Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#963011 - 11/21/08 10:38 AM Teaching minor scales
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I have a student who has been playing major scales chords and arpeggios in all keys, one octave. He has gone around the circle of fifths 2-3 times, and now in his repertoire he is beginning to play pieces in minor keys.

What's the best way to introduce minor scales? When I learned them my teacher had me play in the natural minor first I believe (it was so long ago!). Perhaps she had me play the major scale to get the sense of the key, and then the relative natural minor. After doing all the keys like this, I think then she had me play just the minor scales in all 3 modes (natural, harmonic, melodic).

How does this progression sound to you? When you teach minor, do you ignore the modes and just do harmonic?
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#963012 - 11/21/08 11:00 AM Re: Teaching minor scales
Gyro Offline
4000 Post Club Member

One could argue that you don't even need
to do the minor scales, since they are
essentially the same as the maj. ones,
as the natural min. uses the same
notes as it's related maj. scale. But
if you're going to do them, then the
argument could be made that you can
skip the natural min., since it's essentially
the same as it's related maj. scale.
The melodic min. is the same as the
natural min. downwards and is almost
the same as the harmonic min. upwards,
and so you might skip the melodic min.
too, which leaves only the harmonic min. to
do.

In any case, min. is essentially just a variaton
of maj., and so maj. and min. are so closely
related as to almost interchangeable
in music, and so dwelling on min. as
distinct from maj. might not even
be worthwhile.

#963013 - 11/21/08 11:14 AM Re: Teaching minor scales
keystring Offline

Loc: Canada
Morodiene, is it ok to share what we did mostly in theory since it addresses part of what you wrote? When we began major scales I asked my student to listen to how the leading note leads into the tonic, and that it was a semitone.

The first minor scale was the natural minor of its relative major, starting three note names below or the 6th degree above. She listened to its minor sound, and knew that the same notes were being played.

When this was comfortable I drew attention to the 7th note, which does not "lead", and she experimented with how it sounds when raised. She could hear how the leading note of an harmonic scale does lead, and one reason that it exists. I then taught that this was an harmonic scale, and that one accidental or raised note was easy to grasp and remember.

This is in the context of a young adult learning theory in another country so mostly it doesn't apply. But for undestanding the concept and structure it helped me and seemed to help this student, so I hope it's ok to mention it.

#963014 - 11/21/08 11:44 AM Re: Teaching minor scales
pianoexcellence Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Abbotsford, BC, Canada
Nothing revolutionary, and I'm sure you've thought of this (since you mentioned the natural minor first).

I just ask the students to play a major scale starting on the 6th note.

Once that is firmly etched in their mind, we deal with the harmonic and melodic with the "feeling" of reaching or sagging near the tonic.

This works well for about 80% of my students.

Jeremy BA, ARCT, RMT
Pianoexcellence Tuning and Repairs

#963015 - 11/21/08 11:45 AM Re: Teaching minor scales
Morodiene Offline

Sure, that is how I teach the difference between natural and harmonic minors as well, keystring. My main question is which scale to teach first to a student, or which order to teach them.

#963016 - 11/21/08 12:05 PM Re: Teaching minor scales
eromlignod Offline

Loc: Kansas City
Minor scales are of limited value in piano practice. They are much more useful with other monophonic instruments that have actual "fingerings".

With the clarinet, for example, where you must learn to flow through melodic passages using individual, bizarre fingerings for each note and do it quickly and smoothly, scales and various Hanon-type excercises are indispensible.

But for the piano, the key layout is so intuitive and the ten-finger, polyphonic fingerings of even mundane music are so varied, that scales and other single-note excercises are of limited value. I think their use had been established long before the invention of the piano and they were simply adopted as the standard way to learn any instrument.

Generally, even in conservatory environments, only the seven basic, white-key, major scales and the chromatic scale are regularly practiced. Everything else is learned from etudes and selection of actual pieces that progressively expose the student to increasingly complex techniques.

Don
Kansas City

#963017 - 11/21/08 12:16 PM Re: Teaching minor scales
keystring Offline

Well, I hesitated in writing, Morodiene - It was perhaps mostly to say how well this worked for me as a student, and the other person I am teaching, in case. I hope I haven't offended.

#963018 - 11/21/08 12:18 PM Re: Teaching minor scales
Pete the bean Offline

I teach my students minor scales and the modes. It is a essential requirement of the Rockschool course. It is extremely useful when teaching theory and improv.
I teach both parallel and relative approaches but I find altering the major scale to create the parallel minor (b3b6b7) is the best way to teach the minor scales. Then I go through b3 b6 to crreate Harmonic minor and just b3 for Jazz minor Not only does the student understand how the new mode or scale is created but it reinforces the notes of the major key.

#963019 - 11/21/08 12:35 PM Re: Teaching minor scales
John v.d.Brook Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Morodiene, I'm not sure I'm the right person to help you here, as when I joined Guild, I had to dramatically change much of my teaching methodology (the "when to teach this" aspect) to conform with their exam criteria.

For years and years, I did the five finger patterns and primary chords, I, V7, and IV, through all the major keys, then slowly expanded to scales. It wasn't a real priority for me, but I knew that students needed the basics, and I didn't want any of them going off to college not knowing at least a passable presentation of scales.

When I started Guild, I had to totally revise much of my curriculum. I had to introduce scales almost immediately, but limited them to one octave, and the white keys only (F, C, G, D, A, E, & B). Then the harmonic minor, same keys. I start with c minor, then g minor, then a minor, then a minor, followed be f, e, and b.

I teach the scales and chords by rote, not using note reading. At this point, I want students to listen and think about what their doing, not focus on reading.

Guild requires this for 1st to 2nd year students, and for 2nd to 3rd year students, the remaining major and minor scales, which I teach in this order: F#, C#, Ab, Eb, and Bb. By year three, we also expand to two octaves. To make this a bit less confusing, by the end of the first year of lessons, they should be able to play the white key major and minor scales, and at the end of the second year, add the black key major and minor scales, and by the end of the 3rd year, everything in two octaves, at the end of the 4th year, 3 octaves in triplets.

#963020 - 11/21/08 12:57 PM Re: Teaching minor scales
Morodiene Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by keystring:
Well, I hesitated in writing, Morodiene - It was perhaps mostly to say how well this worked for me as a student, and the other person I am teaching, in case. I hope I haven't offended. [/b]
Not at all! That is exactly how I teach the scales, but I just was questioning the order. \:\)

#963021 - 11/21/08 01:00 PM Re: Teaching minor scales
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Speaking as a student, my teacher has me do each major scale and then all three variations of it's relative minor. \:\)

#963022 - 11/21/08 02:29 PM Re: Teaching minor scales
Morodiene Offline

John,
Do you ever address natural and melodic minors then?

#963023 - 11/21/08 02:52 PM Re: Teaching minor scales
pianobuff Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Hi Morodiene,

This is the order I teach scales:

C, G, F, D, Bb - 2 octaves. Along with tonic triad inversions, arpeggios, basic chord progression.

After these are mastered we then go back to C, and I teach A minor. First week, natural scale explaining why it is its relative. The next week we add harmonic, then melodic (of course depending on student, I may teach each form a week, but for most they get the grasp pretty quickly.) I then have them play all three forms: natural, harmonic and melodic. Along with the other skills listed for major.

After they have played C/a, G/e, F/d, D/b, Bb/g,
we then go on to A major. After that key is mastered, we immediately learn A major's relative minor (f# minor) (all three forms.) We finish the Circle of Keys in this way.

#963024 - 11/21/08 03:35 PM Re: Teaching minor scales
7000 Post Club Member

Morodiene, the answer is yes, but not until students are ready for Baroque music, which is generally around year 4.

#963025 - 11/21/08 03:37 PM Re: Teaching minor scales
7000 Post Club Member

Pianobuff, I used to use the C/a, G/e, F/d, D/b, Bb/g, approach, but then in recent years, I shifted to C/c, G/g, D/d, etc., and I have them play them that way after they've learned them. It appears that the students find this less difficult/complex to grasp, so I've stuck with it for a while.

#963026 - 11/21/08 04:41 PM Re: Teaching minor scales
keystring Offline

John, I don't want to be a pain, but what happens when you get past four sharps or flats? I happened to be looking at these last night.
(re: tonic major** & minor instead of relative)

** Edit: It seems that what I've been taught to call tonic major/minor might be called parallel key. I learned "tonic major / relative major"

#963027 - 11/21/08 07:04 PM Re: Teaching minor scales
7000 Post Club Member

Oh, you're not being difficult at all. The maximum number of black keys is 5, and B major uses all 5. As do F# and C#. Then it's progressively fewer black keys.

When I teach B major, and again when teaching F# and C#, I point out that these are the 3 easiest scales to play, the keys that pianists prefer, because it fits our hands so well. Finger 2 and 3 play the two black keys in the group of two, and 2, 3, and 4 play the group of three black keys. The only question is where does the thumb go. Students like these three scales because they can suddenly see that in fact, they are the easiest to play. Now, if you teach them from the score . . . . . we're talking about the voyage to you know where.

#963028 - 11/21/08 08:06 PM Re: Teaching minor scales
keystring Offline

John, I might muddy the waters since this is for playing piano and I thought in theory. You're going G/g A/a and you can go all the way to the end in sharps signatures. But Db Gb Cb and a# d# g# don't have a tonic* on the other side. There is no "db minor" or "A# major". But this isn't pianistic thinking. That's where my mind was going.

Quote:
Students like these three scales because they can suddenly see that in fact, they are the easiest to play
I just learned them and I love them too! All must should be written in those signatures ;\)
 Quote:
Now, if you teach them from the score . . . . . we're talking about the voyage to you know where.
You're teaching them away from the score? That's how I find I'm learning them.

* Edit: "tonic major/minor" as I was taught is A major / a minor - but it seems this might be called the parallel key from what I'm seeing here. (?)

#963029 - 11/21/08 08:12 PM Re: Teaching minor scales
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
 Quote:
Originally posted by Pete the bean:
I teach both parallel and relative approaches but I find altering the major scale to create the parallel minor (b3b6b7) is the best way to teach the minor scales. Then I go through b3 b6 to crreate Harmonic minor and just b3 for Jazz minor Not only does the student understand how the new mode or scale is created but it reinforces the notes of the major key.
That's very close to what I teach: major, then lower 3, then 3 and 6, then 3, 6 and 7.

#963030 - 11/21/08 11:04 PM Re: Teaching minor scales
Pete the bean Offline

When teaching scales past E or Ab in the key cycle loaded with sharps or flats, I like to emphasize white notes. Suddenly it's not all about the flats.

#963031 - 11/22/08 04:37 AM Re: Teaching minor scales
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
Use of a linear chart which compares scales allows the student to establish a mental model of differences ... in the key of C (60)where the notes have been numbered (as the 5-minute divisions on a clock face) ... the yellow colour captures the consistent scale notes keynote, supertonic, subdominant, dominant and octave ...
while the blue shows use of the chromatic run of notes in the minor melodic scale between the dominant and the octave.

They say " a picture tells .... "

comparative scales

#963032 - 11/22/08 10:12 AM Re: Teaching minor scales
Morodiene Offline

Quote:
When teaching scales past E or Ab in the key cycle loaded with sharps or flats, I like to emphasize white notes. Suddenly it's not all about the flats. [/b]
This is what I do as well...it's much easier than thinking about all the sharps or flats!

#963033 - 11/22/08 12:24 PM Re: Teaching minor scales
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
When teaching scales past E or Ab in the key cycle loaded with sharps or flats, I like to emphasize white notes. Suddenly it's not all about the flats. [/b]
Again, I do the same thing. The most difficult scales to teach are the ones with 3 and 4 flats or sharps, for that reason…

#963034 - 11/23/08 04:28 AM Re: Teaching minor scales
pianobuff Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by John v.d.Brook:
Pianobuff, I used to use the C/a, G/e, F/d, D/b, Bb/g, approach, but then in recent years, I shifted to C/c, G/g, D/d, etc., and I have them play them that way after they've learned them. It appears that the students find this less difficult/complex to grasp, so I've stuck with it for a while. [/b]
Hi John,

I personlly find the opposite is true. Teaching parallel minor scales at the beginning is way more confusing because of the different key signatures. I do teach parallel minor scales after my students have a thorough grasp of relative minor.

#963035 - 11/23/08 04:29 AM Re: Teaching minor scales
pianobuff Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Yes, I do this too!

#963036 - 11/23/08 04:32 AM Re: Teaching minor scales
pianobuff Offline
1000 Post Club Member

For fun, and I don't meant to derail the thread, but what is the easiest major scale for you (teachers) to play?

Mine is E Major, and it has four sharps, but it is so comfy to play.

#963037 - 11/23/08 04:37 AM Re: Teaching minor scales
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
 Quote:
Originally posted by pianobuff:
For fun, and I don't meant to derail the thread, but what is the easiest major scale for you (teachers) to play?

Mine is E Major, and it has four sharps, but it is so comfy to play. [/b]
B major and C#major are my favourites. Least favourite is B flat major.

#963038 - 11/23/08 05:30 AM Re: Teaching minor scales
lotuscrystal Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
B major hands down for me, and maybe B minor harmonic...I like the way my finger 4 feels the stretch from G to A#...lol

#963039 - 11/23/08 02:24 PM Re: Teaching minor scales
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

In general B, Gb, Db and F should be the easiest scales to play hands together, because the thumbs always strike at the same time. Less coordination problems. If this group, F is least comfortable.

C, D, D, G, A and Ab all have thumbs together once. Now Ab is the odd one.

Eb is one that needs to be studied separately. One thumb always hits with 2 of the other hand.

Bb is the only scale in which the thumb of one hand comes with 3 in the other. That makes Bb the most awkward, hands together. It needs special attention.

For those who need scales absolutely nailed, all 12, I spend extra time with students on Ab, Eb and Bb. When there is a major shift of fingering from major to minor, parallel or "tonic", extra care is needed.

#963040 - 11/25/08 02:02 AM Re: Teaching minor scales
Pete the bean Offline

I teach the scale tone chords to my intermediate/advanced students. It is a must have to playing contemporary styles and improvisation. Unfortunately I find this lacking in the standard technical requirements. How can you study harmony without the skill in your fingers?
I keep getting students who wanna play pop after they are at a Gr8 or 9 level. I have rarely had a student make the switch because they do not have basic harmonic knowledge and they do not want to go back and start sound like a beginner. \:\(

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What happpened to the "edit" button?
by jim ialeggio
09/22/14 07:38 AM
AMusA reports?
by Badinage
09/22/14 07:03 AM
Dipabrsm starting as an adult?
by Franz Beebert
09/22/14 06:37 AM
Just Checked out a Richmond Studio upright
by Paul678
09/22/14 06:01 AM
Piece ID
by IstvŠnE
09/21/14 10:14 PM
Who's Online
95 registered (Anne'sson, AndresD, Allard, 36251, 30 invisible), 1085 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76285 Members
42 Forums
157685 Topics
2316109 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission