Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#514772 - 11/23/05 11:10 PM Memorizing
Requiem Aeternam Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
hey guys I am the type who never paid much mind to any guidelines or ways of going about memorizing something but I now find myself often little slipups that result in my completely being unable to continue and having to start either the whole piece over, depending how far along I am, or the whole section.

Also, I notice that oftentimes if I'm not looking exactly at the same spot on my hands or keys or am not thinking or feeling the exact same thing that I have preprogrammed myself to look/think at that particular passage or point in music then I will have a memory lapse and be completely lost as to what to play next.

I am only now beginning to really pay attention to this and come to the realization that my problem is that I never paid any attention to memorizing and thus have allowd pieces to just sort of soak into my hands which as I understand it is a very dangerous thing to do because the hands basically remember a certain routine and if that routine is broken even slightly by ONE missed note, it can spell havoc for the entire thought process and cause you to completely lose your place in the music. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem so I thought we could discuss (although I know it's been done here millions of times before) the BEST ways to learn and hardwire a piece completely so that it is 'performance' ready. By that I mean that even under stress and pressure, should your mind wander briefly astray or you have a slipup you will be able to like a professional either continue on or restart from a very close section to which you were playing, rather than having to restart from the very beginning etc.

I've heard things on here such as be able to play the whole piece with each hand separated (something I am unable to do because again, not having that sight of both of my hands on the right keys at the right time that I am used to I suddenly lose complete track of what I am playing or where I am supposed to be in the music),
or practice very slowly, or be able to play the piece silently with the volume on the digital off or on a grand piano without depressing the keys fully, or being able to imagine yourself playing the entire piece in your mind with correct fingerings etc.

For those of you who memorize your pieces fully and rarely have memory slips or slipups that result in distant restarts, what is it that you do to hardwire the piece so? Can you please take me (or us) through the process of how you go about learning a fresh piece from beginning to end to ensure it is memorized in the proper or best way?

All comments welcome and appreciated

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#514773 - 11/24/05 01:33 AM Re: Memorizing
sarabande Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mo.
R.A.
I like your writing style. Well, one little tip a Prof. once gave me is to have pre-selected points within your music that you know you could go back to or jump forward to in case of a memory slip. These might be beginnings of main sections, mark them and practice a lot (also from memory) starting from these points almost as though they were the beginning of the piece. There kind of like landmarks.

Also, I just read an article this year by a Prof. of Piano, Brent Hugh out of Mo.(I can't find the article back, if I ever do, I'll post the link), mentioning it takes repeating something 7 times to get something from one's short-term memory to one's long-term memory. So he suggested, if I remember right, starting with one small segment, either one hand or both, play it 7 times, then see if you can play it from memory. If you can't then you probably started with too big of a chunk and need to break it down and try again. I've always kind of had a "3 times" rule for myself and never heard it explained this way before.

I usually memorize a measure or part of a phrase, adding another measure, playing both together, adding another measure playing all 3 together and so on. I do usually memorize both hands separately and then together.

#514774 - 11/24/05 01:46 AM Re: Memorizing
soberkenny Offline

Loc: green bay, wisconsin
i like the 7 times over rule that sarabande mentioned. however for me it is entirely dependent on how familiar i am with whatever piece of music i'm trying to memorize. for example "fur elise" (the first piece probobly too many people memorize, myself included) came easily because it was well known to me probobly from some childhood music box...however others that my teacher worked with me on and TOLD me to memorize i could only get after practicing short sections at a time then sort of numbering the sections in my head to memory.

#514775 - 11/24/05 10:45 AM Re: Memorizing
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
i find some passages are easier to memorize than others. a typical passage such as Tempest 3rd movement bar 109-150 feels like the hardest part of the movement to memorize to me, because its constant modulation and low to high octave shifting. it took me at least 5 times more to memorize than some other part, and i still have to think sometimes what next notes to play whenever i get to this spot. for this passage in particular, i reply on some 'positioning' memory, i.e. key/finger locations and 'visual' spots. i don't know what's the best way to memorize the passages like this though.

#514776 - 11/24/05 04:21 PM Re: Memorizing
Glyptodont Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
I rarely memorize anything.

Sometimes with tricky passages, I will memorize some of the music so I don't hesitate or slow down.

I like to play many different things. Some of the persons who memorize long pieces may be the type who spend six months preparing a single piece-- for a recital or a testing or something. That would take all the fun out of it for me.

Perhaps I am all wrong on this -- maybe some people can memorize many pieces and hold them in their memory indefinitely.

#514777 - 11/24/05 05:53 PM Re: Memorizing
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
I have never actively tried to memorize a piece; memorization just happens after working on a piece for some time. After a few weeks, I'll notice that I'm looking at the music less and less. Then one day I'll notice I don't need it at all.

I find that it's not until I have a piece memorized (or nearly so) that it really starts to sound good, because I am much better able to concentrate more on dynamics and pacing if I don't have to constantly be staring at the pages figuring out what notes to play next.

#514778 - 11/24/05 08:11 PM Re: Memorizing
AJB Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, England
Interesting. My approach is this. if I am working on a piece that I intend to add to my repertoire, then I will start to try to memorize it straight away. I really study the notes and rythmn very carefully as I sight read and ensure that I have it very accurately recorded in my mind. I typically do this for no more than 3 or 4 bars at a time (less for complex sections). I play them over two or three times from teh score, then I try to play it without the score. I memorise music very much in patterns and if I can visualise a pattern then I can remember that section fairly easily.

I agree with Monica that I dont play a piece really well, with good phrasing and tone, until it is memorised.

Even then I will occasionally check back against the music. It is amazing how little errors (typically ones that sound OK) can have been overlooked.

When I started on the Grieg Concerto, the first three pages are quite straightforward and I played them thorigh to my teacher, from memory. The piece starts with some quite fast and dramatic octave based chords all teh way down the keyboard. I was astounded and embarrassed when my teacher pointed out that I had missed out a whole bar! Memory can be deceptive - sometimes we hear what we want to hear....

Keep at it. Memorising is a learnable skill.

Kind regards

Adrian

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
143 registered (accordeur, 36251, Alex1, Al LaPorte, 41 invisible), 1853 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75560 Members
42 Forums
156227 Topics
2294446 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Questioning the Wisdom of Heavy Actions
by Dwscamel
Today at 12:52 PM
What do you think made you passionate about music/piano?
by Spuds
Today at 11:45 AM
Tune lab question
by RonTuner
Today at 11:32 AM
What IS this song? (And yes, I mean "song"!)
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 09:35 AM
Kawai Cp200 repair needed
by Walks
Today at 08:52 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission