Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#448361 - 02/25/09 09:05 PM Metronomes. acoustic or digital?
Mike088 Offline

Loc: New Westminster, Canada
Is there general consensus amongst piano teachers as the best type of metronome for students studying piano?

When I was a student, I used the acoustic wooden triangular box type that clicked so beautifully. That has been one of my favourites still today- it also functions as a visual reference too.

Are these "acoustic" metronomes still today considered accurate enough and recommended by teachers?

Or is digital the only way to go for a perfect meter?

Which is the type of metronome most teachers recommend today?

Thank you for any opinions,

Mike

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#448362 - 02/25/09 09:12 PM Re: Metronomes. acoustic or digital?
wdot Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: South Carolina, USA
I doubt anyone buys an acoustic metronome anymore unless they are just interested in history. They are expensive. They are certainly accurate enough, so long as you can see the little lines on the pendulum. But you do need to wind them. If they are on a surface that isn't completely level, well, then the beat won't be even.

If you're looking to buy, go digital.

#448363 - 02/25/09 09:15 PM Re: Metronomes. acoustic or digital?
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

As much as I love the looks of a fine Wittner metronome, I'd say a digital metronome will be far more practical.

#448364 - 02/25/09 09:21 PM Re: Metronomes. acoustic or digital?
FormerFF Offline

Loc: Roswell, GA, USA
I have a Dr. Beat DB-30. In a few seconds I can dial up any rhythm and tempo that I'll ever need.
Piano self teaching on and off from 2002-2008. Took piano instruction from Nov 2008- Feb 2011. Took guitar instruction Feb 2011-Jul 2013. Can't play either. Living, breathing proof some people aren't cut out to make music.

#448365 - 02/25/09 09:34 PM Re: Metronomes. acoustic or digital?
packa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
I have and use both, but prefer the mechanical model. I like the waving stick that I can catch from the corner of my eye as it tells me not just the beat, but where I am within the beat (sort of like the conductor's baton). The Taktell plastic mechanical metronomes are not particularly expensive (compared to the fancy models in wooden cases) but are perfectly suitable.
Estonia L168 #1718

#448366 - 02/25/09 09:44 PM Re: Metronomes. acoustic or digital?
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by packa:
I have and use both, but prefer the mechanical model. I like the waving stick that I can catch from the corner of my eye as it tells me not just the beat, but where I am within the beat (sort of like the conductor's baton). The Taktell plastic mechanical metronomes are not particularly expensive (compared to the fancy models in wooden cases) but are perfectly suitable. [/b]
You have a point there.

#448367 - 02/25/09 09:46 PM Re: Metronomes. acoustic or digital?
chihuahua Offline

Loc: An Oligarchy
Is it my gut feeling - are electronic ones a little[/b] more precise than mechanical ones?

Nevertheless, I have been using the same old mechanical one for the last 2 decades \:D

#448368 - 02/25/09 09:52 PM Re: Metronomes. acoustic or digital?
Palindrome Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
If I use a mechanical metronome I usually have to shim up one side or the other to get it to beat regularly. Many electronic ones, though, have a beat that's too "sharp," causing discomfort to my ears. Overall, I prefer electronic, if I can put up with the sound.

#448369 - 02/25/09 09:53 PM Re: Metronomes. acoustic or digital?
Philip Yeoh Offline

Loc: Penang, Malaysia
I've been using a Korg KDM-1 digital metronome for as long as I can remember, and I love it. No more winding, just give it a 9V battery and it keeps an accurate beat even when it's set to a very slow pulse. The volume can be adjusted, there's an earphone jack if you want to pound the beat into your head (don't!) and there's a nice red flashing light. The only thing it doesn't have is an electronic bell and there's no provision for irregular beats.

But I heard that Korg's KDM-2 has everything including the kitchen sink!

#448370 - 02/25/09 10:52 PM Re: Metronomes. acoustic or digital?
John Pels Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tomball, Texas
All of my students use a Matrix MR600. It is a decent workhorse and is reasonably efficient with batteries. It has a volume control and is priced at around $40 here and there on the net. I also use the pitch function when I am chipping my piano rebuilds up to pitch. I have metronomes that date back to around 1960. The mechanicals and older electronics are far from accurate in comparison, but let's face it how accurate does it need to be? It just needs to be a steady click. I use the Matrix daily.

#448371 - 02/25/09 11:56 PM Re: Metronomes. acoustic or digital?
allegro_concerto Offline

You can also download metronome from the internet and use this from your laptop/computer:

http://www.pinkandaint.com/weirdmet.shtml

Its free.

#448372 - 02/26/09 12:37 AM Re: Metronomes. acoustic or digital?
AdlerAugen Offline

Loc: Hawaii
As has been mentioned: the electronic metronome is more liable to be precise. Furthermore, if you're a piano major like me, who can afford the space in a bag to stick an acoustic metronome in? If I were able to always use the same piano without others using it as well, I'd be tempted to stick an acoustic metronome on it for the novelty, but other than that it seems to me like they're outdated antiques. That's not to say I dislike them.

Oh, as for visual reference many digital metronomes have lights on them that go on besides just the sound when it 'clicks.'

#448373 - 02/26/09 02:38 AM Re: Metronomes. acoustic or digital?
pianobuff Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest
I only have and use a mechanical one. I like the fact that it is acoustic like my piano.

The only thing that bothers me is that when the piano is being played, it tends to vibrate, thus creating a buzzing sound when not in use.
Therefore I'm always putting it in the other room adjacent to my music room when I'm not using it.

#448374 - 02/26/09 03:27 AM Re: Metronomes. acoustic or digital?
Mike088 Offline

Loc: New Westminster, Canada
Wow,
I am amazed at all the interesting responses to this post! I think I am now ready to write a book about metronomes!
This has been very helpful everyone. Thank you.

#448375 - 02/26/09 04:00 AM Re: Metronomes. acoustic or digital?
anhmytran Offline

Loc: Hartford, CT 06106
I only use the metronome when I was a student and when I teach a new student. I do not recomend it to my students.

When I teach a new student, I wave my hand as the metronome, or I clap my hands widely as the metronome. In doing that, I show my student the visual of the beat, and I can vary the beat during their time. If the student can make the music after the session, I do not require her to practice her homework with the metronome. That is the affect that my students do not play Piano like a machine. They can make a music with any directors, or playing freely without any even beats.

That is the reason I recomend my student to purchase the wooden metronome that have a hand to wave for the beats.

#448376 - 02/26/09 07:03 AM Re: Metronomes. acoustic or digital?
Philip Yeoh Offline

Loc: Penang, Malaysia

Thought PW readers might like to see the Korg KDM-2 digital metronome in all its glory. The product details and specs can be found here.

Now where did I put my credit card \:D

#1153985 - 02/27/09 02:57 PM Re: Metronomes. acoustic or digital? [Re: John Pels]
whippen boy Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
I'd say both are accurate enough for a musician's needs.

Digital ones may fit in your pocket and have a few extras, but to me there is nothing like having a wooden metronome on the piano. It makes a nice visual statement and exudes tradition and history.

It is the same with wristwatches; some people prefer digital watches, but others have a passion for the craftsmanship of a traditional timepiece. smile

#1154195 - 02/27/09 07:55 PM Re: Metronomes. acoustic or digital? [Re: packa]
Canoxa Offline

Originally Posted By: packa
I have and use both, but prefer the mechanical model. I like the waving stick that I can catch from the corner of my eye as it tells me not just the beat, but where I am within the beat (sort of like the conductor's baton). The Taktell plastic mechanical metronomes are not particularly expensive (compared to the fancy models in wooden cases) but are perfectly suitable.
You can subdivide the beat even more easily in digital metronomes, no?

Not to mention some, like Boss's TU80, also have a waving stick going on and on around the LCD.

Edited by Canoxa (02/27/09 07:56 PM)

#1154238 - 02/27/09 09:34 PM Re: Metronomes. acoustic or digital? [Re: Canoxa]
Arghhh Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Who would have thought you could get two pages of responses on a metronome question? I just have to add my thoughts too now.

At home I have a mechanical metronome that has a feature that no digital metronome has - an automatic speed-up feature. The weight that slides up and down is a slightly too loose so when I put the metronome at 120 and play for a while, I'll stop it and find that its gone up to 130. Having to stop and wind the thing can be useful too to get a short break so you can stop, refocus, and then listen better to the beat.

#1154277 - 02/27/09 11:01 PM Re: Metronomes. acoustic or digital? [Re: Canoxa]
packa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
Originally Posted By: Canoxa
You can subdivide the beat even more easily in digital metronomes, no?

Perhaps, but that really isn't how I use one. I tend to work with "bigger" slow beats rather than lots of ticking little micro-beats. In 4/4 work, I often set the metronome for 2 or even 1 beat per measure since I'm usually working on macro tempo issues. I don't use the metronome to work through detailed rhythm issues.
Estonia L168 #1718

#1154323 - 02/28/09 01:02 AM Re: Metronomes. acoustic or digital? [Re: packa]
pno Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: ♪oron♪o, on♪ario, canada...
I would say neither! You need a biological metronome!

#1154326 - 02/28/09 01:17 AM Re: Metronomes. acoustic or digital? [Re: pno]
daviel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Waxahachie, Texas
I have to have a metronome. My cp33 in the house has its own internal metronome, and I have an electrical one(some euro made device probably 20-30 yrs old) in my garage studio on the keyboard out there. I have an acoustic one for decoration but it does work.

David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas

#1154368 - 02/28/09 02:43 AM Re: Metronomes. acoustic or digital? [Re: packa]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: packa

I have been using a Taktell for many years, and it seems pretty good. I wonder about its precision sometimes and think maybe I should get a digital, but I just don't want to add another battery operated thing in my life unless I really really have to. This may sound strange, but I actually enjoy winding the thing up.

#1154487 - 02/28/09 09:43 AM Re: Metronomes. acoustic or digital? [Re: wr]
GregoryP Offline

Loc: Casa Grande, AZ
I bought a Yamaha ME150BK digital metronme in Singapore a couple of years ago and have been very happy with it, battery lasyed for 2 years before I had to replace it. Does everything you could possibly want to do.

#1154493 - 02/28/09 09:57 AM Re: Metronomes. acoustic or digital? [Re: chihuahua]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London UK
What stlye of music? Maybe not for classical, but in lighter styles a drum machine set to a suitable pattern can be much more inspiring.

Accuracy doesn't matter a jot. But regularity does. The requisite number of beer mats under one corner of an acoustic metronome usually sorts any problems out :-)

#1154539 - 02/28/09 11:02 AM Re: Metronomes. acoustic or digital? [Re: Exalted Wombat]
terminaldegree Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
I used to love the acoustic type because of the sound and looks, but have transitioned to exclusively digital metronomes. Main reasons are portability and the ability to dial up tempi that are extremely slow-- I like to practice with one click per bar a lot of the time.
Casio px-200, Bechstein A190 #192939 @ home
Steinway A #585209, B #416809 @ work
Schimmel 130T #339100, on loan

#1154544 - 02/28/09 11:06 AM Re: Metronomes. acoustic or digital? [Re: terminaldegree]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
I use an electronic metronome after the mechanical one took a dive off the piano, ruining it. The mechanical metronome never worked well. The first battery in the electronic lasted over a decade.

#1154591 - 02/28/09 12:34 PM Re: Metronomes. acoustic or digital? [Re: John Pels]
Happy Birthday Wilson Frazão Offline

Loc: Portugal
Digital never fails...

#1154661 - 02/28/09 01:54 PM Re: Metronomes. acoustic or digital? [Re: Exalted Wombat]
alannamarie Offline

Loc: Clarington, Ontario
I personally like my acoustic. The digital sounds bother me - they don't seem natural or musical to me. As well, I like the visual you get when the arm swings with the beat. & you don't have to spend a fortune to get a decent acoustic one!

#1155650 - 03/02/09 12:52 AM Re: Metronomes. acoustic or digital? [Re: alannamarie]
Clestin le Possd Offline

Loc: Quebec
I have both, and I like them both. The digital one is easy to carry, and most of them have different subdivisions choices.
I also like the fact that you can either put earphones or plug them into an amp. (But I'm also a percussionist, so sometimes I just don't ear my metronome...)
The mechanical one has the visual, as has been pointed out.

My favorite is the Boss Dr.Beat DB-30. Small, easy to carry, lots of rhythms (even claves!), earphone plug.
Second choice would be any well-working mechanical.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Lock Key -> what is it used for ?
by angga888
Today at 12:02 AM
Yurmauer Piano
by PhilipInChina
Yesterday at 11:54 PM
Books to Learn Notes for Teenagers?
by pianoheart
Yesterday at 11:37 PM
Jim Laabs Music - my experience buying a grand sight-unseen
by ernani
Yesterday at 09:44 PM
Buying a Grand Paino Sight-Unseen - my personal experience.
by ernani
Yesterday at 09:01 PM
Who's Online
72 registered (Anne H, angga888, 0987654321, Anticlock, Adypiano, 21 invisible), 1570 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76712 Members
42 Forums
158628 Topics
2329762 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission