Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
74 registered (angga888, Auver, AndyP, 23 invisible), 1105 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1018266 - 03/11/05 02:07 AM Books about Piano and Playing (not sheet music)
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
I have noticed lots of book titles flying around lately and was thinking that it would be nice to have a list somewhere. (So I know what to shop for when I visit the U.S. next!)

I'll start, and please add any you know of or have actually read, especially those that relate to the specific needs of us ABs.

A Soprano On Her Head. by Eloise Ristad, about performance anxiety. (thanks for the recommendation Jodi!)

The Inner Game of Music (I hope that's the right title, from the "Inner Game of Tennis" folks)

Piano Lessons (by Noah Adams, about his experience taking up piano as an adult)

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1018267 - 03/11/05 02:36 AM Re: Books about Piano and Playing (not sheet music)
jon-nyc Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: the left bank -- of the east r...
Great thread, ShiroKuro - I'm interested to see what the people here post.

Here are two that I like:

Seymour Fink "Mastering Piano Technique" - a fantastic guide to developing technique, focusing on body mechanics amd movement.

Boris Berman's "Note's from the Pianists Bench" - this is like a master classs in a book. I like him because he has good practical advice and is not dogmatic.

#1018268 - 03/11/05 02:48 AM Re: Books about Piano and Playing (not sheet music)
Ballyhoo Offline

Loc: Australia
I'm currently reading "Piano Mastery: The Harriette Brower Interviews". I find it really really interesting, but not overly helpful with improving my playing. It has interviews with famous pianists and/or their students. Those included, among many others, are Padarewski, Backhaus, Gabrilowitsch, Godowsky, Cortot, Gieseking, Hess, Prokofiev, and Rachmaninov.

#1018269 - 03/11/05 02:52 AM Re: Books about Piano and Playing (not sheet music)
HermanM Offline

Loc: Newport, VA
"The Piano Shop on the Left Bank" is a great read for enjoyment. (I liked it better than the Noah Adams book)

"Making Music at the Piano" by Barbara Maris has some interesting insights about playing in general.

#1018270 - 03/11/05 10:44 AM Re: Books about Piano and Playing (not sheet music)
Octavia Offline

Loc: California
 Quote:
Originally posted by HermanM:
"The Piano Shop on the Left Bank" is a great read for enjoyment. (I liked it better than the Noah Adams book)

"Making Music at the Piano" by Barbara Maris has some interesting insights about playing in general. [/b]
Herman,

I agree about "The Piano Shop on the Left Bank" and enjoyed it much more than "Piano Lessons", although I found it odd and frustrating that the author (Chad ?) would never just come out and say what pieces he was learning or working on.

#1018271 - 03/11/05 10:57 AM Re: Books about Piano and Playing (not sheet music)
teachum Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: idaho
With Your Own Two Hands by Seymour Bernstein is interesting. It gets quite technical, but it's a book that I can "grow" into. It's quite inspirational as well.

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany

#1018272 - 03/11/05 11:40 AM Re: Books about Piano and Playing (not sheet music)
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
i too have Bernstein's "with your own two hands" and have read most part of it, quite interesting.

i also have Seymour Fink's "Mastering piano technique", a very helpful technique book.

i have many other piano related books, but those 2 i read often.

#1018273 - 03/11/05 02:47 PM Re: Books about Piano and Playing (not sheet music)
MusicMagellan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
Since I'm essentially self-taught, I think I've read just about every piano book generally available, including all those mentioned here (except for "Soprano etc.").

One I highly recommend to all AB's, especially those who are mainly self-taught, is Charles Cooke's "Playing the Piano for Pleasure."

P.S. does anyone here have Fink's video that mates with his book?

#1018274 - 03/11/05 03:05 PM Re: Books about Piano and Playing (not sheet music)
teachum Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Cooke's book is really great Magellan - But have you checked out the price????? It is out of print and rare. Last time I looked it was like $50.00. I read my sister's copy and really enjoyed it.

#1018275 - 03/11/05 03:11 PM Re: Books about Piano and Playing (not sheet music)
MusicMagellan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
Ouch! Yes, Teachum. I just saw that on Amazon.com. What a shame.

People in the USA might still be able to borrow a copy from their libraries.

#1018276 - 03/11/05 03:30 PM Re: Books about Piano and Playing (not sheet music)
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
musicmagellan (you really need a nickname) - we are alot alike... I own Playing the Piano for Pleasure - bought it for a dollar \:\) reading it always..

love and peace, ├Ľun (apple in Estonian)

#1018277 - 03/11/05 03:59 PM Re: Books about Piano and Playing (not sheet music)
Hen3ry Offline

Loc: Longmont, Colorado
Ditto on "The Piano Shop on the Left Bank" - especially if you are fascinated in pianos themselves.

My piano teacher recommended "Jean Christoff" by Romain Roland but I have been unable to locate a copy - has anyone read this?

Kevin

#1018278 - 03/11/05 05:39 PM Re: Books about Piano and Playing (not sheet music)
DameMyra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Jersey
"With Your Own Two Hands" is a wonderful book. (My teacher studied with Seymour Bernstein. \:\) ) It does get into technical matters, but it also covers things like practicing, memorization, performance and nervousness. There's also an interesting examination of the student/teacher relationship. Bernstein has another terrific book about the basic "movements" in piano playing entitled "20 Lessons in Keyboard Choreography."

Another of my favorite books is "On Piano Playing" by Gyorgy Sandor.

#1018279 - 03/12/05 07:45 AM Re: Books about Piano and Playing (not sheet music)
W8LX Offline

Loc: Columbus Ohio
I bought a copy of "Piano: Guided Sight-Reading" by Leonhard Deutsch last night at a used/vintage bookstore. The tease on the back cover states things such as:

---
DON'T do finger exercises, scales and dreary drills.
DON'T suffer through Cramer, Clementi, Czerny
Fingering comes naturally - if you forget about it.
Coordinating your ears, eyes, and hands.
The psychological "secret" of reading music at sight.
---

We'll see how it reads, at ~100 pages there can't be a great level of detail. It might make good bathroom reading material, but the "Encyclopedia of Bad Taste" appears to be more fun.

Rob

#1018280 - 03/12/05 04:40 PM Re: Books about Piano and Playing (not sheet music)
Zaccix Offline

Loc: London, UK
Hi, everyone. Saw this topic and thought I should make my first post at last. \:\)

While it's not strictly about piano playing, "Starseeker" by Tim Bowler is a great fictional story about a gifted 14-year old pianist who is synaesthetic and also hears sounds and melodies that no-one else can. A lot of music is mentioned in the book, like Scriabin's Etude Op. 2 No. 1 and Debussy's The Snow Is Dancing. I highly recommend it.

As an aside, my sig is a quote from the book.

#1018281 - 03/12/05 04:46 PM Re: Books about Piano and Playing (not sheet music)
teachum Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Apple - YOu must have found Playing Piano for Pleasure at a garage sale? Obviously, someone did not know what a treasure they had.

#1018282 - 03/12/05 05:32 PM Re: Books about Piano and Playing (not sheet music)
tk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles County
Welcome, Zaccix!

I'll have to see if I can find a lot of the books already mentioned. Here are a few that I've purchased within the last few months:

"The Piano Handbook" by Carl Humphries
"Piano Technique" by Walter Gieseking & Karl Leimer
"The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory"

To be honest, I haven't read much of any of them, but from what I have read, they seem promising.

#1018283 - 03/13/05 01:42 PM Re: Books about Piano and Playing (not sheet music)
Zaccix Offline

Loc: London, UK
Thanks, tk.

I've read an excerpt from "The Piano Shop on the Left Bank" and I think it'll be my next book purchase. It seems like a mellow book, which suits me fine.

#1018284 - 03/22/05 07:30 AM Re: Books about Piano and Playing (not sheet music)
nottasmartman Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest
I saw a book this weekend called "Handful of keys" by Alyn Shipton. It's about 30 interviews with some "legendary" jazz pianists. It looks pretty good.

On the fiction side Body & Soul by Frank Conroy is a good book. Well written and pretty entertaining.

On a side not after reading this thread I ordered the Playing Piano for Pleasure book from the abebooks.com site for far less than the $50 Amazon was trying to get for it. Hopefully it's in decent shape.

#1018285 - 03/22/05 10:59 AM Re: Books about Piano and Playing (not sheet music)
Mathilde Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois, USA
Arthur Loesser's Men, Women and Pianos : A Social History is absolutely superb. Fascinating, fun, and informative.

#1018286 - 03/22/05 12:00 PM Re: Books about Piano and Playing (not sheet music)
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
i am reading a book i happened to find in a library: "The Piano" written by a bunch of people: P.E.Belt, M.Meisel, D.Adlam, W.J.Conner, C.Ehrlich, R.Winter, J.B. Robinson, S.Bradshaw, Harold.C. Schonberg (The New Grove Musical Instruments Series).

it's a fascinating book with the following chapters:
1 - history of pianos
2 - paino playing (Classical, Romantic, 20th century and Jazz)
3 - pianists (Liszt, Leschetizky, Slavonic, German and French school, etc.)
4 - piano music (from before classical sonata to after WWII)

(keep reading...)

#1018287 - 03/23/05 08:53 AM Re: Books about Piano and Playing (not sheet music)
2crabz Offline

Loc: SE of Disorder
I've read "Effortless Mastery-Liberating The Master Musician Within" by Kenny Warner. Relates more to a mind set, with mind techniques/affirmations.

For anyone with an interest in Boogie Woogie history-"A Left Hand Like God-A Study Of Boogie-Woogie" by Peter Silvester is a worth while read.

TJ

#1018288 - 03/23/05 09:24 AM Re: Books about Piano and Playing (not sheet music)
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
After you've read Men, Women and Pianos, you might want to look up Men, Women and Tenors by Francis Alda. It's about opera, not pianos, but it is a lot of fun. No doubt it was the inspiration for Loesser's title, although a lot sassier!

A book that was inspiration for me and excellent for adult beginners is Peter Yates' An Amateur at the Keyboard.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bottom of hammer hitting top of damper on upright
by JoeThePro
12/21/14 10:09 PM
Getting better
by Kekewak
12/21/14 07:35 PM
Pearl River vs. Samick
by Zekk
12/21/14 03:41 PM
Kawai vs. Yamaha: what to choose
by SeeSharp
12/21/14 02:19 PM
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
12/21/14 01:15 PM
Forum Stats
77391 Members
42 Forums
160048 Topics
2350363 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission