Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
128 registered (36251, accordeur, Anita Potter, ando, 37 invisible), 1566 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#968093 - 09/09/04 10:55 PM MP3 from the June 26, 2004 Recital
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member

The following are some of the recordings from a joint Recital held on June 26, 2004 in Westford, Massachusetts by Philip, Tim, and myself (see PianoRecital.org ).
The above are full-length "Piano World Exclusive" MP3 music clips.

We have more 30~60 second MP3 clips of other pieces we performed in the recital here: http://www.PianoRecital.org/Recital2004Album.shtml

;\)

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#968094 - 09/10/04 09:49 PM Re: MP3 from the June 26, 2004 Recital
markjpcs Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Excellent!

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to each of them.

Thank you for sharing.

Mark

#968095 - 09/11/04 07:01 AM Re: MP3 from the June 26, 2004 Recital
Sarah Jennings Offline

Wow! I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the clips this morning. Wish I could have been there in person! The 30-60 second clips left me wanting to hear more....

- sj

#968096 - 09/13/04 07:02 AM Re: MP3 from the June 26, 2004 Recital
Calin Offline

Loc: Bucharest
Congratulations on a very nice performance Axtremus. What piano did you use at he recital?

Calin

The Bechstein piano discussion group: http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/bechstein/
The Schweighofer piano site: http://schweighofer.tripod.com

#968097 - 09/13/04 07:14 AM Re: MP3 from the June 26, 2004 Recital
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Calin, the piano was a New York Steinway B (I am guessing built in the 1960's, but not sure). There was one "extra plinky" high treble note (forgot which one) that we could hear and could see in the piano that a technician has tried to fix it and failed. A few other plinky notes spread over the treble, also some noisy dampers and pedal trap work. Most of the problem noises probably got lost in the recording process though. The recording process thinned out the sound quite a bit more than my likings, to be honest. (No, we did not record the recital ourselves. We hired professionals to do it. But there is no editing/mastering done at all, except cutting out pauses, applause, and other such noise from the audience before and after each peace -- and that, I did myself.)

#968098 - 09/13/04 07:46 AM Re: MP3 from the June 26, 2004 Recital
Calin Offline

Loc: Bucharest
The piano sounds quite good. Not perfect, but not bad either.

Calin

The Bechstein piano discussion group: http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/bechstein/
The Schweighofer piano site: http://schweighofer.tripod.com

#968099 - 09/25/04 08:51 PM Re: MP3 from the June 26, 2004 Recital
paulie567 Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Hi Axtremus, I just listened to the Op. 45 prelude, and wow -- I've never heard it played anywhere near that fast! You did a great job at performing it, but it was just a surprising and interesting interpretation for me. I slowed it down to 50% using some software I have (while preserving the pitch) and then it sounded more like I'm used to hearing it! Do you always play it that fast, and have you heard other recordings of it that way?

There are no tempo indications in any of the editions I have, so I can't say either way (slow or fast) is right. I seem to play it at a speed of around 78 per quarter note. I didn't time your recording but I'm guessing it's at around 80 per half note?

#968100 - 09/26/04 07:46 PM Re: MP3 from the June 26, 2004 Recital
Googlism Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
I prefered this recording of the prelude simply because it sounds much better and 'salon' like when played fast \:\)

BTW I noticed that you didn't play the cadenza - is it hard?

"... It is a skill you go on learning all your life: the more you write, the more you learn."

Harry Freedman on the craft of composing

#968101 - 10/04/04 08:52 AM Re: MP3 from the June 26, 2004 Recital
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member

paulie567,

Yes, I played the Op.45 Prelude faster than other recordings I've heard. I have not hear other people's recording of it until I've learnt the piece. The faster speed is what made the most sense to me personally in terms of "singing the melody" in the right hand. Later, I heard a couple of the Op.45's recordings, one by Idil Biret, the other I forgot by whom. Both recordings were much, much slower than how I played it. Couldn't stand either interpretation -- too slow and too much drag for my taste, couldn't shape the phrases well when each phrase drags out sooooo looooong. So I stuck to my original tempo. (Frankly, even if Chopin had marked the slower Idil Biret tempo, I would ignore it.)

If I were to do it over again, though, I would change two things: (1) Slow it down by ~10% or so, it will still be feel like it's twice as fast as Idil Biret's recording, but a bit slower than the mp3 above. (2) Put even more rebato into it.

Googlism,

With regards to the cadenza, I played it once many years ago in another recital. I never liked it. I haven't touch this Prelude for many years and had to relearn most of it. I just don't consider it worth the effort to relearn the cadenza for this recital seeing how much I disliked it in the past. So I junked the cadenza this go round.

Not having to answer to any piano teacher or recital jury any more, I get junk whatever sections of a piece I don't like and play at whatever tempo I like. It's very liberating. ;\)

#968102 - 10/06/04 04:40 AM Re: MP3 from the June 26, 2004 Recital
Stahlbrand Offline

Loc: Sweden
I have now listened to the recordings of the Prelude, Polonaise and Waltz by Chopin and I am very impressed.

The Prelude is fast as pointed out above and it was a bit chocking at first but it was interesting to listen to it in this tempo. Makes another Prelude of it really. It is played almost flawless according to my ears and with very good use of pedal and dynamics. But my advice would still be to slow it down a bit to make it "sing" better.

The op.22 Polonaise is an extremely difficult piece to perform well (the intro is much much easier) and very few pianist dare to have it in their repertoire. I remember Yundi Li played it the Chopin Competition year 2000.
The performance is very very good even though there are some mistakes here and there and the pianist is not always in perfect control in the high fast RH passages, I am still incredible impressed and I could never do this piece as well as in this recording.

The Waltz is also very good. Delicate use of the pedal in the A-part that is a bit unique but fits very well to my taste. A mistake in the LH low bass at one occasion in the beginning of the B-part and maybe a too distinct increase of tempo to the B-part but otherwise, very high quality.

I am only missing the applause in the end!

#968103 - 02/03/05 04:26 PM Re: MP3 from the June 26, 2004 Recital
princessclara2005 Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Impressive live performances....Adante Spianato was well controlled....Grand Polonaise Brillante wasn't that well controlled...I think there is not so great contrast on dynamics, and the tempo is a little less solid, maybe you were a little nervious at first? 2nd theme was better presented. There could be more rubato interperated, and maybe not so in hurry toward the ending....however, I do understand performance is such a challenge to mind and body....overall, well done.

#968104 - 02/21/05 10:32 AM Re: MP3 from the June 26, 2004 Recital
victor kam Offline

Loc: Malaysia
Axtremus,
Do you know what mics were used in the recordings? How was the piano miked up?
Thanks.....
Yamaha CS (8ft 3in)#1198650, Steinway hammers on Tokiwa shanks and Isaac Profundo S bass strings.
Yamaha UX 2499771; Casio PX-3 keyboard

#968105 - 03/20/05 12:11 PM Re: MP3 from the June 26, 2004 Recital
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
I just found this part of the PianoWorld board!

What great fun to hear members playing.

Thank you for sharing. There is nothing like hearing another pianist's interpretations to give us inspiration.

Roberta (you will never hear me play now!!! LOL!)

What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
is my piano tunable
by d3c0
Today at 05:45 PM
SSHD running VST
by daz100
Today at 05:01 PM
do you recommend further service?
by ShannonG
Today at 04:34 PM
Is this now real enough?
by Philip_Johnston
Today at 04:21 PM
Quick question
by Phil Greenough
Today at 03:51 PM
Forum Stats
77398 Members
42 Forums
160066 Topics
2350623 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission