Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#445134 - 03/24/08 01:46 PM minor-key music isn't always sad
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

I was just listening to some music (sorry, it's not piano music) that is pretty clearly in minor keys, and yet they don't sound at all sad to me... rather happy:

http://www.helzner.com/sound_files/robynh_al_givot_sheich_abreik.mp3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i3BU8yTN9I

Maybe it's something to do with the quick tempi (though there are certainly fast pieces that sound very sad or angry), maybe something to do with the bright timbres, maybe something to do with the rhythms...?

I was always taught that music in minor keys sound sad and music in major keys always sound happy, that it's the difference between a minor or major third that makes the difference in mood. Maybe you disagree with my subjective ears and think that these two minor-key pieces that I posted actually do sound sad..... are there any minor-key piano pieces that, to your ears, sound happy? It would be interesting to flip it around, too -- is there any major-key piano music that to your ears sounds sad?

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#445135 - 03/24/08 02:00 PM Re: minor-key music isn't always sad
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
hi Sam I missed you

Yup there is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ-GwxyJ2ZY
by Messiaen

I'm cheating because while the chords are predominantly major chords, the whole thing is constructed by an octatonic scale and the melody is modal rather than tonal.

Still it's one of the saddest pieces I've heard!

For a rather happy track with minor chords almost exclusively: http://www.nikolas-sideris.com/stuff/thalecres1.mp3
by me... ;\)

#445136 - 03/24/08 03:02 PM Re: minor-key music isn't always sad
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I've always found Schubert to be the opposite - his major key works always seem to have a hint of sadness in them.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#445137 - 03/24/08 03:22 PM Re: minor-key music isn't always sad
Robert Kenessy Offline

Loc: Enebyberg Sweden
isn't the rondo à la Turca ('turkish march') by Mozart (of which the only sad thing is, it's so overplayed) in A minor?
The saddest or gravest piece in major I know is the E major prelude of op 28 of Chopin.

.. it seems to me that the inherent nature [of the piano tone] becomes really expressive only by means of the present tendency to use the piano as a percussion instrument - Béla Bartók, early 1927.

#445138 - 03/24/08 03:47 PM Re: minor-key music isn't always sad
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
 Quote:
Originally posted by pianojerome:
...are there any minor-key piano pieces that, to your ears, sound happy?
The example that immediately springs to mind would be the Beethoven 1st Concerto, last movement, A minor subject. Happiest minor I've ever heard... and fun to play.

#445139 - 03/24/08 03:49 PM Re: minor-key music isn't always sad
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Canada
I've always found major seventh chords to be sadder than minor chords. They have a sad, wistful, somewhat nostalgic quality to them, more powerful than the straight minor chords.

#445140 - 03/24/08 04:24 PM Re: minor-key music isn't always sad
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
 Quote:
Originally posted by Kreisler:
I've always found Schubert to be the opposite - his major key works always seem to have a hint of sadness in them. [/b]
Yes! For happy minors and sad majors you can't go past Schubert.

And if you want to hear someone wring the last drop of anguish out of a major key, try the adagio of Mahler's 10th symphony.

#445141 - 03/24/08 05:12 PM Re: minor-key music isn't always sad
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
Ethnic dances such as Italian Tarantellas (spiders)and Israeli are usually minor, but the rhythms, tempos and accents make them happy.

To be sad, I think the quality of plaintive needs to be a characteristic. There do not have to be words, although those are excellent clues, the native instruments would have the capacity of naturally plaintive sounds as well as the capacity of the instrumentalist (human).

Several of Chopins Preludes (B, Cm, Em) are among the saddest I hear - I think it's because of the isolation and rain - living in Majorca in a monestary dwelling and being very, very ill. I hear a thudding, resonating heartbeat in my ears whenever I play these, and I get tears in my eyes, it is quite an experience.

Betty

#445142 - 03/24/08 11:43 PM Re: minor-key music isn't always sad
Fleeting Visions Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Champaign, IL
Good point.

#445143 - 03/25/08 12:30 AM Re: minor-key music isn't always sad
Ferdinand Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Beethoven op. 111 second movement. Beyond sad.

#445144 - 03/25/08 03:20 AM Re: minor-key music isn't always sad
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I remember being a kid and reading the preface to some old edition of Chopin etudes and (I think in reference to op. 10, no. 4) the editor mentioning an old saying, the gist of which was that Poles were happiest when they were sad. That always stuck with me, and has sometimes served as a good reminder not to get too simple-minded about the affect of any given piece of music. Funny thing, later in life, I had a good friend who really often was happiest when sad, totally relishing it and wallowing in it.

#445145 - 03/25/08 07:06 AM Re: minor-key music isn't always sad
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
 Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Kenessey:
isn't the rondo à la Turca ('turkish march') by Mozart (of which the only sad thing is, it's so overplayed) in A minor?
[/b]
The piece switches back and forth between major and minor keys.

#445146 - 03/25/08 09:40 AM Re: minor-key music isn't always sad
timbo77 Offline

Loc: Singapore
for sad major pieces, the second movement of shostakovich's piano concerto is worthy of mention.

#445147 - 03/25/08 10:50 AM Re: minor-key music isn't always sad
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
Just as "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" I believe that the perception of sadness of a piece of music is in the ear and mind of the listener. What one person may find sad, another may find extremely calm and relaxing without a hint of sadness; evidence shows that the opposite is also true.

While sadness in and of itself is not beautiful, the expression of it can be. As Shelley observed in "To a Skylark" :
"Our sincerest laughter
With some pain is fraught;
Our sweetest songs are those that tell of saddest thought."

Regards,

#445148 - 03/25/08 01:40 PM Re: minor-key music isn't always sad
Janus K. Sachs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Betelgeuse, baby!
Well, if "sad" and "happy" are the only things that can be expressed in major and/or minor modes, music would be a rather dull art.

I mean, take the first movement of Beethoven's Third Concerto in C minor. I've heard some people describe the it as "tragic." To my ears, it is assertive, fiery, and dramatic, but certainly not "sad" ala the titanic conflict of the first movement of the Fifth Symphony, the Appassionata, or most of the Op. 95 quartet, to say nothing of the cataclysmic first movement of the Ninth Symphony. And the last movement of the Third Concerto has a good amount of playful caprice and good humour -- qualities that aren't limited to the major-key sections.

I completely laughed my head off when the fictional Beethoven of Immortal Beloved (blech!) described the fiery but far from "sad" first movement (in A minor) of the Kreutzer Sonata as the agitation of a lover who is late for a tryst!

Besides Schubert, Mozart is another composer who often uses major keys for expressing "sadness" and related affects. Both of the Countess's arias from Figaro are in major keys (Eb and C), but they express melancholy, pensiveness, and (in the first aria) even thoughts of suicide! Mozart's use of melodic contour (such as a big rising leap that then falls by a step) and non-chord tones (particularly suspensions and accented passing tones that are held longer than their resolutions) communicate the character's anguish. Or take Per Pieta from Cosi fan tutte. It's in E major (!), but it is full of anguished self-searching.

Once one is familiar with how Mozart uses major keys for darker affects in his operas, one becomes aware of how often this occurs in many of his major-keyed instrumental works/movements, such as the slow movements of the 40th Symphony (Eb major), the 24th Piano Concerto (Eb major), the 17th Piano Concerto (C major), the A minor Sonata (F major), the D major String Quintet (G major), or the "Hunt" Quartet (Eb major). Even the 27th Piano Concerto (in Bb major), particularly its first movement, has many shades of melancholy. Or take the lovely, pensive D major slow movement from the 12th Piano Concerto, which was written in memory of J.C. Bach (who befriended Mozart).

I wouldn't call the last movement of Brahms's First Piano Quartet "sad" just because it is in G minor. It is full of fiery bravura and abandon, but tragic it is certainly not (go to the Fourth Symphony for that!). And while I'm in gypsy mode, Liszt's 19th Hungarian Rhapsody (in D minor) is far from "sad" either. And if you want playfullness in the minor mode, look no further than Brahms's B minor Capriccio Op. 76 #2.

Other "sad" major-keyed works/movements:
Slow movement of Beethoven's Op. 2 #1 (I always thought of this as reflecting how Beethoven was forced to deal with the ugly side of life from an early age, since the main theme was borrowed from an earlier piano quartet)
Slow movements from both of Brahms's piano concerti
Brahms's Op. 117 #1 Intermezzo
Finale of Mahler's Ninth Symphony
Slow movement of Mendelssohn's Op. 80 String Quartet

Other "happy" (or not necessarily "sad") minor keyed works/movements:
Second movement of Mahler's Tenth (mostly in F# minor, yet exuberant)
Schubert's earliest A minor sonata D. 537/Op. 164 (definitely far from sad -- and incidentally the slow movement of this work was the source of the main theme of the last movement of the A major D. 959 sonata)
Last movement of Rachmaninov's Second Concerto
Scherzo of Beethoven's Op. 74 ("Harp") Quartet (fiery playfulness)
"Scherzo" section of Liszt's First Concerto
Chopin's C# minor prelude from Op. 28
Rachmaninov's Etude Tableux in B minor Op. 39 #4

There are many more, of course, and I'll add to this list when/if my memory kicks in. Of course, BruceD's observation that sadness and happiness reside in the ears (hmm, what an image!) and mind of the listener applies!

P.S.: There is, of course, the case of Elgar's Second Symphony in Ab major, which takes Shelley's Invocation (which begins: "Rarely, rarely, comest thou,/Spirit of Delight!") as a motto.
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.

#445149 - 10/24/08 02:26 PM Re: minor-key music isn't always sad
pianoloverus Online   content

Loc: New York City
Please ignore. I got into an link to this old post by mistake.

#445150 - 10/28/08 05:14 PM Re: minor-key music isn't always sad
Jan-Erik Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Finland
Not very sad music in minor key:

Griegs's "Elves dans", "Småtrold", and "Bäcken" from Lyrical pieces.

- - - - -

Sad music in major key:

Rachmaninoff's Etude-Tablaeu Op 33/2

#445151 - 10/28/08 07:50 PM Re: minor-key music isn't always sad
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Janus Sachs:
There is, of course, the case of Elgar's Second Symphony in Ab major, which takes Shelley's Invocation (which begins: "Rarely, rarely, comest thou,/Spirit of Delight!") as a motto.
Ummm... Eb? ;\)

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
163 registered (36251, 255, A Guy, ajames, 47 invisible), 1456 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75984 Members
42 Forums
157145 Topics
2307923 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
theme and variations trivia question
by beet31425
14 minutes 53 seconds ago
1950s Zimmermann
by MaxR
Today at 02:17 PM
Piano with Willie
by Nikalette
Today at 12:58 PM
How to practice a fast piece for amateur competitions
by RonaldSteinway
Today at 11:56 AM
Cromatic lead in Elton John song
by Visalia
Today at 11:56 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission