Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1112633 - 01/02/07 09:48 PM Mozart Fantasy in D minor Study Group
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

This beautiful piece is great Recital piece!
One of my friends says that even after all these years, he still keeps it in his rep. It is a great piece worth learning and re-learning if you learned it back in the dark ages (pre 1993 \:D ) Anyway, I'd like anyone that wants to join to post here please... Its really a gem! Free editions can be found there: http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/dlpage_new.cfm?composition_id=1017

It looks and sounds alot harder than it really is...

Members:[/b]

-Debussy20
-joemoshi
-AdagioM
-Sonata

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1112634 - 01/02/07 11:11 PM Re: Mozart Fantasy in D minor Study Group
joemoshi Offline

Loc: Canada
Count me in.

This is a lot easier than the Rachmaninoff prelude. I just downloaded the sheet music as well as the Midi.

I managed to sight read the first three pages (of course at much slower speed).

I have to admit it is a beautiful piece and the melody is superb. It is also easy to play.

#1112635 - 01/03/07 06:09 AM Re: Mozart Fantasy in D minor Study Group
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Yes its alot easyier than the Rach...thats why I like it a lot. Ive been working on it for about a month and have completed about 2 and a half pages (memorized as well). But its just as pretty and well known (kinda) as the Rach. And its a great learning piece thats not too hard....i'm surprised there arnt more people joining...

Matt

#1112636 - 01/03/07 10:59 PM Re: Mozart Fantasy in D minor Study Group
AdagioM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Okay, I'll give it a try. I started it in September but stopped early on because of other distractions. Back to the bench.

http://pdxknitterati.com

#1112637 - 01/03/07 11:01 PM Re: Mozart Fantasy in D minor Study Group
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Welcome aboard! Its late here and I have school in the morning, so i'll post what i was going to post tommorow.

Matt

#1112638 - 01/04/07 02:28 PM Re: Mozart Fantasy in D minor Study Group
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida

#1112639 - 01/04/07 03:50 PM Re: Mozart Fantasy in D minor Study Group
joemoshi Offline

At my age it feels a little odd to compete with people so young, but I am not deterred.

#1112640 - 01/04/07 04:23 PM Re: Mozart Fantasy in D minor Study Group
Sonata Offline

Loc: AK, NZ
I've played this one for a long time, and I still need polish the second part, at this moment, I'm learning the other pieces, but I'd like to go back to this one again, so I'll join the group. \:\)

#1112641 - 01/05/07 01:45 AM Re: Mozart Fantasy in D minor Study Group
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
Thanks loly for the Utube link to the lass playing the Mozart Fantasia in D minor.

Couldn’t help making a sketch of the little lady doing her impressive thing.

She has memorized the piece ... has beautiful lithesome long-fingered hands and romps through the quick bits with youthful abandon. Some heavies might like to fault the excessive elbow flap and the hands not maintaining a steady
horizontal datum over the keyboard ... but until the young lady develops some muscle in those slim arms ... she is doing a handsome job ... especially with the pretty little racy close.

Somebody close ... give her a hug.

Imagine being so engrossed in the Mozart genius ... and she’s only 14 years old (my guess) ... what a way to go!!

#1112642 - 01/05/07 02:16 AM Re: Mozart Fantasy in D minor Study Group
Patty39 Offline

Loc: Germany, near Cologne
Btb, you're an artist - this sketch is absolutely beautiful! And it reflects the young lady and the mood brilliantly!

As for the piece - the only thing I play from Mozart is a little Sonatina that always gives me a happy feeling (Mozart is fun). I've tried Sonata 545 first movement for ages, but to be honest, it is not mine. The fantasy appeals to me much more - I think I'll give it a try, but it'll take time, is there any deadline? You'll all learn it probably much faster than I.

Well, anyway, thank you for introducing me to this piece.

Patty

#1112643 - 01/05/07 04:13 AM Re: Mozart Fantasy in D minor Study Group
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Patty39,
You obviously have special language skills acting as a translator near Koln ... as a sprog architect I can remember parking my motorbike in front of the Cathedral and wondering why the giant
edifice seemed to lack French flair ... big but rather brutal.

While in Koln ... you must buzz down the Rhine (about 30km) and visit the birth place of Beethoven ... climbing that steep wooden stair
to the upper level atelier to a large room ... made up to mirror the mature Beethoven’s working environment ... complete with Broadwood piano ... ear trumpets ... and the perfect setting for the Beethoven legendary impression of untidiness ... if you are lucky you might even find a half-eaten piece of Wiener schnitzel on the grand (perhaps not!).

Back to the Mozart Fantasia ... the beauty of the piece for a beginner is that it divides into manageable bits ... easy Andante and Adagio tempos
and brisk Presto single measures which can be approached separately.

The 11m Adagio carries the Intro Theme followed by a 13m Adagio are well worth the effort of mastering because of the immaculate and polished
score ... the neatness of the structure makes for easy sight-reading. Don’t blanche at the Presto measure ... save this as an on-going exercise
to perfect your fingering ... the next 10m Adagio is a gem of Mozart’s ability to frame a vibrant RH outline over a drumming bass.
Easy to get right.

Enough for now ... don’t let the fast bits scare you ... you are on to a good thing in giving the Fantasia a bit of a trundle.

#1112644 - 01/05/07 07:04 AM Re: Mozart Fantasy in D minor Study Group
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Patty - thanks for joining! There is no deadline whatso ever... we'll probably set up a timline for the piece (like page one 2 weeks ect.)

Matt

#1112645 - 01/05/07 07:54 AM Re: Mozart Fantasy in D minor Study Group
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
Wowie nice sketch you guys are so talented I hope some of it rubs off on me. :p

I like going to you tube to see what some of these pieces sound like. I like looking at peoples technic I try to adopt the good ones.

I did notice her elbow flapping and from all of her other videos it seems to be something she can't get rid of. She started lessons when she was 7 years old and she's now 10. I certainly can't judge talent since I'm basically a beginner and I think she's fantastic but I can't sense the emotions from a more experienced player or even other little prodigies like Jonathan Gilat, who at the age of 7 could make you cry when he played.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKQmoZURbLY&mode=related&search

I think he's a midget and they just tried to pass him as a 7 year old at the time. teeeeeheeeee

#1112646 - 01/05/07 02:28 PM Re: Mozart Fantasy in D minor Study Group
Patty39 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Debussy20:
Patty - thanks for joining! There is no deadline whatso ever... we'll probably set up a timline for the piece (like page one 2 weeks ect.)

Matt [/b]
Gulp! I should have known better than to try to keep up with you , young people learn faster.

No, honestly, I think 1 page per 2 weeks is perfectly ok. Well, except the presto parts... maybe they have a trick, I haven't looked at them too closely.

See you!

Patty

#1112647 - 01/06/07 04:15 AM Re: Mozart Fantasy in D minor Study Group
AdagioM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
the presto parts: it's all in the fingering! find a pattern that works for you. i'll try to get to mine (too much excitement around here to pick it up this weekend) and let you know what was recommended to me.

later, m

http://pdxknitterati.com

#1112648 - 01/06/07 07:30 AM Re: Mozart Fantasy in D minor Study Group
Margareth Offline

Loc: Estonia
The youtube link is good but I don't suggest to listen only to that one as an example. My humble opinion is that while she's technically good she still has a way to go regarding the dynamics and emotions. She definately is really good at the piano but listen to a professional recording of this piece - I was amazed when I first heard a pro recording.
It's a very beautiful piece. I'm not joining right now because I have other works in progress but I might do it later this year.

#1112649 - 01/06/07 11:59 AM Re: Mozart Fantasy in D minor Study Group
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Attitude is definitely not everything if it results in the mask of feigned superiority.

#1112650 - 01/06/07 12:31 PM Re: Mozart Fantasy in D minor Study Group
Margareth Offline

Loc: Estonia
to: btb
I'm very sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I am not in any way underestimating this little girl. She's definately doing great and I tried to make that clear in my post, too.
I try to explain the longer story: I listened to that piece for many times from youtube from this girl. After listening to it so much I once happened to listen to a pro recording and was amazed at how good it was.
It's unfair to compare a pro and the one who is not a pro (yet) so i'm not comparing them. I was just trying to help that others wouldn't only rely on that recording. I was just sharing my experience. I'm sorry if it sounded what you called it \:\(

#1112651 - 01/06/07 12:42 PM Re: Mozart Fantasy in D minor Study Group
Mike White Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: 90 miles West of New Orleans
Here is a recording I made from Classical Music Archives by running a midi file through my Yamaha Keyboard. It was keyed by someone named E. J. Garcia Estefan. I hope this may be of assistance to those of you who are studying this piece.
http://www.box.net/public/i40igh8lei

Mike White

Yamaha G3 & P-80 Digital

#1112652 - 01/06/07 01:18 PM Re: Mozart Fantasy in D minor Study Group
Patty39 Offline

Sidenote on the above - the internet is just unforgiving, it needs a lot of explaining to get messages across as intended.

I have found another amateur recording and am now listening to the last one - interesting how much room the piece leaves for interpretation.

MATT - this is not fair! You have just started this group and now claim in the recital thread that you only need to do some polishing

I'll stick to the "1 page per 2 weeks" (and anyway it said somewhere that this piece is intermediate - meaning that it'll cost me till next christmas to learn it all and play it decently, poor Mozart in his grave )

Patty

#1112653 - 01/06/07 02:29 PM Re: Mozart Fantasy in D minor Study Group
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I'm sorry patty,
When I posted this thread its true i had not learned the entire piece but over the last few days ive really steped it up a notch and practiced my heart and hands out. I have really been working very hard on this piece...I have a lot more to do polishing wise, but it is true ive learned the notes.

Matt

#1112654 - 01/06/07 04:31 PM Re: Mozart Fantasy in D minor Study Group
Patty39 Offline

Fabulous! Then you'll be the first to post it \:D

Patty

#1112655 - 01/06/07 05:17 PM Re: Mozart Fantasy in D minor Study Group
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

\:D

#1112656 - 01/06/07 05:20 PM Re: Mozart Fantasy in D minor Study Group
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by btb:
Imagine being so engrossed in the Mozart genius ... and she’s only 14 years old (my guess) ... what a way to go!! [/b]
Shes acctualy 10 years old shocking what kids can learn at a young age

#1112657 - 01/06/07 09:10 PM Re: Mozart Fantasy in D minor Study Group
joemoshi Offline

I can now play the Andante (so so). Next I will tackle the Allegretto but slowly.

#1112658 - 01/07/07 12:22 AM Re: Mozart Fantasy in D minor Study Group
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Hello Margareth from Estonia,

Sorry to sound off like a grandfather ... we’re all trying to widen our keyboard repertoires ... and the resolute 10 year old girl (she looks 12)
provides visible evidence that Mozart Fantasia in D minor is within the Beginners Forum scope ... especially when broken up into neat little work sections ... the genius of the Mozart “breathing holes”.

None of us will rival Brendel ... but it won’t be for lack of trying ... the whole idea is to encourage even the most backward of our
enthusiastic Mozart following.

Just a word of newcomer advice on the opening 11 measure Andante. Don’t let the triplets and dotted notes throw you ... essentially Mozart
is introducing the key of D minor and does so in a gracious linking of arpeggios in two hands ... there is no need to exaggerate the dynamics of the opening D or labour the dotted half note D ... try to read the dotted notes as merely part of the chain of triplets so that the arpeggiated
repeating note patterns flow smoothly.

Measures 7 and 8 peak four arpeggios in a downward moving sequence which prepares the way for the stepped ladder to m9 followed by the
serrated downward descent in m10 ... you can catch your breath at m11 ... before taking on the close harmony Adagio.

#1112659 - 01/07/07 02:04 PM Re: Mozart Fantasy in D minor Study Group
Ragnhild Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
I find the Fantasia a beautiful piece and a little different from the other Mozart I have tried to play. (And that little girl on Youtube does present it with a personal interpretation that you would not expect from 10 year old.)

I will have little time to spend on it, and I will be the last one to post any results but I will read carefully and maybe ask some questions.

Ragnhild

#1112660 - 01/07/07 09:55 PM Re: Mozart Fantasy in D minor Study Group
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Your right Ragnhild, this piece is a little "out there" for Mozart. This is why it is so important to learn. btw - the last 10 measures were not composed by Mozart and many are unsure who really composed the ending

Matt

#1112661 - 01/09/07 07:03 AM Re: Mozart Fantasy in D minor Study Group
Ragnhild Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
Matt, I don't know if you are the "study group leader", You are maybe too busy with the Rach-prelude, but it would be nice to hear you play the Fantasy.

I have a question about fingering in the second Presto part. (I use to start with the most difficult parts). At the end of it there is a chromatic scale from low A and nearly three octaves up to an F(nat). What fingering should I use for this? (My Henle edition says nothing, probably bacause chromatic scale is supposed to be "standard", but since I am self-taught...)

Ragnhild

#1112662 - 01/09/07 07:46 AM Re: Mozart Fantasy in D minor Study Group
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I am at school right now, my edition gives all the fingerings and I will be posting them later. Have Fun! \:D

Matt

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Von fremden Lndern und Menschen tempo
by hreichgott
Yesterday at 10:43 PM
Another Kawai ES7 warning
by bjorn of brekkukot
Yesterday at 08:41 PM
Olga Vinokur, Piano Concert Nov. 9, Lowell, MA
by Piano World
Yesterday at 08:21 PM
Yamaha P155 synth/midi question
by sdrep
Yesterday at 07:36 PM
Pianist, Dutch magazine - nr 2 release 31 oct
by Johan B
Yesterday at 06:30 PM
Who's Online
81 registered (36251, AZNpiano, Anne H, AnimistFvR, 22 invisible), 1711 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76724 Members
42 Forums
158658 Topics
2330051 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission