Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#484847 - 07/25/08 11:55 PM Wheaton Conservatory in Chicago
Colin Thomson Offline

Have you heard or know about the Wheaton Conservatory in Chicago? This is the website:

http://www.wheaton.edu/Conservatory/

It is part of the Wheaton Christian University, but is a real and true conservatory. I was looking at this as a school option, as I doubt that I would be able to make it into something like Boston Conservatory or New England (probably my first two choices, though I will probably still apply there). It seemed like a good mid-range conservatory.

I was wodering if anyone here had any experience with this school, and what their thoughts were on it. I would be applying for composition, though I would love to minor in piano perofrmance.

Also, what do you think my chances of getting in are like? I meet all the Christian and moral standards, by the way. And here is my myspace where you can listen to a couple of my compositions:

http://www.myspace.com/colinthomson

Please let me know anything about this school, as well as if you think I could make it in at my current composition level.

Hopefully later I can upload some sheet music of my compositions for your critique.

Thanks in advance!

New sight reading material in your student's inbox, every day

www.SightReadingAcademy.com

Colin Thomson

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#484848 - 07/26/08 07:25 AM Re: Wheaton Conservatory in Chicago
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I know nothing about the composition department, but I do know Dan Horn and can definitely recommend him. I also know one of his former students and she always spoke well of her time at Wheaton.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#484849 - 07/27/08 02:29 PM Re: Wheaton Conservatory in Chicago
CherryCoke Offline
500 Post Club Member

I grew up near there, in fact my girlfriend in high school lived just down the street from the college. I had a couple lessons and performances there, though not with the core faculty, so I can't really comment there. It seems decent enough, in terms of facilities and whatnot.

It should be noted, however, that Wheaton is not really in or particularly close to Chicago. Still maybe 45 mins minimum from the city, so if you were looking for big city life, it's not there.

#484850 - 08/20/08 01:14 AM Re: Wheaton Conservatory in Chicago
Vonette Offline

Loc: Eastern WA
I attended Wheaton back in the late 80's, early 90's. It is an excellent liberal arts school with a very respectable conservatory. I was a literature major who minored in piano. My piano prof was Dr. Karin Redekopp Edwards (concert pianist and excellent teacher!). I think she still teaches there.

The level of education at Wheaton in general is very high, as are the expectations of all the profs. My husband also attended there (Communications major) before going on to get his Master's at NIU in Dekalb. His feeling was that most of what he covered in Dekalb's Master's program was merely a review of stuff he had learned as an undergrad at Wheaton. Consequently, he finished NIU with a 4.0!

I can't directly address the subject of getting into the Conservatory since I was not a music major. But I can say that getting into Wheaton is not easy. When I applied, I was told that less than half of the applicants were accepted. I have heard that since then it's gotten much tougher. You need a high GPA and a strong list of accomplishments, plus a good entrance interview. They are not just looking for good students -- they are looking for people who are motivated to make a difference in the world "For Christ and His Kingdom" (school motto).

In regards to location, Wheaton is indeed about 45 minutes from the Loop, but there is a Metra (train) station on the edge of campus that makes it simple to get downtown. The town of Wheaton itself is lovely and quaint. Not that there is much time to go site-seeing and goofing off. Wheaton students spend a lot of time studying!

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A REALLY Indirect Blow Action
by Steve Cohen
09/18/14 09:01 AM
Bone chilling ending to pieces
by lacrymosa85
09/18/14 08:44 AM
help with finger numbers in this piece...
by PianoKimmy
09/18/14 05:35 AM
Most Difficult?
by SiFi
09/18/14 01:21 AM
What is most common size wire to break?
by Ed McMorrow, RPT
09/18/14 12:19 AM
Who's Online
121 registered (accordeur, ajames, Al LaPorte, 3times2, 43 invisible), 1221 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76237 Members
42 Forums
157600 Topics
2314936 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission