 Quote:
Originally posted by pianobrit:
well something that makes me angry is when I'm practicing some incredibly difficult piece at school, and then some kid comes up to me and says, "can you play heart and soul?" [/b]
I usually tell them, "No," because I can't. :p ;\)

#538272 - 09/12/05 12:26 AM Re: Silly/funny comments from non-musicians
ChatNoir Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Encino, California
Once in December, the phone rang, and a neighbor was on the line. "What are you doing", she asked. I told her I was in the middle of a difficult cadenza. "Oh", she said, "You have such energy. I have completely given up baking cakes for Christmas".
I haven't stopped laughing since.

#538273 - 09/12/05 12:47 AM Re: Silly/funny comments from non-musicians
Siddhartha Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
When I was in music school, guys in the dorm who were business majors or accounting, etc, and thought my degree was just fluff: "I wish all I had to do is sit over there and play piano all day" (generally accompanied with twinkling "air piano" fingers, to capture the essence of what my life was about).

Oh, and when talking about tastes in music, and I bring up classical, people will offer "oh, i like classical, i put it on to go to sleep." :rolleyes:

(btw, I've been in a few bands, and NEVER would I even think to use terminology like "piano crescendo forte" with band members. It doesnt belong there.)

#538274 - 09/12/05 01:12 AM Re: Silly/funny comments from non-musicians
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
 Quote:
Originally posted by Siddhartha:
When I was in music school, guys in the dorm who were business majors or accounting, etc, and thought my degree was just fluff: "I wish all I had to do is sit over there and play piano all day" (generally accompanied with twinkling "air piano" fingers, to capture the essence of what my life was about).

Oh, and when talking about tastes in music, and I bring up classical, people will offer "oh, i like classical, i put it on to go to sleep." :rolleyes: [/b]
Ah, but it is true of some of us business-ers. I wish all I had to do was sit and play the piano all day. That would certainly make life more enjoyable than some of the other *clears throat* @#($*&#& things I have to do. :p ;\)

And as for "music to fall asleep to," I cannot do it. Classical music sets off so many stories in my head that I would swoon and never fall asleep...or worse, fall asleep and forget the story. I generally set my alarm clock to a classical station to wake up to, though.

(Of course, this has inadvertently produced interesting effects.)

Once, I had to get up to catch a train. The radio alarm-clock turned the radio on on-time. It happened to be the Rach 2 that was playing. I had a dream that I was playing the Rach 2 with the group I played it with back in June. At the end of the piece, the radio continued with its "concerto morning" with Tchaikovsky. Again, in the dream, we started playing the piece. A couple minutes into the first movement, I remember thinking to myself--how can I play this when I don't know the notes?

And that's when I remember hearing the radio host's voice. I woke up...40 minutes late.

(Ever since then, I stopped listening to classical on days I have to wake up at a particular time. :p ;\) )

#538275 - 09/12/05 01:42 AM Re: Silly/funny comments from non-musicians
Siddhartha Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Derulux:
Ah, but it is true of some of us business-ers. I wish all I had to do was sit and play the piano all day. That would certainly make life more enjoyable than some of the other *clears throat* @#($*&#& things I have to do. :p ;\)

[/b]
But the point is, that being a piano major is not about "sitting over there playing piano all day". Of course, playing and practicing are two entirely different things. And practicing 8 hours a day is grueling hard work, at a level of effort and dedication that I dare say is not involved in achieving a business degree (although I could be wrong).

the implication of the remark was that being a piano major is easy and trivial. Of course, way off!! In fact, I cant think of one day where I sat around playing piano all day.

#538276 - 09/12/05 01:44 AM Re: Silly/funny comments from non-musicians
Siddhartha Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Oh, and music dreams?!?! there's a whole nother thread!! \:\)

#538277 - 09/12/05 10:42 AM Re: Silly/funny comments from non-musicians
Auntie Lynn Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Sounds like it might have been Yogi Berra but who said: Classical music is better than it sounds...or something like that...

#538278 - 09/12/05 11:55 AM Re: Silly/funny comments from non-musicians
ChatNoir Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Encino, California
I think it was Mark Twain who said: Wagner's music is not as bad as it sounds.

#538279 - 09/12/05 12:16 PM Re: Silly/funny comments from non-musicians
EHpianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY-Madrid-Newfoundland (rhymes...
"So what do you do?"

"I'm a classical pianist"

"Oooooohhhh, so are you as good as Richard Clayderman?"

I have gotten some comment about Clayderman too many times to ennumerate... :rolleyes:

Elena

#538280 - 09/12/05 12:19 PM Re: Silly/funny comments from non-musicians
ecm Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Republic of Macedonia
"Piano is different than klavier, isn't it?"

- asked my friend in school.

#538281 - 09/12/05 12:22 PM Re: Silly/funny comments from non-musicians
Siddhartha Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EHpianist:
"So what do you do?"

"I'm a classical pianist"

"Oooooohhhh, so are you as good as Richard Clayderman?"

I have gotten some comment about Clayderman too many times to ennumerate... :rolleyes:

Elena [/b]
LOL. Ouch!! when I was in high school, and people heard of my plans, they'd ask "so you want to be the next Liberace?"

ugh!

Interesting you say you're a 'classical pianist'. Whereas people will often refer to me as a 'concert pianist' which is ludicrous of course. I dont play concerts. But YOU do. \:\)

#538282 - 09/12/05 12:39 PM Re: Silly/funny comments from non-musicians
EHpianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I used to say "professional pianist" or "concert pianist" but people outside the classical music realm would then always ask "so what kind of music do you play". I don't blame them. They are right not to assume I play classical. I could be a Jazz pianist for all they know. "Classical pianist" says it all.

Elena

#538283 - 09/12/05 12:48 PM Re: Silly/funny comments from non-musicians
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
On some sites I frequent I have a photograph of me sitting at my piano. I often hear, therefore : "Oh, do you play the piano?"

I feel like replying: "No, it's just a $XX,XXX.xx piece of furniture, nitwit!"

Cheers!

#538284 - 09/12/05 12:53 PM Re: Silly/funny comments from non-musicians
EHpianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Oh, Oh! And then there was the time when I told my High School guidance counselor that I was going to go to New England Conservatory to make the piano my career. She gave me the kindest, most pityful look you can imagine and said: "Oh honey, but you're so SMART..." I wanted to slap her.

Elena

#538285 - 09/12/05 01:28 PM Re: Silly/funny comments from non-musicians
Dave Spelvin Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
My high school basketball coach saw me play piano at a school assembly and asked me later if I ever worried about hurting my fingers while playing basketball. I was young, and in a moment of honesty and stupidity, told him, yes, I do think about it from time to time. Before he told me that I'd ride the bench the rest of my life, he flapped his lifeless gnarled mitts, that he called hands, at me and stated that he could play piano better than I could if he wished and that he'd never given a second thought to his fingers. This was in about 1977. I'm pleased to note that he retired last year after providing generations of students the benefit of his wit and wisdom. I only hope they took him as seriously as I did.

#538286 - 09/12/05 01:40 PM Re: Silly/funny comments from non-musicians
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

"What kind of music do you listen to?"

"Classical"

"Oh, yeah, me too. It's very relaxing..."

On one occassion, I took out my iPod and then played for my naive friend Koji's recording of Chopin 10/4.

Then he got a little bit of Shostakovich String Quartet No. 8 (the really fast and harsh 2nd movement).

That settled that.

:rolleyes:

#538287 - 09/12/05 02:08 PM Re: Silly/funny comments from non-musicians
Siddhartha Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EHpianist:
Oh, Oh! And then there was the time when I told my High School guidance counselor that I was going to go to New England Conservatory to make the piano my career. She gave me the kindest, most pityful look you can imagine and said: "Oh honey, but you're so SMART..." I wanted to slap her.

Elena [/b]
When I was at my guidance counselor's office, I was talking to the SECRETARY, yes I said the SECRETARY at the office. When she heard about my plans to major in music (she herself sang in a local choir of some note), she said "I like music very much, I find it soothing, but it should not be gone into for a career."

Well, first, I'm not into it for 'soothing' qualities, I can take a hot bubble bath for that. And second, you're not the guidance couselor, lady. And third, maybe you're right, perhaps I should jump on the fast track to a power career in the SECRETARIAL field. :rolleyes:

#538288 - 09/12/05 02:11 PM Re: Silly/funny comments from non-musicians
EHpianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Spelvin:
My high school basketball coach saw me play piano at a school assembly and asked me later if I ever worried about hurting my fingers while playing basketball. I was young, and in a moment of honesty and stupidity, told him, yes, I do think about it from time to time. Before he told me that I'd ride the bench the rest of my life, he flapped his lifeless gnarled mitts, that he called hands, at me and stated that he could play piano better than I could if he wished and that he'd never given a second thought to his fingers. This was in about 1977. I'm pleased to note that he retired last year after providing generations of students the benefit of his wit and wisdom. I only hope they took him as seriously as I did. [/b]
LOL! Did this take place in Brooklyn (I see that is where you live), that is such a Brooklynesque comment! Ah, the good old days when the teachers could be bullies and the students cowered in their presence...

Elena

#538289 - 09/12/05 02:34 PM Re: Silly/funny comments from non-musicians
Dave Spelvin Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
It might have happened many times in Brooklyn, but not to me. (On second thought, Brooklyn kids were more street smart than I and would have known that the coach was setting a trap.) No. I grew up in a New York suburb known for producing bankers, lawyers, doctors and other undesirables - not serious ballplayers. I don't know where all my teammates ended up, but I'm certain none of them ever played for the Knicks. They're more likely season ticketholders.

#538290 - 09/12/05 02:42 PM Re: Silly/funny comments from non-musicians
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Siddhartha:
she said "I like music very much, I find it soothing, but it should not be gone into for a career."[/b]
She wouldn't have her "soothing" music to listen to if there were no professional musicians.

#538291 - 09/12/05 02:54 PM Re: Silly/funny comments from non-musicians
Bassio Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Most of my friends notice that i can spend a lot of time at home without complaining.

So one of them said: you are ruining your vacation by staying home. don't you get bored? what do you do for fun at home?

Then i answer: i usually play the piano.

Then i get a brief laugh followed by "No, seriously. What do you do for fun at home?"

#538292 - 09/12/05 02:55 PM Re: Silly/funny comments from non-musicians
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bassio:
Most of my friends notice that i can spend a lot of time at home without complaining.

So one of them said: you are ruining your vacation by staying home. don't you get bored? what do you do for fun at home?

Then i answer: i usually play the piano.

Then i get a brief laugh followed by "No, seriously. What do you do for fun at home?" [/b]
Happens to me, too.

:rolleyes:

#538293 - 09/12/05 02:58 PM Re: Silly/funny comments from non-musicians
Bassio Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BruceD:
On some sites I frequent I have a photograph of me sitting at my piano. I often hear, therefore : "Oh, do you play the piano?"

I feel like replying: "No, it's just a $XX,XXX.xx piece of furniture, nitwit!"

Cheers! [/b]
:D

Although this is the question i would normally (reflexly) ask if i saw this photo. Note that i also play the piano.

#538294 - 09/12/05 03:28 PM Re: Silly/funny comments from non-musicians
Suz Offline

Loc: Midwest
I remember at a performance of mine on which I had been working really hard for a year, someone told me just before I walked out on stage, "It's ok if you screw up." \:\(

#538295 - 09/12/05 03:34 PM Re: Silly/funny comments from non-musicians
Siddhartha Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Suz:
I remember at a performance of mine on which I had been working really hard for a year, someone told me just before I walked out on stage, "It's ok if you screw up." \:\( [/b]
That wouldnt be your mom, would it? I got a few pips from her along those lines myself.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
My Kawai CA-95 does not record drum patterns
by SP6NIN
Today at 06:18 AM
page-turning for tablets
by Barly
Today at 04:02 AM
Vertegrand pressure bar loosening
by Chris Leslie
Today at 03:47 AM
The Godfather movie theme
by Danijelcro
Today at 02:30 AM
taking lessons on a very heavy grand. is it time to upgrade?
by littlebirdblue
Today at 02:28 AM
Who's Online
107 registered (barbaram, angusperde, AlexChase, A Guy, 36251, 29 invisible), 1312 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76370 Members
42 Forums
157879 Topics
2318726 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission