Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#480517 - 01/14/06 12:47 PM Sheet Music Websites
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
This sticky topic is for the posting of websites that have LEGAL sheetmusic downloads.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#480518 - 01/14/06 12:48 PM Re: Sheet Music Websites
Kreisler Offline

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com

#480519 - 01/14/06 03:04 PM Re: Sheet Music Websites
ecm Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Republic of Macedonia

#480520 - 01/15/06 06:33 AM Re: Sheet Music Websites
jpw101 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK

#480521 - 01/23/06 09:13 AM Re: Sheet Music Websites
snow Offline

One more,
http://www.rowy.net/
regards

#480522 - 02/04/06 08:17 AM Re: Sheet Music Websites
Antonius Hamus Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Free piano/vocal scores of most Wagner operas (Der Fliegende Holländer, Tannhäuser, Lohengrin, Die Walküre, Siegfried, Götterdämmerung, Tristan und Isolde, Die Meistersinger, and Parsifal). They are there in the form of image-files, and can be downloaded and printed out as such... Many great preludes to play (with), for example:

http://www.wagneroperas.com/indexwagneroperas.html

#480523 - 02/09/06 12:02 PM Re: Sheet Music Websites
Kreisler Offline

Some reminders:

1) I delete all discussion and requests. This is for the posting of links only.

2) Everything written in the United States in the last 75 years is under copyright and not legally available for free.

3) Link exchanges and forums will also be deleted. I know they're not "technically" illegal, but it's a grey area and I don't want to get Frank into any trouble.

4) Not everything old is legal. Editions of works can be copyrighted. While Beethoven himself owns no copyrights on his works, certain editions may be copyrighted.

5) Serious pianists own the scores to the music they play.[/b] It is my hope that people use these sites as a way to browse scores as one might browse through a music store. Once you find something you like, BUY IT. It keeps the publishers, retailers, editors, and composers in business.

www.pianoped.com

#480524 - 02/09/06 02:18 PM Re: Sheet Music Websites
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Haverhill, Massachusetts
Here's another...

http://icking-music-archive.org/#GMD-Music-Archive

Werner icking Music Archive at the Royal Academy of Music Aarhus (RAMA).

#480525 - 02/09/06 02:21 PM Re: Sheet Music Websites
Grahame Davies Offline

Loc: London, England
Well perhaps it is ok to add a shamless plug for my website Great Scores www.greatscores.com where wo do have some free music but the rest is charged for. This includes pieces that are in the public domain - however we take music and convert it to different ability levels. I would be pleased to know what people think.

#480526 - 02/10/06 05:50 PM Re: Sheet Music Websites
valarking Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas
 Quote:
Site administrators believe that the music scores on this website are in the public domain
according to Russian Federation law. Site administrators would be grateful for any possible
errors to be brought to their attention as soon as possible. Scores that are found
to infringe copyright will be removed.
 Quote:
The Russian site is not legal.
Really now.

#480527 - 02/11/06 06:43 PM Re: Sheet Music Websites
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Two things:

1. "2) Everything written in the United States in the last 75 years is under copyright and not legally available for free."
Sorry, Kreisler, but this isn't exactly accurate. Generally, it is, but anything before the 1940s is a grey area. Please go to www.copyright.gov if you or anyone has any questions regarding U.S. Copyright law.

2. "The Russian site is not legal."
In Russia, "it" may be perfectly legal. It is up to you to determine the laws of your own country and abide by them. I do not know anything about the Russian site, but if it's a copyright question, feel free to see the above link. It will answer all copyright questions for U.S. "residents" (in this case, usually acceptably defined as one who accesses the internet from a U.S. location).

#480528 - 02/22/06 02:06 AM Re: Sheet Music Websites
Appassionata Sonata Offline

4) Not everything old is legal. Editions of works can be copyrighted. While Beethoven himself owns no copyrights on his works, certain editions may be copyrighted.

There are people who own Beethoven's music? that is messed up. I don't think he would be very happy about it.

#480529 - 02/22/06 02:19 AM Re: Sheet Music Websites
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
 Quote:
Originally posted by Appassionata Sonata:

There are people who own Beethoven's music? that is messed up. I don't think he would be very happy about it. [/b]
Yep. Here's what happened:

Right around the time the large music libraries were created, people were accustomed to copyright laws, and knew that much of the music was free. So, the large music libraries said, "Well how do we get people to pay for our stuff instead of getting it for free?" The idea of "editions" came to mind.

The libraries began printing their own "editions" of the music. None of the notes are changed (usually), but because "so-and-so" edited it, or because the edition contains some sort of extra "fingering" or "useless information" (like a random poem that inspired the piece), they obtained a copyright for this particular edition of the work.

The next step was getting people to buy it. Well, what better marketing scheme than to have all the "experts" claim that "so-and-so's" edition is "better" than anybody else's? And that's what started to happen. Large libraries solicited to schools/conservatories for a fee, and after a while, all the students (who eventually became teachers) grew up with particular editions of pieces that they passed on to their students...and so on and so on until today.

The beauty of it is that the library ("company") owns the copyright...and as long as the company exists to renew the copyright, the particular edition of a piece will never enter the public domain.

But nearly every piece of music written prior to a particular decade (which I think coincided with WW2, but cannot remember particularly which year/decade this method became "standardized") was copyrighted to an individual composer first. This means that the original edition as written by the composer exists in the public domain no matter what editions are copyrighted to what libraries/publishing houses/etc. The trick is finding those editions...which is quite difficult, and in some cases requires visiting the Library of Congress itself.

Why is it so hard to find the originals? Because none of the libraries make money on them, and as long as they can keep the originals OUT of circulation, they own a virtual monopoly on sheet music. ;\)

#480530 - 02/23/06 03:34 AM Re: Sheet Music Websites
mmmmaestro007 Offline

Loc: australia
free keith jarret transcriptions

http://www.keithjarrett.org/

#480531 - 03/02/06 11:45 AM Re: Sheet Music Websites
Ned Gerhart Offline

Loc: Seattle, Washington, USA
Sure, I happen to know a great website for free piano sheet music! This site features 15 of my piano pieces which can be downloaded in their entirety both as PDF documents and MP3 audio files:

http://www.nedgerhart.com

My compositions for piano are really "standard songs": usually 32 bars in length and AABA in form. I am not selling my music through this website, nor is it published elsewhere as of yet. I have composed more than seventy-five pieces like these, and I am working on new ones all the time. Please have a look and listen!

Ned

#480532 - 03/26/06 11:02 PM Re: Sheet Music Websites
Piana Justice Offline

Loc: Greenville, NC
Here's some more. they're free, so you can print them out on your home computer. Some of these also have MIDIs attached to them, so you know how the songs go:

[links removed]

If I find more links, then I'll post them.

Elicia

#480533 - 03/27/06 09:05 PM Re: Sheet Music Websites
menancyandsam Offline

Loc: Los Angeles Area
A great free resource, but may not be legal. Check out the "CD Sheet Music -" series. Each collection contains 1000+ pages of music on a varity of genres.
Pianosheets.com

#480534 - 03/27/06 10:18 PM Re: Sheet Music Websites
Piana Justice Offline

Loc: Greenville, NC
Well, it's for those who are too cheap to buy sheet music, like I am. Since I use public library computers, I have to pay for the paper I print out.

[link removed]

Elicia

#480535 - 03/28/06 01:47 AM Re: Sheet Music Websites
tolovemoon Offline

Loc: South Carolina
 Quote:
Originally posted by Ned Gerhart:

http://www.nedgerhart.com

Ned [/b]
I have listened to one song and I am going to attempt learning one too...Looks very interesting and refreshing from most all of the pop that has been transcribed...thank you. :)Candles in the moonlight....thats the song for me..

#480536 - 04/02/06 04:45 PM Re: Sheet Music Websites
ignorant kid Offline

Loc: Poquoson, Virginia
I just subscribed to piano street and I get access to their sheet music library (almost everything for classical piano) and was able to print out obscurities that aren't on sheetmusicarchive.net. And it's $3 for a month. sweet

#480537 - 04/05/06 11:38 PM Re: Sheet Music Websites
neciebuggs Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chula Vista
Piano Street is great... I signed up for monthly pay... ($3) within 2 weeks the sent me a code for $10 off the annual... SO I JUMPED. The files print out fine. I hope to save all the pdf files this summer during my school break.

I really liked the concise scale and arpeggio sheets they have...And there are a lot of urtext files. WONDERFUL RESOURCE. Cant say anything negative...

#480538 - 04/08/06 09:40 PM Re: Sheet Music Websites
lance cornea Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I notice that recently the site http://www.sheetmusicdigital.com/freepdffiles.asp
mentioned in the list by Kreisler in his opening posts to this thread, no longer allows free access to the 450+ free pdf files as offered on their home page. You are now redirected to the page for Gold Members and encouraged to sign up for a paid membership. Or am I not navigating the page correctly? The files which are free hold little interest for me.

#480539 - 04/09/06 08:51 PM Re: Sheet Music Websites
tomt6113 Offline

Loc: new york
i think sticking with store boubht music is the way im gonna stay. my rational behind it is as follows.
companies like schirmer really arent that expensive (altho reading some of these posts where subscriptions are only 3$ a month, subscription is a lot cheaper)
when you buy a composers etudes, preludes etc. for 7 bucks vs. a 3$/month subscription, your paying that extra money for the editing, revisions etc.
just for the sake of experiment i downloaded a few pieces i already had and compared them to the store-bought version. the online versions lacked in dynamic markings significantly. maybe i just downloaded off of a wack website, but i can handle the extra money (which isnt even that much, buying gas to get to the store is more of a hassle then buying the book) for those "extras".

#480540 - 04/19/06 09:57 PM Re: Sheet Music Websites
valarking Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas
I never got PianoStreet. Everything one can want is online if you know where to look.

#480541 - 04/26/06 04:59 PM Re: Sheet Music Websites
Simon Blundell Offline

Loc: Liverpool, England
www.everynote.com is a great site for classical music downloads. Loads of composers and pieces for a reasonable price. I just downloaded Sevilla by Albeniz for $1.80 (£1.10).

#480542 - 06/17/06 09:48 PM Re: Sheet Music Websites
Hugh Sung Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Here are a couple of freebie sheet and audio music sites that i've come across:

Free Jewish Sheet music here: http://www.mostlymusic.com/all_sheet_music.php

Here are two massive classical music MIDI and MP3 archives - great for trying out music before committing to learn the scores!:
http://www.classicalarchives.com

http://www.classiccat.net

Here's a fantastic resource for vocal and piano scores:
www.bach-cantatas.com is a fantastic online resource containing scores, commentaries, recordings, and a wealth of articles covering the vast scope of Bach's 224 (+?) cantatas.

I have to concur with Simon above regarding www.everynote.com - it's a fantastic resource for pianists (and vocalists and other instrumentalists, for that matter!)

Hope this helps...
Hugh Sung

HughSung.com - Music Meets Tech

#480543 - 06/20/06 01:00 AM Re: Sheet Music Websites
ParryHotter Offline

Loc: St. Paul , MN
Just found another one that is a work in progress , with 1061 pieces for all sorts of instruments right now.

IMSLP

#480544 - 09/04/06 09:02 PM Re: Sheet Music Websites
bukopaudan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Yes, I have that problem too. LEGAL downloads. *sighs* I've only tried:

PianoStreet
SheetMusicArchives
PianoWorld

I don't know of anything else.

Thanks for the great links!

#480545 - 09/10/06 07:32 AM Re: Sheet Music Websites
Palindrome Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
In another thread dannylux[/b] posted a link to the Lilly Sheet Music Collection at Indiana University. If you're looking for popular music from the first few decades of the 20th century, this seems to be the place to find it. They claim 150,000 items (not all are digitzed for the web, however).

Lilly Sheet Music Collection Home Page

#480546 - 09/10/06 02:50 PM Re: Sheet Music Websites
born2die Offline

Loc: midlands uk
if you are not too fussy on (ahem) legalities and when the site is working (goes down 1 or 2 times every 2 or 3 months for a couple of days

www.pianosheets.org

you need to register its free no spy ad ware etc and use a client like utorrent.

it containes torrents to nearly all sheet music produced so if you need it it should be there if not ask and someone will upload for you
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, leggy blonde in one hand, whisky in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Associate Diploma repertoire
by lacrymosa85
09/17/14 07:55 AM
Questions for those that use dremel for hammer shaping.
by UnrightTooner
09/17/14 07:29 AM
Pianoteq vs Digital Piano vs Acoustic Piano
by wildpig
09/16/14 11:57 PM
Baldwin Hamilton 1941
by JMN12
09/16/14 11:13 PM
Tucson, AZ: Is Arizona Room a bad place for a piano?
by Paul678
09/16/14 08:14 PM
Who's Online
117 registered (allakart, *windowlicker*, anotherscott, 39 invisible), 1196 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76230 Members
42 Forums
157575 Topics
2314590 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission